Songs of Experience XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If U2 don't release something new by I heart, they're finished.

Nah, they'd just be the group that dumped an album into iTunes without permission pissing everyone off followed by the only group ever to go to iHeart without new material and play 25 and 30 year old songs to 15 year old kids.

Trending downward with little chance of coveted relevancy for 'the kids', perhaps, finished, not quite yet... but very close.

having read all these threads for the last several months, i don't understand why anyone is thinking that this is not going to be the lead single for SOE. Is it simply because of what happened with Invisible? Seems to me there is about to be a new single with album immediately or in november, or early 2017 at latest. don't really understand why anyone thinks they release a one off and go away, they are not going to make that colossal mistake twice.

having read all these threads for the last several months, i don't understand why anyone is thinking that this is not going to be the lead single for SOE. Is it simply because of what happened with Invisible? Seems to me there is about to be a new single with album immediately or in november, or early 2017 at latest. don't really understand why anyone thinks they release a one off and go away, they are not going to make that colossal mistake twice.

It's just that a couple of posters who know people 'in the know' have heard that the band has/is getting cold feet. I think there was mention of the tour being pushed back (again), beyond next spring, indicating a big delay.

But they're clearly working on something - they had enough done of TBT to get Kygo to remix it, and now Lillywhite is clearly mastering it. And they likely want to have at least something to play at these two upcoming gigs, even if they don't have an album ready.

So all of that put together is what has made some of us speculate that a standalone single is a possibility.

On the other hand, we've also heard they're scrambling to mix the whole album right now, so they haven't given up, and Gvox (who i definitely trust) hasn't heard anything negative. So there's still a good chance for an album soon.

I feel like we're on the precipice right now!

So I read through the posts over the past hour or so and I have cracked it!!!!!

There was talk of a cat video and AIDS and charity work.....The Best Thing is clearly a charity single to benefit feline AIDS.

Boom Interference, you're welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's the number one killer of domestic cats.

The Stones are still releasing music? That's what I mean by "standing"

By 'Standing' I thought about a band still touring and active in the music world. They still manage to play in front of 200,000 people sold-out crowds and the band's combined ages amount to...365 years ! Now that's what I call a 'supergroup' still standing today :wink:

to quote Keef a few years back on Fallon : 'After being on tour for 50 years...did I say that ?' :lol:

Who would have thought that Keith would still be alive today !

Last edited:
Maybe the plan for iHeart is to announce new 2017 tour dates with tickets to go on sale soon after. A spring tour would probably be looking at ticket sales around now under the O'$eary format.

Could someone explain to me the definition and importance of mixing? I get that it can dramatically alter arrangements, but you would think that if the band were happy enough to step back, go on holiday and let someone else 'finish' the record, there couldn't be that much left to do?

Unless it's more a case of them painstakingly tweaking and deciding between alternate mixes to get it juuuuust right. But that would seem like last-minute finishing touches that u2 always does, rather than something that would delay the album into next year?

ok, so i actually went and listened to the Lillywhite section of the podcast, and there are two bits of important info that aren't totally conveyed by the article.

First, he said - I may have a bit of big news in a week or two about something i've been working on. Now, That could mean released in one or two weeks, or U2 is gonna let him know in one or two weeks if they like his mix and then the song will come out after that.

Second - He does say more definitively it is U2. He's asked if it's BO NO. and Lillywhite, Says, yes you like to call him Boneo, But its pronounced Bono...

So, yes U2, maybe very soon, maybe not...

Last edited:
Could someone explain to me the definition and importance of mixing? I get that it can dramatically alter arrangements, but you would think that if the band were happy enough to step back, go on holiday and let someone else 'finish' the record, there couldn't be that much left to do?

Unless it's more a case of them painstakingly tweaking and deciding between alternate mixes to get it juuuuust right. But that would seem like last-minute finishing touches that u2 always does, rather than something that would delay the album into next year?

Unless they're only focused on finishing one song and not happy with songs 8-11 on the album and want to tweak them throughout the fall.

I am an audio engineer, not a working pro at the moment, but

Mixing can involve many aspects. First is creating space in the song. depending on panning and eq'ing and effects, you can create a vastly different atmosphere of a song.
Also, he will have access to dozens of vocal takes, guitar takes, bass lines, etc.. that can be edited and "comped" to create very different final outcomes of the song itself.
Then effects that can be used in thousands of different ways, each one setting the song apart from another mix...

I am an audio engineer, not a working pro at the moment, but

Mixing can involve many aspects. First is creating space in the song. depending on panning and eq'ing and effects, you can create a vastly different atmosphere of a song.

Also, he will have access to dozens of vocal takes, guitar takes, bass lines, etc.. that can be edited and "comped" to create very different final outcomes of the song itself.

Then effects that can be used in thousands of different ways, each one setting the song apart from another mix...

And this would mean whatever arrangement they play live could change, necessitating a few weeks of rehearsal.

Has anyone made the connection of prominent keys parts in The Best Thing and Terry's extended rehearsal with U2?

If sillywhite has the final mix, and terry is rehearsing with them, it could all be happening right now.

Single this Friday?

giphy.gif

It could certainly explain a 'delay' from what Chrisedge had heard that they wanted to have the mix just right.

Everyone is describing it as a special song and U2 are probably so scared about getting the mix wrong because it is heir last shot at real relevance.

It could certainly explain a 'delay' from what Chrisedge had heard that they wanted to have the mix just right.

Everyone is describing it as a special song and U2 are probably so scared about getting the mix wrong because it is heir last shot at real relevance.

Interesting observation about the "special song" comments. I really liked TBT, but I'm getting the feeling that this is a different song they are talking about.

I feel like TBT is really good, catchy, etc... But wouldn't think of it as special.

Yeah, I've had literally zero time to check this thread at work today. All I can really decipher here is that Alan Cross says he ran into Lillywhite who says he's mixing the new single (Alan is somewhat credible. Has burned us before but doubt he'd make this up).

Have I missed anything else or was I plain lucky enough to miss a really stupid conversation about Supergroups?

Yeah, I've had literally zero time to check this thread at work today. All I can really decipher here is that Alan Cross says he ran into Lillywhite who says he's mixing the new single (Alan is somewhat credible. Has burned us before but doubt he'd make this up).

Have I missed anything else or was I plain lucky enough to miss a really stupid conversation about Supergroups?

You were lucky

That's the gist of it - that and noone wanting to put a notch in Alan Cross' win column lol.

But there, I'll do it ;)

That's the gist of it - that and noone wanting to put a notch in Alan Cross' win column lol.

But there, I'll do it ;)

:D

And technically, I guess Alan didn't really "burn" us. I think on his blog he mentioned that NLOTH had or was going to leak, and then it didn't until a week later. Hardly burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom