Songs of Experience - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't kept up to date with tour rumours, but based on whatever they are (and assuming SoE comes out in 2016), roughly when this year would you guys expect the album to be released (or even announced)?

August / September release most likely I'd say. The tour rumours are for late this year, and they'd need a month to get the songs right on stage

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've listened to/watched the end of that Fender video like 5 or 6 times now. It really is a "killer groove" and the chorus section has a very "up" sound underneath the Bonglonese.

Hype.

August / September release most likely I'd say. The tour rumours are for late this year, and they'd need a month to get the songs right on stage

If the tour is late this year (fall) then I'd expect the release sometime in the summer, to give the songs a chance to sink in before they go out on the road again; not to mention a chance to properly rehearse the new material without it interfering with album promotion.

The final nail on the coffin with Songs of Innocence was the bike crash, thus zero promotion in the US. I think they would want to ensure that's avoided this time around, and let the promos happen prior to the tour and tickets going on sale.

So yea... If a new album is coming this year, I would actually think sooner rather than later. Perhaps June, with a single in May.

Further along it gets, less likely I think it is they release an album in 2016.

As much as i love the really random Instagram/Facebook pictures they've been putting on my wall, i think i'd rather have an album and tour.

Seriously, some of them are just strange.

If the tour is late this year (fall) then I'd expect the release sometime in the summer, to give the songs a chance to sink in before they go out on the road again; not to mention a chance to properly rehearse the new material without it interfering with album promotion.

The final nail on the coffin with Songs of Innocence was the bike crash, thus zero promotion in the US. I think they would want to ensure that's avoided this time around, and let the promos happen prior to the tour and tickets going on sale.

So yea... If a new album is coming this year, I would actually think sooner rather than later. Perhaps June, with a single in May.

I've been wanting to post this but do you think the Bike Accident had an effect on the I/E, show/setlist?

It seemed they were really excited about the 2 show idea and then the bike crash happened. I'm sure this took alot out of the band (especially Bono), SOI momentum, and rehearsal time. Thus restricting the band to just get the best show possible w/ new material. Its just weird that U2 had more rarities/deeper cuts on the 360 tour.

I just think the band wanted to get through the show/tour with Bono's accident. Even though rarities popped up they weren't staples on the tour/setlist ala 360 (UF, Zooropa, Ultraviolet, HMKMKMKM)

This is what I'm thinking. They'll probably want the songs to have room to breathe: promoting the album in all the ways SoI missed out on, minus the bad press of the forced Apple release, plus ensuring the audience at their next shows are familiar with (and hopefully enjoy) the new material.
I'm sure they're keen to avoid a repeat of 360, where the Nloth songs largely fell flat (I remember bono lamenting, "every night we go out and open with a song no-one knows", referring to breathe).

Plus on top of that, as Dan says, they'll need to practice them live; I'm sure they wouldn't want them to be rusty, especially if they're at the forefront of the setlist.

All of that points to the album actually coming out sooner than I'd dared hope (that is, if it does come out).

Of course, option B is that they want some kind of 'casual', or low key release. Maybe SoE will be a smaller album, or they won't care about having it make a big 'splash' like SoI, or it won't be at the forefront of the setlist, instead accompanying SoI material in a chronological style.
... All of that assumes u2 not wanting to be massive, and not wanting a massive album. So yeah, that's unlikely.

What I do fear is a third option: that they delay touring plans (as they already did for early this year), due to delaying SoE, or, worst case scenario (imo), simply push forward with the tour without completing the album, essentially guaranteeing it is never released.

However, if they are truly on track for an album/tour later this year, we could be getting the album in as little as 3-4 months from now. Holy shit!

Edge is probably doing overdubs, or writing more songs for SOE, or just because that's what he likes to do.

my most optimistic guess is that Edge is just overdubbing and just adding finishing touch, while others are finding new drummer and things to do.

my most optimistic guess is that Edge is just overdubbing and just adding finishing touch, while others are finding new drummer and things to do.

Is it me or your posts lately have been written by someone who recently learned English?

so either they're 98% done and the album will be out in 3-4 months with a tour to follow

OR....

They retired and didn't bother to tell anyone.:hmm:

Apple are rumored to have their world developers conference on or around June 13th. If u2 still are in bed with them for a SOE release this could be the time.

Apple are rumored to have their world developers conference on or around June 13th. If u2 still are in bed with them for a SOE release this could be the time.

I won't say no chance, cause U2 have made some baffling marketing decisions during this SOI/SOE cycle... but I'd say the new U2 album being released with an Apple keynote again is about as close to no chance as we can possibly get.

As much as i love the really random Instagram/Facebook pictures they've been putting on my wall, i think i'd rather have an album and tour.

Seriously, some of them are just strange.

You think you'd rather have an album and tour than pictures posted on social media?!

That's crazy! Maybe you should have posted this in the unpopular opinions thread :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom