Songs of Experience - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow is April Fools' day. So, please, watch out for articles/headline like U2 scraps Songs of Experience for Songs of Ascent, will be out in 2018 :wink:

Edge was at LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) today. He needs to get back to work!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Edge was at LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) today. He needs to get back to work!

He might be working. We just saw him the other day in a studio playing guitar. We also know that the rest of U2 will be in LA on Sunday for the awards show. Edge is probably more of a resident of LA now then he is of Dublin. They don't need to all be hunkered down in a Dublin studio anymore to be making progress on the album.

Then again, maybe he isn't doing shit, and he's the only one who is being realistic about this new album. I think if it were up to Edge, albums would never get released and he would just tinker indefinitely. I think if it were up to Bono, we'd have a new album of the same quality as the Achtung Baby outtakes every year.

What? A "single" ? What's that again?

I guess there is no single - then - album approach anymore.

The album drops when it drops and nobody knows about it hours before

I don't think we'll see a surprise album ever again. I'm sure we'll go back to having a promo/single dropping a few weeks before the album. And probably a fair bit more promo-trail before the album finally drops.

It was interesting to see how UK band James went about their latest album: 2 singles, 3 videos, 2 weeks of full on promotional work visiting radio and tv shows, and a huge social media presence. For a band that's been around 30 years - but hasn't really had any massive hits for 20 years - to debut at number 2 last week was incredible.

Billy Corgan wrote a song called "The Last Song," which was him saying that it was the last song he'd write for MCIS - everything else to come would be for something else. U2 need to do the same thing.

I don't think we'll see a surprise album ever again. I'm sure we'll go back to having a promo/single dropping a few weeks before the album. And probably a fair bit more promo-trail before the album finally drops.

It was interesting to see how UK band James went about their latest album: 2 singles, 3 videos, 2 weeks of full on promotional work visiting radio and tv shows, and a huge social media presence. For a band that's been around 30 years - but hasn't really had any massive hits for 20 years - to debut at number 2 last week was incredible.

I tend to agree here. The "surprise" album has become the norm now and really is kinda lame at this point. U2 is lame enough in people's eyes to keep beating a dead horse like that idea.

I LOVE James, and was really pleased to see the success they got last week.
I think if they took the James route, and put out some really cool teaser clips, videos (full or clips) maybe contests that get people on social media involved in the lead up, and then hit some major promotional targets in the US that they missed out on last time, - Fallon, SNL, Kimmel, surprise free show in LA or NYC or whatever. But work at it, like they did for HTDAAB.
There has been a lot more Facebook and Instagram presence in the last couple weeks, So ramp that up and really harness the power of Social Media and Youtube and possibly Apple if they are tying in a VR element.

They could have a real shot at some solid success. They could come up with a new way to release the album as well. Do it in pieces, or give it for free again, but for 24 hours, release with an App that would allow fans to mess with the songs themselves, who knows. That said, I do think it is quite possible that the band are working with Apple on a VR project (at least at some point) Not that they would ever team up for a release again, but could be an element.

I think a straight traditional release of a lead single and then album is probably not gonna happen. They will still want to make some sort of splash.

Hopefully the music speaks for itself on the next album. Everyone says the release method was the reason that it wasn't well received. I call bullshit.

I've been hearing rumors that Womanfish will finally get it's official release on SOE. :hyper:

Might as well pencil it in as Song of the Year at next year's Grammy's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wonder if the level of Social Media existed back in the JT and AB recording sessions, if we'd see the band all over the world like they are 99% of the time....

or if their posts would be 99% studio time. Guess impression was they were in studio for longer periods back in the day.....but only cause we didn't have access to their lives like we do now.

But no disputing they are not in the studio as much during recording, mainly because of Bono's charity/political work.

I just wonder if the level of Social Media existed back in the JT and AB recording sessions, if we'd see the band all over the world like they are 99% of the time....

or if their posts would be 99% studio time. Guess impression was they were in studio for longer periods back in the day.....but only cause we didn't have access to their lives like we do now.

But no disputing they are not in the studio as much during recording, mainly because of Bono's charity/political work.

don't disagree with you, but also don't discount technology playing a part now too. they don't have to spend as much time in one place,

We'd be freaking out after the 'Dream it all up again' speech at Point Depot thinking they're going to break up. Imagine Interference's first reaction to The Fly. This might be worthy of a new thread methinks.

I know technology allow them to record separately and complete the record but that kinda kills the liveliness of the performances.

not saying it's bad, though; first 3 or 4 metallica albums were recorded that way(meaning each member of the band recorded their own parts separately).

Last edited:

Looking back at the period from 85 to 87 it's pretty interesting that The Joshua Tree got made during a time when they were touring for UF, a Live Aid appearance, and the Amnesty Tour appearances. They were very prolific.

Looking back at the period from 85 to 87 it's pretty interesting that The Joshua Tree got made during a time when they were touring for UF, a Live Aid appearance, and the Amnesty Tour appearances. They were very prolific.

Not to mention the quality of the b-sides from that era.

How come we dont get many facebook photos/updates from Larry?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm seeing them next month, and I agree that their "old school" method of promoting themselves and their new record has really paid off. (Not a chance in hell of U2 doing that, though.)

Has anyone mentioned the idea of them using virtual reality as a new format? Maybe the EBW VR experience was just a test run for SOE.

I'm seeing them next month, and I agree that their "old school" method of promoting themselves and their new record has really paid off. (Not a chance in hell of U2 doing that, though.)
Why do you think U2 wouldn't do that? I mean promoting an album is not really a novel idea. They've done it in the past. And the release method of SOI didn't work too well. So why not go back to a proper promotion. This of course would not rule out a collaboration with Apple of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom