Songs of Experience - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were smart (and they are smart guys, but marketing really hasn't been it), they would get as far away from Apple as they can for the moment. No surprise release to iTunes, no packaging anything with Apple.

If they want to use some new technology, have it come after the album is released and partner with it then. But to link the release with Apple would just form more backlash.

I honestly have no idea how to guess what's going on with the album. They were in the studio for a few weeks in March. Edge seems to be constantly working on it, and as most have said....he's either overdubbing......or starting new ideas for songs.

If he's in the mixing/dubbing stage, then probably by May we should have some news. If nothing happens by then (or they come out and state they're just beginning), i don't see 2016 being the year.

I feel like it's likely that they might release it for free for certain amount of time (like for 2 months) and charge 10 or so bucks afterwards. I can't really think that they're gonna charge album considering what they've done fro SOI.

I think that it's going to be similar to SOI's release method in terms of releasing it digitally to avoid any leaks, and then a physical release afterwards. Whether it's another surprise release remains to be seen.

Last edited:
If they were smart (and they are smart guys, but marketing really hasn't been it), they would get as far away from Apple as they can for the moment. No surprise release to iTunes, no packaging anything with Apple.

If they want to use some new technology, have it come after the album is released and partner with it then. But to link the release with Apple would just form more backlash.

Absolutely. Apple are also a very smart corporation who tend to learn from their mistakes. I think the chances of seeing Bono bouncing around on stage pretending to be a punk rocker at another keynote are less than zero.

To be honest, I think with any U2 album at least 50% of the workload falls on Edge. Anything you hear in a U2 song that isn't Bono's vocals or the drums, it's a good chance Edge either played it or had some hand in writing or something else with it (and that includes Adam's bass lines). Although Edge does play drums on "I threw a brick through a window" (in addition to Larry's drums), because he had a vision in his head and Larry wasn't able to deliver it. Adam doesn't need to be sitting around the studio while Edge records overdubs, keyboard parts, backing vocals, whatever. Edge has always been almost an additional producer.

Agree. The tendency with Edge is that he can't stop with the recording, overdubs, mixing......

So having him alone doing the work doesn't mean they're nearly done, as it's been said over and over that Edge would remix every U2 song if he could.

I think at some point the band gets back together in the studio in next month or two, and tell Edge to stop...it's ready.....or back to the drawing board.

why is Bono suddenly doing promotion for his ONE campaign for refugees?

Bono's post about Ze Edge was funny

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a surprise release of some sort...

Trying to recall how quiet things were in summer 2014... I don't think we had any indication something was about to drop until the week of the Apple event

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a surprise release of some sort...

Trying to recall how quiet things were in summer 2014... I don't think we had any indication something was about to drop until the week of the Apple event

There was an article somewhere where edge says to not rule something like that out again for SOE. Can't seem to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
I've been wanting to post this but do you think the Bike Accident had an effect on the I/E, show/setlist?

It seemed they were really excited about the 2 show idea and then the bike crash happened. I'm sure this took alot out of the band (especially Bono), SOI momentum, and rehearsal time. Thus restricting the band to just get the best show possible w/ new material. Its just weird that U2 had more rarities/deeper cuts on the 360 tour.

I just think the band wanted to get through the show/tour with Bono's accident. Even though rarities popped up they weren't staples on the tour/setlist ala 360 (UF, Zooropa, Ultraviolet, HMKMKMKM)

Seems like they rehearsed quite a bit or considered some in a run-up to the Vancouver shows, so I'm not sure if they were necessarily just trying to get through a show at that point.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f314/spoilers-rehearsals-part-2-a-218467-68.html

There was an article somewhere where edge says to not rule something like that out again for SOE. Can't seem to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Yep, that's right. And from what we know, U2 still has a deal with Apple and they were talking about a new way to get music out. So I'm thinking something VR related. They tested that last year. So what they will do with SOE and Apple might just be some sort of VR release. Maybe Apple will launch some new VR format / device this year and U2's SOE might be the first album availble. No need to just repeat what they did with SOI.

Ok, so the band is VERY active on instagram/facebook right now. Maybe they want to increase the activity to prepare for a release. But that would only make sense if the album was to be released very soon. Not likely. So it's probably just a coincidence or Guy Oseary telling them to be more active ;) I don't think they'll keep up that rythm all through spring and summer.

As for their recording vs recreational activities, I'm starting to think the album is done or nearly done. If they really are aiming for a release this year (which I think they are) then they would either be working really hard right now, or be done. They're very obviously not working, except for Edge. And he might just be playing around with ideas or working on live versions of the new songs. Could be anything. But I'm starting to believe that at the very least recording is done.

I am also of the opinion that they are done or near done.

The hype machine is starting with Instagram pictures of turtles, airplane rides, Edge standing on furniture etc followed by IHeart Radio Awards appearance, followed by more concrete release details in the next 6-8 weeks.:hyper:

BTW, if Guy Oseary is telling them to be more active, i don't think these random pictures are what he had in mind...Also, Larry never got the memo.:D

BTW, if Guy Oseary is telling them to be more active, i don't think these random pictures are what he had in mind...Also, Larry never got the memo.:D
Did Larry ever get any memo? He is untamable ;) Weather you're just a fan or Guy Oseary, with U2 you gotta take what you get ;)

wait what happened to that "just release it without second guessing themselves" idea? are they really trying to do #U2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom