Songs of Experience - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From another poster Martinski in the tours section:

"https://instagram.com/p/7yPTzKAF6P/

Seems to me they are working on the album at the hotel, guess that is why they havent been out of the hotel much. I expected Bono to join tonights Skavlan ( talk show) wich is taped in Stockholm that had Bob Geldof and Kofi Annan among the guests."

Last edited:
I'm starting to get slightly excited... ugh, that's bad.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The songs will be just like a clip show on TV where they take the band's interviews and put music behind it.

With the photos shoot, Bono talking about the album at shows, now Edge's 'studio apartment' photo... This is happening. Trying to resist, but I can't.

I am still happy with SOI. I give it a spin from time to time and it still feels new, so I'm not desperate for another one yet. It will be a grand bonus if the next one drops soon though, they seem in good form.
But still, Bono saying next year tells me that it's not gonna drop before that. I mean, when has that ever happened, an album dropping BEFORE Bono's lie.
Will be a nice twist though...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I am still happy with SOI. I give it a spin from time to time and it still feels new, so I'm not desperate for another one yet.

Oh .. I am .. desperate for SOE!

SOI has some really good songs, there's no doubt about that ... but everything we hear about SOE leads me to think: We'll get some really unexpected fresh sounding U2 ... if they can deliver that .. in their Mid-50s .. that would reconfirm why I started to like U2 in the 90s .. but that is just my humble opinion.

I am still happy with SOI. I give it a spin from time to time and it still feels new, so I'm not desperate for another one yet. It will be a grand bonus if the next one drops soon though, they seem in good form.
But still, Bono saying next year tells me that it's not gonna drop before that. I mean, when has that ever happened, an album dropping BEFORE Bono's lie.
Will be a nice twist though...

When has it happened? You missed the Songs of Innocence release, then?

If they would debut one of the songs tomorrow or on monday i would go bonkers. Like they did with some unfinished songs on 360.

If they would debut one of the songs tomorrow or on monday i would go bonkers. Like they did with some unfinished songs on 360.

I would also go bonkers, but mostly because they did it on night 3 or 4 in Stockholm instead of night 1 or 2, when I was there. :D

When has it happened? You missed the Songs of Innocence release, then?

Was right here, and suffered much in the lead up, like the rest of you. That was a surprise release though and in case you missed it :), the method of release caused a bit of a backlash, just a smidge.
I will admit that amid all the conflicting reports leading up to that release, I actually don't remember if Bono or anyone said it would be released later than it actually was. Weren't they just saying stuff like 'it's almost done, we need to do this or that different from the last record', etc?
And also, wasn't SOI supposed to be released much earlier, according to soundbytes from the band pre 2014? My point is, next year is possibly the first definite date we have heard about SOE (I might be wrong), and to have it drop before that would be unprecedented in U2 releases post 2000.

Last edited:
The more that I have read about the history of Zooropa leads me to believe that SOE will be what they had envisioned for Zooropa to be come full circle this time out

Was right here, and suffered much in the lead up, like the rest of you. That was a surprise release though and in case you missed it :), the method of release caused a bit of a backlash, just a smidge.
I will admit that amid all the conflicting reports leading up to that release, I actually don't remember if Bono or anyone said it would be released later than it actually was. Weren't they just saying stuff like 'it's almost done, we need to do this or that different from the last record', etc?
And also, wasn't SOI supposed to be released much earlier, according to soundbytes from the band pre 2014? My point is, next year is possibly the first definite date we have heard about SOE (I might be wrong), and to have it drop before that would be unprecedented in U2 releases post 2000.

I think Billboard reported in late summer 2014 that the album got pushed to 2015. Thankfully that wasn't true.

The more that I have read about the history of Zooropa leads me to believe that SOE will be what they had envisioned for Zooropa to be come full circle this time out

I think so, too, if they can actually get it done within the next year or so!

I think Billboard reported in late summer 2014 that the album got pushed to 2015. Thankfully that wasn't true.

Yeah, that sparked a tsunami of unrest here, but that was a quite dodgy news report in the first half of the year with unnamed sources (i believe the term used was spokesperson) that was not confirmed or denied by any of the band.
This is Bono saying in September that they will release it in 2016. I would love to be proven wrong, will be ecstatic, but with bono saying next year it would be a little unrealistic, not to mention masochistic, to anticipate an album within what remains of this year.

EDIT: was it late summer? I seem to remember it being as early as May, or April even. Can't be bothered to check... that article was crap.

can you elaborate? what have you read regarding Zooropa, and what they were aiming for?

As far as I know they were just aiming for an EP to keep things fresh for the 1993 tour. I think Paul really pushed for an album to put U2 in a position of power as U2's record contract was up for renewal, and a large parent company had just acquired Island Records. I honestly think that had that not been the case we probably would've just gotten an EP, 5-6 songs.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

Pretty dead in here - thought I'd try and stimulate something with the tidbit from the soundcheck thread - apparently an 'unknown' acoustic song was rehearsed in Berlin today.

I saw that too - my instinct tells me it's probably something like 'Stay', or 'Stuck', and that for whatever reason, those hearing it couldn't quite make it out.

I suspect that given Songs of Experience seems more fully thought out (and much further along) than Songs of Ascent/Untitled-mid-360-tour-album ever was. With that in mind, i'd have assumed that if we hear anything first as a live rendition (before a single/album release), it would be a big, full band, epic song announced as the first single - rather than the acoustic, bare bone demos we got out of tunes like North Star and EBW.

For the 360 tour, it seemed like the band played all that new material as early demos, perhaps to test out audience reception, or maybe even just as a treat for the tour delay (when Bono hurt his back)... None of that material was really ready.

I suspect if they debuted something now, it would be more finished and 'proper' than it was for the last tour. So that makes me skeptical that our first glimpse of SoE material would be an acoustic song... unless the song is written that way (emulating how they ended up with EBW?) :hmm:

I saw that too - my instinct tells me it's probably something like 'Stay', or 'Stuck', and that for whatever reason, those hearing it couldn't quite make it out.

I suspect that given Songs of Experience seems more fully thought out (and much further along) than Songs of Ascent/Untitled-mid-360-tour-album ever was. With that in mind, i'd have assumed that if we hear anything first as a live rendition (before a single/album release), it would be a big, full band, epic song announced as the first single - rather than the acoustic, bare bone demos we got out of tunes like North Star and EBW.

For the 360 tour, it seemed like the band played all that new material as early demos, perhaps to test out audience reception, or maybe even just as a treat for the tour delay (when Bono hurt his back)... None of that material was really ready.

I suspect if they debuted something now, it would be more finished and 'proper' than it was for the last tour. So that makes me skeptical that our first glimpse of SoE material would be an acoustic song... unless the song is written that way (emulating how they ended up with EBW?) :hmm:

Agree on all points. Perhaps if it was a new song it was an unplugged walk through with the staging as a dress rehearsal, because they know if they go full on people will hear.

Pretty dead in here - thought I'd try and stimulate something with the tidbit from the soundcheck thread - apparently an 'unknown' acoustic song was rehearsed in Berlin today.

interesting!! thanks. Maybe I should check out the soundcheck thread. I don't really venture outside this subforum often..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom