Songs of Experience MegaThread - Meltdown or Getdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, forget everything. Lillywhite is working on SOE. See this: u2songs | Steve Lillywhite Mixing New U2 Single |

Good find dude :up:

To me it's looking more and more like a toss-up between SoE, or a standalone single.

I think the biggest revelation will be how 'The Best Thing' (i assume that's the single) is marketed.

"Introducing 'The Best Thing', the first single from our new album Songs of Experience!", vs "Introducing 'The Best Thing', to celebrate our 40th anniversary... and only that".

think the mixing is why Get on Your Boots failed to make a dent?

No.

I think there are 2 main reasons why the general public likes a song.

1. If it's catchy and you can sing along to it (very superficial but that's reality)
2. If it's a quality song with quality musicianship

I don't think a majority of people pay any attention to how it's mixed.

Audiophiles will pay attention to every drop of a song and pick it apart but people just casually listening to a song don't care about mixing.

[QUOTE="Introducing 'The Best Thing', to celebrate our 40th anniversary... and only that".[/QUOTE]

Ughhh....:huh::huh::huh::huh:

Now that scenario appears VERY likely to happen, after thinking about it !

At least it would be up front! If we don't get the album, i wonder what variation of 'getting lost in the music' they'll use.

Basically if there's no mention of SoE with 'The Best Thing' (as there was no mention of an album with 'Invisible'), i think that'll tell us all we need to know.

I don't think a majority of people pay any attention to how it's mixed.

Audiophiles will pay attention to every drop of a song and pick it apart but people just casually listening to a song don't care about mixing.

I think you're semi right, your Joe or Jane Bloggs hearing a song they like in a bar will sing along rather than go "hey! The production on this song is soooo good!"

But single mixes aren't just done for nothing, I'm not talking about the Pop singles where U2 felt they were actually finishing the songs! I mean with any artist there will be small things in a song written to be a hit/separate single mix that people won't notice.

It could be small but important changes such as turning up the percussion/backing vocals/certain instruments/whatever or adding little extra bits to give the song more of a groove that you're not consciously aware of despite it making you want to get up and dance or just making the song sound a bit more in your face?

Sorry I'm not articulating this very well but I'll just add I wouldn't be surprised if the album's done and they're just letting a (like it or not) tried and tested producer have a stab at mixing the lead single.

14350934_1120172811409509_566371968_n.jpg

If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that I look my best 6 hours into a flight

I sincerely hope Larry is ok. How can he go from looking 35 just 3 short years ago to looking older than Adam now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom