Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe in my theory that major cities that get two nights will have one night be innocence and the second night experience

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe the new apple format will be exclusive to U2 next year and available to other artists the following year. The deal with Apple would give U2 exclusive rights in connection with SOE. Only reasonable explanation for how it could come out sooner than 18 month timeframe previously mentioned.

Maybe the new apple format will be exclusive to U2 next year and available to other artists the following year. The deal with Apple would give U2 exclusive rights in connection with SOE. Only reasonable explanation for how it could come out sooner than 18 month timeframe previously mentioned.

Or the 18 months thing is lowering expectations?

Bono also mentioned the tour would have the two albums "talking to each other" is he saying the second album will be out before the tour starts?

There would really be no point. I think it will be between legs, either between Europe and the US, or before starting off the inevitable 2nd round of both. But that of course doesn't mean that they wouldn't/couldn't be playing SOE songs from the beginning, and a bit of road testing might even be preferable to them now, part of the plan.

There would really be no point. I think it will be between legs, either between Europe and the US, or before starting off the inevitable 2nd round of both. But that of course doesn't mean that they wouldn't/couldn't be playing SOE songs from the beginning, and a bit of road testing might even be preferable to them now, part of the plan.

Yeah I'm willing to bet the tour would look something like this:

Legs 1 and 2: Europe and North America, either order, arenas
Leg 3: Rest of the world, arenas if possible but most likely stadiums
Release SOE either before or after leg 3
Legs 4 and 5: triumphant return to Europe and North America, either order, stadiums

Yeah I'm willing to bet the tour would look something like this:

Legs 1 and 2: Europe and North America, either order, arenas
Leg 3: Rest of the world, arenas if possible but most likely stadiums
Release SOE either before or after leg 3
Legs 4 and 5: triumphant return to Europe and North America, either order, stadiums

That's how I see it too. But I don't think they'll play arenas in Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa or Japan, it'll most likely be stadiums.

Am I the only one who avoid listen to it some days beacuse Im am so afraid to get bored witht the songs? I realy love those songs, I have never felt so with an U2 album before, maybe beacuse they havent release an album that have been so good since I started to listen to them(2002)...

Am I the only one who avoid listen to it some days beacuse Im am so afraid to get bored witht the songs? I realy love those songs, I have never felt so with an U2 album before, maybe beacuse they havent release an album that have been so good since I started to listen to them(2002)...

Hey tell us more about "Songs of Experience" - because actually I did not listen to SOE at all ... I think I wouldn't get bored with SOE Songs that quickly!

(look at the thread title)

So, presumably, U2 are working on SOE over the next 6 months..

I wonder who the producer is...? :hmm:

U2 Take On the World: Inside Rolling Stone's New Issue | Rolling Stone

Mentions Songs of Experience being less about intimacy or something like that and more CELEBRATORY. Cool.

Also mentions plans to one day release Songs O Ascent as a part of a trilogy or something. Can't wait to read the whole thing. :up:

This really scares me. I have no clue why they called these albums SOI and SOE, if this is really true...
If it were to follow Blake's template, SOE would be much darker. Definitely not "celebratory".

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of celebratory U2. It means no songs like SLABT, or The Troubles, or RBW...

If they mean something in the vein of TCB, then I would be happy. But just odd to me in general that they would call a celebratory album SOE. To me that fits the title SOA much better.

This really scares me. I have no clue why they called these albums SOI and SOE, if this is really true...
If it were to follow Blake's template, SOE would be much darker. Definitely not "celebratory".

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of celebratory U2. It means no songs like SLABT, or The Troubles, or RBW...

If they mean something in the vein of TCB, then I would be happy. But just odd to me in general that they would call a celebratory album SOE. To me that fits the title SOA much better.

U2 is not trying to copy Blake 100%

Broken Bells touring does end tonight... so it's conceivable that he'd be back, if they want to work together again, of course.

I'd be happy to see him back, but if DM is done with then, and they wanted to stick with the producers they've worked with so far, I wouldnt be surprised if Declan Gaffney was the guy.. I get the sense that he spent many late nights throughout the first half of 2014 hammering SOI into a shape they liked.

I'd be fine with Gaffney getting a promotion. The three tracks he was "lead" producer on (Volcano, California, Raised By Wolves) all sound fantastic, whatever you think of the songwriting.

And he certainly contributed a lot in terms of other instrumentation as well.

I'd be happy to see him back, but if DM is done with then, and they wanted to stick with the producers they've worked with so far, I wouldnt be surprised if Declan Gaffney was the guy.. I get the sense that he spent many late nights throughout the first half of 2014 hammering SOI into a shape they liked.

As much as I would like to see DM remain in the fold I also think he's done working with them for good. I thought the comment from The Black Ketes drummer may have spoke volumes with what the DM camp might be feeling.

I'd be fine with Gaffney getting a promotion. The three tracks he was "lead" producer on (Volcano, California, Raised By Wolves) all sound fantastic, whatever you think of the songwriting.

And he certainly contributed a lot in terms of other instrumentation as well.

I've been calling for Gaffney since I first heard the fish out of water remix of boots. Even if he doesn't produce the whole album, I want a disc of fish out of water remixes of all the songs as a bonus.

Is there a link to that quote?

I know the Black Keys drummer recently made the comment, which a few other musicians have made, that the release "devalued" U2's music. The problem with Patrick Carney's statement was in the same statement he also commented on how streaming doesn't pay bands well at all and that streaming executive CEO's make more money than bands do. So yeah, his argument was a bit dumb. U2's music wasn't devalued at all. They actually put a great value on it and made more money then they would streaming it.

I know the Black Keys drummer recently made the comment, which a few other musicians have made, that the release "devalued" U2's music. The problem with Patrick Carney's statement was in the same statement he also commented on how streaming doesn't pay bands well at all and that streaming executive CEO's make more money than bands do. So yeah, his argument was a bit dumb. U2's music wasn't devalued at all. They actually put a great value on it and made more money then they would streaming it.

I think Bono's comment that the charts don't reflect what people are listening to is more accurate than Carney's POV. I really hope this new Apple format comes out soon and is actually worth buying for many people. Not just artwork, but 24bit sound.

Unfortunately Danger Mouse doesn't do much interviews so it's hard to see what he thinks based on one drummer's opinion.

Yea..I wouldn't care so much if this was to be the only album title that references Blake, but the fact that they plan on releasing SOE makes me wish they paid more attention lyrically sometimes.

Starting, for instance, on The Miracle, instead of saying "I was chasing"... it would be "I'm chasing" or "I am chasing" - however, this song, like others, are told from the perspective of someone older, more experienced, raining down wisdom on the events of his past. So the idea of "chasing down the days of fear" would not occur to the younger person while it is happening, only much later after he's had time to reflect.

So, even in songs like Raised By Wolves, the verses have an immediacy to them, and seem to be taking place in the present even though it's past, and seems to be working...but then the chorus "we were raised by wolves" returns to the older person's POV again, and the whole song then becomes the man of experience thinking about a traumatic past. Whereas it would make more sense to just stick with the POV of the younger Bono.

Same thing happens with Cedarwood: You can't return to where you never left: That's not something the young Bono would've said.

Even Every Breaking Wave's poetic lines sound like they're coming from the mind of someone with a mature worldview shaped by years of experience.

So I'm nit-picking maybe but the album seems to be more about experience on the whole.

Same thing happens with Cedarwood: You can't return to where you never left: That's not something the young Bono would've said.

Uh...:uhoh:...that line was first used on the B-side song "Deep in the Heart" in 1987. If you ever watch the Rattle and Hum outtakes he sings the same line in a workup acoustic version of "She's Gonna Blow Your House Down"...so a young Bono 'would' and 'did' say that...:yes:

Uh...:uhoh:...that line was first used on the B-side song "Deep in the Heart" in 1987. If you ever watch the Rattle and Hum outtakes he sings the same line in a workup acoustic version of "She's Gonna Blow Your House Down"...so a young Bono 'would' and 'did' say that...:yes:

I mean the Bono from the time he actually lived on Cedarwood Road. Before he was famous. 1987 Bono was already far removed from the young Paul Hewson.

And you kind of proved my point. The older Bono is saying this line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom