Songs Of Experience 9 (albums aborted and counting...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just seen Pearl Jam @ Fenway and Springsteen in NJ this month, I am kind of sad that I'll never see U2 put on a concert like those two where you have no feckin' idea what they'll play next. Shame...

And a 4 hour concert is long....

Oh, and man Springsteen fans bitch more about setlists than U2 fans.... (except for last night).

ok, well so I cracked up and changed my flight back home from Dublin to monday 26th. Hoping U2 will make the extra night memorable ;) Anyone else here going to Dublin for #U240? :wave:

Having just seen Pearl Jam @ Fenway and Springsteen in NJ this month, I am kind of sad that I'll never see U2 put on a concert like those two where you have no feckin' idea what they'll play next. Shame...

And a 4 hour concert is long....

Oh, and man Springsteen fans bitch more about setlists than U2 fans.... (except for last night).
Yea as much as I love the multimedia mindfucks that U2 put on, what I wouldn't give for just one tour where the setlist is unpredictable.

Yea as much as I love the multimedia mindfucks that U2 put on, what I wouldn't give for just one tour where the setlist is unpredictable.

Yeah, it's too bad, but they've never been that kind of band. I haven't seen PJ in 10 years, but that was one hell of a show. I had no idea what they were going to play, and it was exciting. U2's show are exciting in a similar emotional way, but the set list only moves around a song or two from night to night...:sigh:

Whenever they have tried to be even somewhat more "spontaneous" the results have more often than not been bad to very bad.
So perhaps we're not missing out on that much.

They're perfectionists and Bono doesn't exactly have a good memory, so you better drop any hopes of widely changing setlists. I mean a guy who needs a prompter for lyrics of songs he sings every night is not gonna do different setlists each night.

The real problem is Bono hates to rehearse. They'll bust their ass to create a great show, but I just don't see them wanting to put in the time to practice a shit ton of songs to play show to show.

Or they'll play a song that hasn't been played for x years, perceive it as not getting a great reception based on one performance / audience reaction, then abandon it again.

I'm kinda feeling like not many songs from SOI will be performed next leg unless they're in line with the "experience" theme.

I'm kinda feeling like not many songs from SOI will be performed next leg unless they're in line with the "experience" theme.

I hope they keep at least Iris and Raised by Wolves, great live I thought, and maybe even Miracle, which had a good bit of energy about it. Possibly Cedarwood too, but I'd imagine SOI may only get 2 or 3 slots max during the second half of this tour.

Yes, especially the latter 2.

Especially EBW for me. If they played it full band - different story. Said it before, and I'll say it again - EBW was the lowlight of almost every show I went to, which is unfortunate since I do like the song.

I hope they keep at least Iris and Raised by Wolves, great live I thought,

Just a guess, but I think these two will stay. Depending on the new songs I think we'll get a new opener, and depending on if they have a new song that would fit the Cedarwood idea that one may stay or go...

True, the Miracle might stay if they want to keep a first half of the show that's about "innocence". I'd love for Crystal Ballroom to get another chance, but I highly doubt it. But that's ok. The new album should receive maximum attention. I'm just curious whether they will keep anything of the innocence theme, and which of the "old" songs they'll replace. I loved the first few high energy songs on this tour. It was a real kickstart to the show. Hope they can recreate something similar.

I hope Electric Co. hasn't been put out to pasture by the time I get to see a show

Just a guess, but I think these two will stay. Depending on the new songs I think we'll get a new opener, and depending on if they have a new song that would fit the Cedarwood idea that one may stay or go...

I also liked Invisible as the second half opener, but probably has less chance of surviving. I get that EBW gets a bit of a kicking for not being full band, but all U2 shows and tours have a low key quiet song or two, always have done. I imagine that will be the same for the SOE portion of this tour. I actually liked EBW on the tour, but defo would like to see it full band too.

True, the Miracle might stay if they want to keep a first half of the show that's about "innocence". I'd love for Crystal Ballroom to get another chance, but I highly doubt it. But that's ok. The new album should receive maximum attention. I'm just curious whether they will keep anything of the innocence theme, and which of the "old" songs they'll replace. I loved the first few high energy songs on this tour. It was a real kickstart to the show. Hope they can recreate something similar.

Unless they flip it around completely and open up with 4 experience up tempo songs, like say, a new SOE song, The Fly, UTEOW, Vertigo, something like that? I think all shows/tours I've been to open with 3 or 4 up-tempo in your face songs, which you kind of want to get the show going, and I don't see that changing.

I know it's not all that likely but I hope they play tons of stuff from 90s materials to really tie into "experience theme" and as long as that happens, I don't care if certain songs I like don't survive.

I know it's not all that likely but I hope they play tons of stuff from 90s materials to really tie into "experience theme" and as long as that happens, I don't care if certain songs I like don't survive.

Absolutely agree. I want to hear a lot of AB, Zooropa, and why not Pop. If they ever play Pop it's gonna be on the next legs of this tour. Would also be nice to have a little NLOTH comeback. MOS was very nice as a more low key song.

I also liked Invisible as the second half opener, but probably has less chance of surviving.

Yeah, I actually think they could drop Miracle and open with Invisible. It will keep with the theme but change it up enough, and then use a new song to open the second set.

Yeah, I actually think they could drop Miracle and open with Invisible. It will keep with the theme but change it up enough, and then use a new song to open the second set.

On paper I also thought Invisible as opener would be awesome. But after seeing it live multiple times, I regretfully think it doesn't have the energy to be a good opener

On paper I also thought Invisible as opener would be awesome. But after seeing it live multiple times, I regretfully think it doesn't have the energy to be a good opener

I don't think we will see much of invisible on the next tour. It was underwhelming live.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think a lot of that had to do with the being in the screen/Kraftwerk visual to it. :shrug:

I personally have always thought The Miracle was a dud, both live and on record. It never really gets going. The way it just kinda runs out of gas and stops before the choruses really creates an underwhelming effect. I have not liked that song since I first heard it... I'd even prefer Boots over Miracle. I hope they drop it entirely.

I personally have always thought The Miracle was a dud, both live and on record. It never really gets going. The way it just kinda runs out of gas and stops before the choruses really creates an underwhelming effect. I have not liked that song since I first heard it... I'd even prefer Boots over Miracle. I hope they drop it entirely.

I used to like it a lot more than I do now. I think the second verse is alright, and I like the "I get so many things I don't deserve" but aside from that it really doesn't do anything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom