Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Ok, so i know all of you have been waiting on the edge of your seat to hear more from me.

So I just wanted to give a little update on this special release day...

After a full week of pretty intense listening, a couple things have come up.
One, it doesn't seem to be growing old, and also, my initial feelings seem to be holding up, not increasing or decreasing much.

The biggest change was, that after a week of almost always skipping over The Best Thing/Get Out and Am Soul, it kind of hit me out the blue today. I let them play and oddly, the Best Thing/Get Out combo became sort of new highlight for me.
These are damn good songs. Not up in my top tier, but really good. And if this album would have just all dropped like SOI, I think that these two would be getting a FAR different reception than they are now.

American Soul is still not one that I dont want to go back to. I listen once in a while, but its just not my thing, even though, i can recognize a lot of good about it.

Lights of Home has actually become one that I just love to listen through. One that I kind of get lost in. It feels natural and flows well. still gets knocked down slightly with the choral section on the end. So instead of a 9, more like an 8.5.

The big 6 for me

Love is All
Summer of Love
Red Flag
Little Things
Landlady - (made me cry on the way to work this morning)
13 (made me cry on the way home from work yesterday)

Just stay tremendous for me. Loving them.

Blackout is the blackout. A really good song that is an inch or two from being great.

The Showman. Oh the Showman. Why are you on this album Showman??!! What a nice bonus song you would have made. changing it to fall in between Summer of love and Red Flag helps a lot. Showman into Little Things was bizarre.

Also, Put Blackout between Red Flag and Landlady. So much better.

All in all, still such a strong album for me. I revise my initial "possible best since AB" to Best since POP. And SOI is second best since POP. So they have a great pair of albums here.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:37 AM
This album is surprisingly gorgeous

Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #83
The Fly

My initial thoughts:

This is so much more textured and elegant than I ever thought it would be – atmospheric in one word I suppose. I wasn't really expecting this but I suppose that’s the culmination of successive albums in the last 20 years that have sounded quite bare and all over the place production wise.

On first listens a few highlights

Summer of Love is beautiful. On first listen this was the song that stood out most. That twiddly little guitar melody by The Edge is perfect. It’s a lovely little song that is a lovely tribute to that small part of beauty of Aleppo in amongst the death and destruction of that part of the world.

Landlady has a chorus that Paul McCartney would kill for. It soars in a manner not too dissimilar to Macca's Wanderlust and other great beautiful tunes by him. I just love how Bono lifts this song all by himself - lovely, heartfelt melody.

Red Flag Day is stupendous and it seems like the first song in ages where all 4 members are firing on all cylinders. I didn't think they had it in them to create an energising and great pop/rock song again but this proved me wrong.

It must be a very good album to make me think deeply about his thoughts on this. The first song surprised me quite a bit. We’ve become attuned to expecting a gut busting howl by Bono and the rest of the band when we hit play on a new U2 album but this was the complete opposite. His voice sounds aged and fragile but it isn’t weak. It’s the first time where he has sounded wise in his increasing years and the lyrical content shows this. There’s definitely a sense of mortality/death throughout as corianderstem put so well in her review and death of innocence that crops up in Little Things and 13. I think seeing his children grow up, has really had an impact. I get the idea that he transferred his innocence to them and now they’ve lost or are losing that, he’s truly seen the last of that preciousness that was up until recently an ever-present facet of his life. 13 is a phenomenal closer. The album kind of finishes where it started – in the dark and alone. There’s a point about 1.50 around the bit where he sings ‘and all you’ve got is grieving’ and then wanders off ‘la da da da’ with the gentle piano that I found heart aching. It’s got flashes of that Irish/Scottish lament about it – deep melancholy, lonely and spiritual at the same time. This might just be the album’s crowning moment for me. I really think this is the best Bono has sounded in voice and lyrics in a long long time.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #84
Refugee

Local Time: 12:37 AM
So when is the next album coming out?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Damn it, American Soul is growing on me. It sounds really good loud.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #86
The Fly

thoughts on the Special Apple film in the itunes store? I love some of the musical snippets, especially the one @ 7:13 where is that from?
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

I really wish my local record store would open on time!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
So when is the next album coming out?
- I hope this album actually will lead U2 in some ways into a new era of writing music - I dont think its time for retirement yet after hearing this album.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchBay View Post
My initial thoughts:

This is so much more textured and elegant than I ever thought it would be – atmospheric in one word I suppose. I wasn't really expecting this but I suppose that’s the culmination of successive albums in the last 20 years that have sounded quite bare and all over the place production wise.

On first listens a few highlights

Summer of Love is beautiful. On first listen this was the song that stood out most. That twiddly little guitar melody by The Edge is perfect. It’s a lovely little song that is a lovely tribute to that small part of beauty of Aleppo in amongst the death and destruction of that part of the world.

Landlady has a chorus that Paul McCartney would kill for. It soars in a manner not too dissimilar to Macca's Wanderlust and other great beautiful tunes by him. I just love how Bono lifts this song all by himself - lovely, heartfelt melody.

Red Flag Day is stupendous and it seems like the first song in ages where all 4 members are firing on all cylinders. I didn't think they had it in them to create an energising and great pop/rock song again but this proved me wrong.

It must be a very good album to make me think deeply about his thoughts on this. The first song surprised me quite a bit. We’ve become attuned to expecting a gut busting howl by Bono and the rest of the band when we hit play on a new U2 album but this was the complete opposite. His voice sounds aged and fragile but it isn’t weak. It’s the first time where he has sounded wise in his increasing years and the lyrical content shows this. There’s definitely a sense of mortality/death throughout as corianderstem put so well in her review and death of innocence that crops up in Little Things and 13. I think seeing his children grow up, has really had an impact. I get the idea that he transferred his innocence to them and now they’ve lost or are losing that, he’s truly seen the last of that preciousness that was up until recently an ever-present facet of his life. 13 is a phenomenal closer. The album kind of finishes where it started – in the dark and alone. There’s a point about 1.50 around the bit where he sings ‘and all you’ve got is grieving’ and then wanders off ‘la da da da’ with the gentle piano that I found heart aching. It’s got flashes of that Irish/Scottish lament about it – deep melancholy, lonely and spiritual at the same time. This might just be the album’s crowning moment for me. I really think this is the best Bono has sounded in voice and lyrics in a long long time.
Well said
Old 12-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

sorry guys, i still don't have the proper album with liner notes.

Can someone please take a look and see who the male background vocalist is on 13??
Comes in at the 3:40 mark.

thanks
Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #91
War Child

Local Time: 09:37 AM
So I am rather a 90s U2 fan. Don‘t like much of post 2000 U2. But I really like Songs of Innocence.

So today I had my first two listens of Songs of Experience. I knew there would be some interesting songs to discover according to your reviews here.

OK what can I say as my first impression? I sobbed during a bunch of songs. Not necessarily out of sadness but I did not expect SOE to be that good. Light, airy and fluffy but so deep going at the same time.

For the moment I am in love with SOE
Old 12-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #92
War Child

Hi guys, does Target have SOE in stores yet? Because I'm planning to get it today, but I'm not sure if the store closest to me has it yet.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Call your local store and ask, they're much more likely to know than we are on the internet. There's no reason they shouldn't have it as a major release.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #94
War Child

Yeah because when the cd for the Joshua tree 30th anniversary was released, it was in stock two weeks later after the release. I want to se if I can get it today, and I cant call the store
Old 12-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Not sure if this has been discussed but has anyone watched the video on Apple Music called liner notes?

Fascinating video,voice over by Bono telling us what the songs mean
Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Listened to the album properly this morning, around 4am as I had woken and wasn't going back to sleep. So in a dark room, no senses to really distract. Just the music, and the thoughts and colors that would arise in my mind due to the music.

It's a great album. Even those songs we got before the release, while on their own they are OK (thought I like Best Thing), they really fit with the album.

And I get why they put them where they did, cause after American Soul, the album gets really heavy. Yes, Red Flag Day has a joyful bounce but the subject matter doesn't match.

The backside of this album is as depressing as their great albums. It's not as draining as Pop, but you still feel a sense of sadness, a sense of unknown. And like some great movies, you are left to ponder what's next after the final note is played.

I am looking forward to hearing these songs live
Old 12-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
Say what you will about a few questionable lyrics and the re-use of the guitar riff but American Soul really rocks. The transition from Kendrick at the beginning to the hands in the air towards the end has me rocking the whole time. My wife’s first listen and she didn’t get to Summer of Love cause she had to go back and listen lol.
I like the bass in American Soul.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekyU2Fan View Post
Hi guys, does Target have SOE in stores yet? Because I'm planning to get it today, but I'm not sure if the store closest to me has it yet.
Yes, but only deluxe from what i saw there.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #99
New Yorker

U2 are earnest, defiant, and as epic as ever on Songs of Experience: EW review | EW.com
http://ew.com/music/2017/12/01/u2-so...nce-ew-review/
Old 12-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #100
New Yorker

U2 confronts the dinosaur within on new album 'Songs of Experience' | Chicago Tribune
Note: 2.5/4
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...201-story.html