Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even a dedicated show to u2 gives people the option to just not watch it, I honestly think they should have done something different over here this time round but they just don't seem to bothered about the uk as such, all seemed geared to getting the number one in the US

I think in your face promoting eg Apple release was never going to happen seeing how much of a backlash they had last time round

Should have done graham norton and maybe some more talk show appearances. Maybe had more adverts in newspapers and tv. Other then that I can't see what else they can do. Think they have just reached that point.

I think now is the time to release a new single, to get the album to chart #1. Hope its not American soul.

Even a dedicated show to u2 gives people the option to just not watch it, I honestly think they should have done something different over here this time round but they just don't seem to bothered about the uk as such, all seemed geared to getting the number one in the US

Right. If they gave a shit, they'd have gone on graham norton, etc. and put the Euro dates on sale as well to give the album some more sales. How is Ed Sheerans album still at #2? I don't understand the hype around that dude at all!

Right. If they gave a shit, they'd have gone on graham norton, etc. and put the Euro dates on sale as well to give the album some more sales. How is Ed Sheerans album still at #2? I don't understand the hype around that dude at all!

It's all opinions really isn't it. Can't deny ed sheeran is shit hot at the minute, he is good at what he does, not my cup of tea though.

Not a clue, and Sam smith ffs

Well I think this album is very good, and I will recommend it to anyone. It's funny, I used to have a lot of friends who would always buy a new U2 album, but now
Probably will not. Just because we've all gotten older and don't listen to music as much, and plus who needs another U2 album, right?? My Mom used to always buy new U2, but now she pretty much listens to the 60's/70's channels on XM.

It's kinda sad, but I think this is the album where U2 will truly realize that they've become irrelevant. I hope that does not deter them from making more in the future.

I love it, I'm happy that U2 are still making great albums and touring.

Which begs the question, should u2 have done xfactor?

No no no no never should they go so low. Take getting old on the chin, don't sell your soul to the X factor devil

I'd rather have them not chart on the top 100 then go on the X factor

Last edited:
Same here, love the new record but I don't think the band will see it the same way, they seem to crave being relevant.

To be fair I think the band hitting number one in the US will probably be enough for them, imo that's honestly all they seem to have been bothered about

I'm just pointing out what is out there right now. Metacritic is widely used as an aggregate to compare general critical reception. I was pointing out the more negative reviews to "highlight" some of the bad reviews, yes. Most of the reviews are more middling, in the 60/100 range. I kind of thought this album would be getting a better critical response so far, but U2 have fallen far from the critical darling days they enjoyed I guess.

Metacritic is flawed. It applies a grade to reviews that don't give one, and everyone has read reviews with grades where the grade doesn't match the review. Metacritic and rotten tomatoes are good for being a place to read individual reviews but not much else.

Still doing some diggin on why it's called 13. I thought it might be a reference to Bono's age when his mom died, but it looks like he was barely 14 when that happened. It could be spun that 13 is the age when a child is starting to be seen as an older child, but, eh.

Well I think this album is very good, and I will recommend it to anyone. It's funny, I used to have a lot of friends who would always buy a new U2 album, but now
Probably will not. Just because we've all gotten older and don't listen to music as much, and plus who needs another U2 album, right?? My Mom used to always buy new U2, but now she pretty much listens to the 60's/70's channels on XM.

It's kinda sad, but I think this is the album where U2 will truly realize that they've become irrelevant. I hope that does not deter them from making more in the future.

I love it, I'm happy that U2 are still making great albums and touring.

To be fair, the number of "relevant" musical acts, especially in the rock/alternative genre, is becoming exceedingly low.

Still doing some diggin on why it's called 13. I thought it might be a reference to Bono's age when his mom died, but it looks like he was barely 14 when that happened. It could be spun that 13 is the age when a child is starting to be seen as an older child, but, eh.
13th track in the album?

13th track in the album?

Yep, that's all it is. Bit of a shame. The target used to be 10. 10 great songs, five a side. Some bands did 8, or 9, depending on time. Then CDs. U2 give us 13 and critics and people slag them off. Albums used to run about 40-45 minutes. 10 songs. Still seems like enough. 10 new songs. Let's tour.

Hasn't been that way for decades. Lots of filler resulted. Restraints are good for art.

Back
Top Bottom