Songs of Ascent V - The Final Bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how far into the Songs of ascent hype are we in comparison to the nloth hype?

IE, when did we have this quantity of (reliable?) information during the no line hype?

NLOTH was released end of February/early March, and around the end of December 2008, we finally had the Q magazing preview.

I tend to be hopeful about June release... and i think that is only because of the upcoming tour. I just don't see them doing another tour without introducing any new material at all.

**keeping my fingers crossed**

Yeah me too.

I really hope Winter is on the album too.

And that gannet clip, the lyrics are obviously terrible and it is obviously a joke song isn't it. But I actually really enjoyed the music! They should give it proper lyrics and have that on SOA too!

I think a mix of some abstract original SOA and some Bono-Edge more "written rather than improvised" songs is what we can expect.

It does not have to be bad both approaches have been good in the past. Even Achtung Baby was a record that relied more on writing than on improvising.

I think the moderate commercial success of NLOTH has given them a reduced margin for error this time around. So it's understandable they want to include some more potential hits than the full-on original SOA.

It's a bit of a pity as NLOTH is in my view a great artistic success (except for the songs the band wrote as "hits" which broke the atmosphere and, even worse, did not succeed in their intention of becoming hits) and a more unadulterated atmospheric album would have been just what the doctor ordered, but let's see what they come up with.

But I have a lot of trust in this band as they have provided me with great music for a long time, and even their failures (IMHO October, War, Rattle and Hum, Pop, HTDAAB) are very interesting and show new sides of their art.

So I'm fairly impatient to listen to SOA.

I know it's far too early for this kinda hype, but who else sees this when they imagine the album cover for SOA?

songsofascent2.jpg

I like Larry's facial expression at about 0:20..."shut up about the gannet already!"

(and this means Elevation type of songs because...?)

"

I agree 100%!!

What is to say that this means Elevation type songs? Have people forgotten about hits like SBS, New Year's Day, Streets, WOWY, Pride, Desire, The Fly and the list goes on??

Plenty of what U2 has done, both hits and non hits, have been songwriting focused and great at the same time. 2 Hearts, Refugee, UF, ASOH, IGC, RTSS, almost all of AB and Pop, the list goes on.

Yes, in the 2000s, "looking for a hit" has usually meant Elevation or Vertigo, songs that are fine by me, but certainly fall a long way short of classic. However, lets look at their entire career, as well as the recent lessons they have probably learned from the NLOTH middle 3 for a little more confidence!

That, I think is the key question. Will U2 be able to go back to making popular music that you hear on the radio(War, UF,JT, R&H, AB) and has the added benefit of being spectacular?

All I know is I would love to see U2 get back to this place, and that is more important to me than what kind of album this happens to be. Yes, I would like an SOA original concept album, but then again, do we really want all slow and meditative stuff from a rock band with not alot of margin for error this time?

Remember Every breaking wave was described as a "surging anthem", they may already have that hit single...

I agree 100%!!

What is to say that this means Elevation type songs? Have people forgotten about hits like SBS, New Year's Day, Streets, WOWY, Pride, Desire, The Fly and the list goes on??

Plenty of what U2 has done, both hits and non hits, have been songwriting focused and great at the same time. 2 Hearts, Refugee, UF, ASOH, IGC, RTSS, almost all of AB and Pop, the list goes on.

Yes, in the 2000s, "looking for a hit" has usually meant Elevation or Vertigo, songs that are fine by me, but certainly fall a long way short of classic. However, lets look at their entire career, as well as the recent lessons they have probably learned from the NLOTH middle 3 for a little more confidence!

That, I think is the key question. Will U2 be able to go back to making popular music that you hear on the radio(War, UF,JT, R&H, AB) and has the added benefit of being spectacular?

All I know is I would love to see U2 get back to this place, and that is more important to me than what kind of album this happens to be. Yes, I would like an SOA original concept album, but then again, do we really want all slow and meditative stuff from a rock band with not alot of margin for error this time?

This:up:

Just for fun, why don't we guess the tracklisting? Ideally from working titles we've heard about. Ok we're all gonna be WAY off! But as I said, just for fun! :D

1 - Kingdom Of Your Love
2 - Every Breaking Wave (1st single, number 8 in uk charts)
3 - Anybody Is A Star (2nd single, number 28 in uk charts)
4 - Velvet Heart
5 - House
6 - The Pilgrim's Lack Of Progress (3rd single, number 58 in uk charts)
7 - If I Could Live My Life Again
8 - Not As Yet
9 - Winter (New version which is a cross between linear and brothers version)
10 - Mercy (New version)
11 - Songs of Ascent

That's an awful title. Please tell me you made this up and it's not actually a song title that we've heard being tossed around.

The latter I'm afraid. But you know what U2's like, they change their working titles a lot anyway, so hopefully no need to worry.

I do however think it's a better title than that awful pilgrim one

The word you're looking for is "Everybody". Whoever attempted to interpret Bono's chicken scratch saw "Anybody", but I can obviously see the word "Everybody".

I can't remember, is "Anybody" is a Star mentioned anywhere other than in Bono's scribbled writing on the green lyric sheet? Because I read that as "Everybody" is a star... but then again, it is Bono's handwriting.

Just for fun, why don't we guess the tracklisting? Ideally from working titles we've heard about. Ok we're all gonna be WAY off! But as I said, just for fun! :D

1 - Kingdom Of Your Love
2 - Every Breaking Wave (1st single, number 8 in uk charts)
3 - Anybody Is A Star (2nd single, number 28 in uk charts)
4 - Velvet Heart
5 - House
6 - The Pilgrim's Lack Of Progress (3rd single, number 58 in uk charts)
7 - If I Could Live My Life Again
8 - Not As Yet
9 - Winter (New version which is a cross between linear and brothers version)
10 - Mercy (New version)
11 - Songs of Ascent

so you are predicting not only what songs will be on an album (provisionally titled SOA), but also their tracklistings, single order, and chart position? Wow.

The latest Q magazine in the UK quotes Bono' s 5 step plan to take over the world in 2010. He says that they want to play some songs by the time they go back on tour at the end of May..........."We've been listening to material for Songs of Ascent. We havent fully decided to press 'go' on that. But we're touring at the end of May and it'd be nice to have some new songs. Even if it's an EP or a single song".

On Spiderman..........."It's potentially one of the best things we've ever done".

Dont hold out for a full album before the tour!!!!

The latest Q magazine in the UK quotes Bono' s 5 step plan to take over the world in 2010. He says that they want to play some songs by the time they go back on tour at the end of May..........."We've been listening to material for Songs of Ascent. We havent fully decided to press 'go' on that. But we're touring at the end of May and it'd be nice to have some new songs. Even if it's an EP or a single song".

On Spiderman..........."It's potentially one of the best things we've ever done".

There's time from now 'till 3rd leg of 360...let's wait and see.

So tour and Spiderman and possible new songs live - what are the other of the *5* steps to take over the world ?

looks like my prediction for the EP could happen.

this is the most mental band in the world, lol. just get the album done.

The news is pretty contradictory. First the release date is probably June then Bono says they might just play some songs live with an EP or a single. :huh:

i'm guessing the Irish Times article is still the most recent interview, since newspapers print the news that day, where the Q article could have taken place up to a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom