Songs of Ascent: the lost album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't worry. i'm totally with you on this thread. the people who hide behind the whole "well it wasn't officially announced by U2.com" argument are just being cranky.

Dude, you bought it. Some didn't. No need to be cranky about that. :love:

No, I have absolutely no perspective into how the band thinks or feels, but that was my point.

What were we basing their disappointment on? I haven't seen any of these statements saying they were disappointed. Where do they exist?

How do they judge reception? Awards? Sales? Gavin Friday's personal review?

Pop's disappointed was well documented but not till well after the fact, so I'm curious as to what people are basing this on?

Conflicting emotions does not equal disappointment. Edge believes it will be a grower (so do I, actually - the album could be more appreciated in the future), Bono is disappointed by the lackluster reception of the 1st single and so on. They sure as hell aren't delighted with the success as they were with the last two records (although there are some, again, conflicting emotions about the artistic credibility of The Bomb - check out Larry's comments in U2 by U2).

actually, i never completely bought it. all i'm saying is that i think U2 fans have a legit reason to be pissed at the band this time.

actually, i never completely bought it. all i'm saying is that i think U2 fans have a legit reason to be pissed at the band this time.

I wouldn't say that. I would only argue that higher hopes than normal are/were understandable given the more detailed way they were talking it up. No even medium term U2 fan would ever 'believe' a word they say on such things, given their history (and that doesn't matter anyway) but it was a bit more than - or a little different to - the usual hyperbole they always sprout. To believe it as a locked in 'announcement' or to then be pissed when it doesn't happen I think is silly, but to raise your hopes a bit given the way they talked about it wasn't crazy. And it looks like something was on the cards for June for sometime, and that that was the plan until relatively recently, evidence that a (for them) very quick follow up wasn't just the normal shit talking this time.

The annoying/frustrating/perhaps thing to get pissed off with, would be if they did have this magical, mythical SoA album there, but again erred on the side of commercial caution, and specifically choose to can the SoA idea out of fear. This - or perhaps just after the tour - is/was the moment to pull something like that off, and if it's canned purely out of commercial fear, in favour of concentrating on and waiting for the next BIG**BRASSY**NEW***U2**ALBUM in a few more years, that's really disappointing.

Dude, you bought it. Some didn't. No need to be cranky about that. :love:

pretty much.

some of us have reached the point where we don't believe a single word that comes out of boner's mouth unless it is followed up by an official press release from paul mcguinness himself stating that yes, this is happening.

that's not being cranky. that's pretty much been reality for the past 10+ years.

(although there are some, again, conflicting emotions about the artistic credibility of The Bomb - check out Larry's comments in U2 by U2).

Ironic that the guy who booted off two of the band's best songs of the decade from the final tracklisting would have issues with the album.

i still believe that U2 fans have a right to be upset, but i'm sick of talking about it.

i guess where i'd rather steer the conversation is whether or not the rumored new album to be coming out in late 2010 (Source: Q Magazine) will be called "Songs Of Ascent" or something completely different.

I like the title Songs of Ascent.. would hope that it survives in some capacity..

agreed

I'm as excited about a new U2 release as anyone else here is, and I really really loved the concept of SOA. I don't see why we shouldn't get that album. On the other hand, we could get a totally different album. Times change, things change, mind sets change, and people move on, things are left behind, new things are picked up - so maybe U2 have found a more interesting project or the whole process went into a different direction. The creative process is much more complex than people from outside could ever understand. I think we should just step back a bit and take a deep breath, because we honestly don't know anything about a possible new release. It's much too early, IMO, to make a judgement.

It's not June yet, and it's not the end of 2010 (see the latest blurb from Q). Or the end of 360 for that matter.

The band never said "SOA is definitely (not) happening". I like that it's not mere No Line leftovers now - they need a new direction.

It's not June yet, and it's not the end of 2010 (see the latest blurb from Q). Or the end of 360 for that matter.

The band never said "SOA is definitely (not) happening". I like that it's not mere No Line leftovers now - they need a new direction.

no they haven't.. we're just reading between the lines..

SOA the album of meditative, reflective songs, built on material started in the last sessions, is apparently no more..

SOA v.2.0 may come to fruition, though I bet it will have a different title and sound nothing like what was described

I highly doubt we get a new album this year or next year. I don't care what Q says because more than likely the source is the band or someone close to the band. They have months to change their mind, would have to continue the tour into 2011 or it might just be an optimistic feeling that, like SOA, will disintegrate over time. The band is leading us on and Headache is right that we shouldn't believe anything they say. This is just how U2 operates. Sorry to be a downer.

This is the problem though. As fans we keep clinging to every bit of hope. It is true that the band has not closed the door on SOA but that shouldn't be a hopeful sign as much as a validation to be disappointed. :shrug:

2011 was the rumoured timeframe for the tour in S. Hemisphere.

You really think U2 would play a tour this long without some new material ?

The truth is until we hear from McGuiness or the band themselves we don't know what is happening with SOA. Could be a digital release in June. Could be they go back to Fall releases and 2010 is still on. Could be 2011. Could be anything.

so basically the band just took 7 months off of their biggest tour ever for....nothing?

i dont know....i still think they have something up their sleeve. What that is would be anyones guess.

Maybe they planned on getting the album done but it was derailed due to creative differences. Maybe Bono was more into meditative softer material than the rest were. Maybe Edge wanted to get back to old fashioned songwriting. Maybe Larry vetoed every single song they had. Maybe Adam said there weren't enough hits. Maybe Eno was supposed to help out but became too busy. Same for Lanois. Maybe Bono lost his lyrics again (which couldn't be a bad thing these days, given some recent efforts). Maybe Edge is going through another divorce...wait, that would be awesome! Achtung Baby 2!!!!

Just kidding, obviously I wouldn't wish divorce on anyone, except all of my closest friends.

Did everyone already dismiss Alan Cross' June 1st speculation from yesterday as an April Fool's joke?
I seem to remember that someone from on here got in touch with Cross via Twitter to see if he could find out some more about the release?

Songs of Ascent, U2 (June 1?): With the 360 tour set to restart on June 3, U2 may have a new album to work into its set. Those hoping for a shift back to the band’s classic sound after No Line on the Horizon may be in for a disappointment. Bono has been quoted as saying this album features a “marked shift in sound” and is a “reflective, meditative piece of work.” If the rumoured June 1 release date is correct — no guarantees — we should see a single very soon. But other rumours suggest that we’ll get a single in June with a full album in September.
Meanwhile, U2 fans can sort through Artificial Horizon (May 14), a collection of remixes of No Line on the Horizon songs created by artists such as Trent Reznor and Hot Chip, the British electronic outfit. There’s also the possibility of a DVD of last year’s YouTube-streamed show in Pasadena on May 21. And did I mention the Achtung Baby deluxe reissue that may hit stores in September?

Source: Metro - U2, Dead Weather among releases blooming this spring

Then again, this seems like he wrote it a couple of days ago since he does not mention the fact that the Rose Bowl DVD has as a matter of fact been officially announced for June 3rd.

I generally trust Cross not to make up bullshit, even on April Fools' Day...

Did everyone already dismiss Alan Cross' June 1st speculation from yesterday as an April Fool's joke?

No, I dismissed it as him rehashing a bunch of rumors that made the rounds here days ago. Nothing in that article sounded like a "scoop" or insider knowledge. As you say, not even up to date on the Rose Bowl DVD announcement.

I guess in one of Bono's interviews in his recent trip to Africa, he ended the interview by saying to be on the lookout for new songs. Probably nothing but he didn't say new album. Just randomness and can be ignored most likely but there's nothing else new so far. Sorry I don't have a link because it was on Facebook and there was no link provided.

I learned a long time ago that it's naive to believe anything the band says. They love to talk but it's rare that anything real comes out of it. I highly doubt we'll ever hear Songs of Ascent. At most we'll get an EP of new material during the tour so they'll have a new song or two to play. Other than that It's gonna be a few more years before a new album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom