Songs of Ascent - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonocomet

Blue Crack Distributor
Here's the latest update from Rolling Stone's Nov. 26, 2009 Issue

U2 Begin Horizon Follow Up

On six-month break from 360Tour, Bono and the Edge start work on next album

On the horizon U2 have a six-month break before the next leg of the 360 tour kicks off - but it looks like they'll spend it hard at work. After a free gig at the site of the Berlin Wall, Bono and The Edge headed to the South of France for a 2 week songwriting session. "We've been playing really well on tour and getting better and better, and we need to distill whatever we have into some songs," says Bono. The band is still debating whether the next record will consist of songs from the NLOTH sessions - the unfinished album known as Songs of Ascent - or an entirely new set of tunes. Says Bono, "I would like to put out an album quickly, but we're only going to do it if it's great."

Beautiful Day - The final U.S. show at Pasadena's Rose Bowl drew 97,014 fans - and more than 10 million others from 188 nations watched on You Tube, which hosted a free stream of the concert (it will eventually be released on DVD.) "We started with the idea of going back to Morocco and performing No Line on the Horizon in sequence for You Tube," says bassist Adam Clayton. "But we ran out of time to rehearse that."

Back in the USA - In 2010, U2 will play 9 US shows, beginning June 6th in Anaheim California. "Because of the You Tube broadcast, I can't imagine we'd come back with the exact same show," says the Edge. "We'll want to develop and adapt it. The next time people see us, there will be new things to show."

Please add other relevant previous posts to this first page if you like! :)

Continuing from the previous conversation - however many tracks, and whatever lead single; I fully expect an album by Spring. It sounds like they have an embarrassment of too many songs, not too few!

There is a bit more to that article as well about the Rose Bowl and the 2010 Tour, I'll add it in a moment, but one more quote from The Edge:

"Because of the You Tube broadcast, I can't imagine we'd come back with the exact same show," says the Edge. "We'll want to develop and adapt it. The next time people see us, there will be new things to show."

Continuing from the previous conversation - however many tracks, and whatever lead single; I fully expect an album by Spring. It sounds like they have an embarrassment of too many songs, not too few!

I hope you're right but I don't share your optimism. We'll know more in the next month or so where we'll know what these Vancouver sessions spawned. I'll remain cautiously optimistic until then.

I do think that Every Breaking Wave will somehow be incorporated into the Spring...how I'm not quite sure.

:drool::drool::drool::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Who is on the beach clips in France?

I hope those other NLOTH songs see the light of day one way or the other. :applaud:

I hope you're right but I don't share your optimism. We'll know more in the next month or so where we'll know what these Vancouver sessions spawned. I'll remain cautiously optimistic until then.

I do think that Every Breaking Wave will somehow be incorporated into the Spring...how I'm not quite sure.

I don't doubt it will, but I DO seriously doubt that it will still be lead single.

There is a bit more to that article as well about the Rose Bowl and the 2010 Tour, I'll add it in a moment, but one more quote from The Edge:

"Because of the You Tube broadcast, I can't imagine we'd come back with the exact same show," says the Edge. "We'll want to develop and adapt it. The next time people see us, there will be new things to show."

THAT is crazy exciting! :)

Goodbye Walk On, don't let the door hitcha!:applaud:

:applaud:

I'm not very confident that SOA exists after reading this...
I'm starting to think, like some others, that this new recording sessions means that the band is not fully happy with the NLOTH nearly-finished leftovers (who knows if they weren't really finished or if they feel it's too... unacessible for the casual public) and that they're gonna write some tunes that can scream "hit single" to compensate NLOTH's singles fiascos, and mix it with rewriten NLOTH leftovers (to be more accesible too).

I'm very afraid with the iminence of this scenario.

Well, there's no way they're going to get an album of all new material out by June, so if they want an album out by June, it will have to be mainly made of stuff from the NLOTH sessions.

Also note that it is Bono and Edge going into the songwriting sessions in France... not U2, or U2/Eno/Lanois.

I'm not sure what to make of this news. It makes things more confusing than we thought they were before, and certainly takes away from my hopes for SOA to come out by June.

I would at least expect beach clips... possibly by the end of the year.

Well, there's no way they're going to get an album of all new material out by June, so if they want an album out by June, it will have to be mainly made of stuff from the NLOTH sessions.

Also note that it is Bono and Edge going into the songwriting sessions in France... not U2, or U2/Eno/Lanois.

I'm not sure what to make of this news. It makes things more confusing than we thought they were before, and certainly takes away from my hopes for SOA to come out by June.

Really? I have the opposite reaction.... It sounds all the more advanced and concrete to me! SOA as planned plus 2 new songs added to it that they expect to be hit singles.... that's reasonable over the next few months! :)

they have done this before...i remember this is how Staring at the Sun came up....not a big deal that adam and larry aren't there.

The good news is that the band is psyched and in a good mood, which means an album is possible. If they were worn-out or road-weary, then no way.

I think they're searching for a radio-friendly hit single. NLOTH didn't have one, and U2 has always been about trying to be big and taking on the pop charts. If they can find that creative spark, and God walks into the room, etc. then we'll be in business. Here's hoping to productive sessions down in Eze!!!

The good news is that the band is psyched and in a good mood, which means an album is possible. If they were worn-out or road-weary, then no way.

I think they're searching for a radio-friendly hit single. NLOTH didn't have one, and U2 has always been about trying to be big and taking on the pop charts. If they can find that creative spark, and God walks into the room, etc. then we'll be in business. Here's hoping to productive sessions down in Eze!!!
NLOTH had some radio-friendly songs that could've been big hits...

...If the U2/Universal were interested in promoting it well, and not forgetting that this is 2009 and that marketing strategies that worked in 2000 may not work anymore.

On the horizon U2 have a six-month break before the next leg of the 360 tour kicks off - but it looks like they'll spend it hard at work. After a free gig at the site of the Berlin Wall, Bono and The Edge headed to the South of France for a 2 week songwriting session. "We've been playing really well on tour and getting better and better, and we need to distill whatever we have into some songs," says Bono. The band is still debating whether the next record will consist of songs from the NLOTH sessions - the unfinished album known as Songs of Ascent - or an entirely new set of tunes. Says Bono, "I would like to put out an album quickly, but we're only going to do it if it's great."

That's great news! :up: I was thinking the rumored studio time was going to be an evaluation as much as anything else. If they are going right into songwriting it's a good sign that they are determined to get something out. Plus if some material out of this session has great potential in their eyes then it might be a giant step towards meeting the band's requirements for SOA's release. :up:

Anything's possible.

When Zooropa was recorded quickly i think that U2 were just feeling the vibes. When you're totally inspired and in the zone, things happen quickly. So, if U2 are in the zone artistically, then there's no reason why 6 months isn't enough time to put out an album. Hell, in the past artists put out outstanding pieces of work two times in a year. If U2 are going to mull over what they have and overthink and overthink and compromise and compromise like they've been proven to do for the past 2 albums, then i can't really say i'm confident, in fact shooting for next November would seem overly optimistic in that scenario.

I'm hoping they find (or are in) the zone and run with their ideas. But if their objective is to produce even more radio accesible tunes to make up for the latest ones they're unhappy with, then God help us.

NLOTH in sequence in Fez? Damn, don't share ideas like that with us now that it's been ruled out, that's torture Adam!

Anything's possible.

When Zooropa was recorded quickly i think that U2 were just feeling the vibes. When you're totally inspired and in the zone, things happen quickly. So, if U2 are in the zone artistically, then there's no reason why 6 months isn't enough time to put out an album. Hell, in the past artists put out outstanding pieces of work two times in a year.

I'm hoping they find (or are in) the zone and run with their ideas. But if their objective is to produce even more radio accesible tunes to make up for the latest ones they're unhappy with, then God help us.

Exactly. :up: Hopefully the music will be flowing out in this session and I'm sure Bono's lyrics will be there. I can see a couple possible sources of inspiration since NLOTH between the events in Iran, the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and other world events. Using Zooropa as a reference, if they can come up with a lot more quality material by December then there is a good scenario for finishing the album. Like the Zooropa song chart, if they can map out the material they have by December then a couple months to mold that material into enough quality songs for a full album would make finishing SOA easy. That's of course if they don't focus entirely on "hits" like you said.

Exactly. :up: Hopefully the music will be flowing out in this session and I'm sure Bono's lyrics will be there. I can see a couple possible sources of inspiration since NLOTH between the events in Iran, the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and other world events.

I think it would be interesting for Bono to write about his apparent disappointment with the reception of this album. Write about the frustrating change that's happening in the industry but write in a way that it's not obviously about the industry maybe using a disappointing friendship as a metaphor...

what i got out of this is the following:

- get something out quick is a desire, but only if the songs work and are great
- songwrite OUTSIDE of a studio, enter a studio with finished songs simply to record
- might pick up some ideas from the Rubin sessions, if they work well and are easily adaptable to their current portfolio of unfinished ideas
- actually there is more dedicated time than Zooropa since they are currently not on tour

someone needs to call The Factory Recording Studios

this just in: Terry Lawless is still at home

i feel like they go to the south of France a lot after every tour with the hopes of doing an album and then it's like 4 years later.

I'm excited by the news of Edge and Bono writing, but their location makes the return to Vancouver even more rumor-ish. I honestly think any recording will be done at HQ, that's where most of their material is finished, they aren't exactly in the need for a new environment to spark to new writing process kind of mode at the moment.

Good thing that they don't feel the need to take it easy and relax. But to push harder and hopefully squeeze out results.

Thanks very much. You've saved me a numerous trips to the magazine store to see if the issue is in yet. I worry about just Bono and The Edge working together; they can reinforce each other's worst commercial instincts. Remember how proud The Edge is of that crappy "Get On Your Boots" riff in "It Might Get Loud"; the sorry guy really thinks he has a hit on his hands that he plays it 4 times; those two alone is a dangerous, cowardly combo. I'd rather Eno join in with them from the start.

I was really starting to think, based on recent video interviews about UF, that the band realized that the approach it took toward not doing the same thing over and over was the right one for the UF sessions and would be for the next album. I just don't know if it has the guts to stick to it.

Beautiful Day - The final U.S. show at Pasadena's Rose Bowl drew 97,014 fans - and more than 10 million others from 188 nations watched on You Tube, which hosted a free stream of the concert (it will eventually be released on DVD.) "We started with the idea of going back to Morocco and performing No Line on the Horizon in sequence for You Tube," says bassist Adam Clayton. "But we ran out of time to rehearse that."

Back in the USA - In 2010, U2 will play 9 US shows, beginning June 6th in Anaheim California. "Because of the You Tube broadcast, I can't imagine we'd come back with the exact same show," says the Edge. "We'll want to develop and adapt it. The next time people see us, there will be new things to show."

Wow, that is all great news. The only negative I see there is that if it's just Bono and Edge right now maybe they are focusing more on Spiderman songs? But no mention of that in the article, so here's to hoping it's a true U2 project occupying their attention. And great news that the band recognizes that they need some changes for the next leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom