Songs of Ascent - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps we arent seeing the date for brothers soundtrack because B and E are finishing off Winter now, and they want it in the can before details are released. It would be fantastic to have that song out there in a hollywood blockbuster before the album is out. I think that the NLOTH flopped commercially BECAUSE they were searching for the pop hit. Boots, CT both unashamed pop songs, both missed the mark with listeners. Magnificent was a victim of poor marketing. If it had been lead single, it could have been as big as vertigo. I think when the msic public hear Winter (in finished form) they will realise there is still genuine quality in u2's music and not just a dinosaur band trying to churn out hits. Realistically, in the next 3 months, we could have MOS, EBW and Winter generating airplay. That is the makings of a pretty solid little period, and if any of the 3 take off, then SOA will market itself, regardless of how inaccessible it is

Yes... When has U2 ever had such a large break in a tour?

They almost have to in order to keep this tour relevant.

They seem disappointed, so we might get an album purely out of desperation.

They've been talking about since before NLOTH was released...

And this is the first time we've actually had talks about an new album coming sooner rather than later that actually has titles to go with it.

So all of these things are out of the ordinary for U2...

So if you do the math it = good news for fans.

Absolutely right, yes. :up:

Perhaps we arent seeing the date for brothers soundtrack because B and E are finishing off Winter now, and they want it in the can before details are released. It would be fantastic to have that song out there in a hollywood blockbuster before the album is out. I think that the NLOTH flopped commercially BECAUSE they were searching for the pop hit. Boots, CT both unashamed pop songs, both missed the mark with listeners. Magnificent was a victim of poor marketing. If it had been lead single, it could have been as big as vertigo. I think when the msic public hear Winter (in finished form) they will realise there is still genuine quality in u2's music and not just a dinosaur band trying to churn out hits. Realistically, in the next 3 months, we could have MOS, EBW and Winter generating airplay. That is the makings of a pretty solid little period, and if any of the 3 take off, then SOA will market itself, regardless of how inaccessible it is

EBW generating airplay? Whoa Dan...lets not get TOO carried away now! I would hardly call that realistic...:)

EBW generating airplay? Whoa Dan...lets not get TOO carried away now! I would hardly call that realistic...:)

Only based on the fact weve got numerous quotes saying it will be the 1st single. I, and noone else have any idea if any of it will be popular, but all im saying is, NLOTH removed, the 00's U2 have had some mega singles (BD and Vertigo are huge).

I am just saying, in the way that the public embraced songs like WOWY and One, it isnt always the U2 rockers that are popular, and this new approach may prove to be what reinvents the band in the public eye

Maybe Vertigo was the last big U2 single... :shrug: I mean Magnificent didn't do it, and is Every breaking wave really the single they want ?

Maybe Vertigo was the last big U2 single... :shrug: I mean Magnificent didn't do it, and is Every breaking wave really the single they want ?

If Magnificent was released as the 1st single (and was properly promoted) it would have been a big hit IMO. The 1st release from a new album has been by far the biggest single for U2 over the last decade or so; in general subsequent singles haven't done so well.

Yes... When has U2 ever had such a large break in a tour?

They almost have to in order to keep this tour relevant.

They seem disappointed, so we might get an album purely out of desperation.

They've been talking about since before NLOTH was released...

And this is the first time we've actually had talks about an new album coming sooner rather than later that actually has titles to go with it.

So all of these things are out of the ordinary for U2...

So if you do the math it = good news for fans.

Totally correct. :up::up:

If Magnificent was released as the 1st single (and was properly promoted) it would have been a big hit IMO. The 1st release from a new album has been by far the biggest single for U2 over the last decade or so; in general subsequent singles haven't done so well.

Magnificent was the biggest flop of a single U2 have ever had: INCLUDING IGCIIDGCT which was the third single and did better than it! So many people on this board don't get it: GOYB and Magnificent may both be good songs but they are crap singles in 2009 for the same reason: They sound like material U2 has already released! And when a band is 30 years old and the public all own at least a half dozen of their albums each you need to give them something new if you want their money!

Maginificent would have done WORSE than Get On Your Boots.

No thanks. I feel like the reason NLOTH was not an amazing record is because there were some last-minute attempt at a big hit songs; and having those mixed in with some experimental gems, really made the album feel disjointed and incoherent. I'd rather they use the material they have (because it probably is the more experimental stuff that wasn't used on NLOTH and I bet it fits together nicely as an album - all speculation of course) rather than write up some hurried "Crazy Tonight/Crumbs From Your Table/SYCMIOYO/Original of the Species/Stand Up Comedy" re-hash or another "Vertigo/GOYB" style song.

Unless they are writing songs in a Zooropa-style way where they really want to capture the spirit of a new direction and experimentation and see what they can come up with within just a few months time, I think I'd rather hear what they have in the bag already.

To me, this recent song-writing news just sounds like they're second-guessing themselves and I think that's where they've been going wrong lately. I just feel like the harder they try to make big hit songs, the more they won't succeed in doing so. Too much focus on being the biggest band, when they already are; no need to prove something we already know is true.
Agreed. That's what I feel from the last-minute hits they force into the albums that break cohesion ["A Man And A Woman", for instance, in HTDAAB's case or "Stand Up Comedy" in NLOTH's case], that U2 is not confident of themselves and that they don't trust in their abilities and that they totally forgot the learnings of almost 30 years in this industry. They mostly forgot that a pop-catchy song is not necessarily a hit (or it may be an instant hit, but it'll be forgotten within 5 years or so) and that weird and atypical songs can turn into huge hits...
...It's just a question of how you present the song to the audiences and to use the "eureka" marketing strategies. U2 seems to have forgot this.

Plus, U2 forget's that U2's sonic landscapes is not even close to what the mainstream general industry/public is looking for anymore... unless you're a new band/artist that's copying the old one's formulas and landscapes.

That's another reason to forget about trying to make something new to appeal to the radios and the mainstream and to focus and to developp what they already got.

Magnificent was the biggest flop of a single U2 have ever had: INCLUDING IGCIIDGCT which was the third single and did better than it! So many people on this board don't get it: GOYB and Magnificent may both be good songs but they are crap singles in 2009 for the same reason: They sound like material U2 has already released! And when a band is 30 years old and the public all own at least a half dozen of their albums each you need to give them something new if you want their money!

Maginificent would have done WORSE than Get On Your Boots.
Really? I don't know what's happening on the rest of the world but the fact is that across Europe... "Magnificent" may have had poor chart peaks but the truth is that radios and music tv channels still play it... a lot. I have the sensation that although "Magnificent"'s peak was a flop, this is gonna be another U2 classic because of it. And we can see it on the other chart formats: "Magnificent" lasted a considerably amount of time (for a supposed flop) on the charts, although it had a bad peak.

I travel a lot to the UK, Spain, Germany and France and this is the sensation I get. It can be wrong...

Really? I don't know what's happening on the rest of the world but the fact is that across Europe... "Magnificent" may have had poor chart peaks but the truth is that radios and music tv channels still play it... a lot. I have the sensation that although "Magnificent"'s peak was a flop, this is gonna be another U2 classic because of it. And we can see it on the other chart formats: "Magnificent" lasted a considerably amount of time (for a supposed flop) on the charts, although it had a bad peak.

I travel a lot to the UK, Spain, Germany and France and this is the sensation I get. It can be wrong...

I don't have any statistics, but my understanding was that it had very little air-play and chart ranking: the worst of any U2 single in decades.....

Nope...in the USA Magnificent got as much attention as any non-lead off single from their last 3 albums. Radio played the song as much as Elevation, Walk On, Stuck, COBL, Sometimes, ABOY, etc. However, in the USA, radio only massively plays whatever is the first single for U2, so Magnificent never had a chance of getting a lot of airplay unless it was the first single. But it still did as well as expected for a subsequent single.

Now it is clear that Moment of Surrender was easily the best choice for a first single...Brian Eno was right...it would've jumped out at people...it has that epic vibe to it, but it's not really classic U2. GOYB may be an interesting song, but this whole "sexy boots" thing turned more people off than a first single should....also, even if you think Vertigo and GOYB sound totally different, the reality is they have some major things in common, like that distorted up front lead guitar throughout the chorus, then a restrained riff in the verses...add the similarity in the singing style, and it's not a good first single. In fact, I think GOYB would have been far more effective as a second or third single, or even fourth...anything but first!

Earnie Shavers said a while back that he thought U2 should have leaked MOS intentionally online (a la Violet Hill) to build hype, and I couldn't agree more with that. The song is best suited for that venue, rather than radio. Magnificent should have been the first official single. Crazy Tonight after that, then Breathe and NLOTH.

U2 tried for another hit like Vertigo with Boots and failed. I know for me I groaned a little knowing a song like GOYB would be on the album. I like it but I do not love it. Hell, the best part of it ("Let me in the sound") is also in a better song.

U2 should have ditched both it and SUC in favour of Mercy and EBW.

Oh well.

Earnie Shavers said a while back that he thought U2 should have leaked MOS intentionally online (a la Violet Hill) to build hype, and I couldn't agree more with that. The song is best suited for that venue, rather than radio. Magnificent should have been the first official single. Crazy Tonight after that, then Breathe and NLOTH.

I think this is totally correct, this would have been the perfect strategy.
I love Boots, but the "let me in the sound" bit still doesn't sound right, sounds like they stuck it in at the last minute to try and give the album a recurring theme.

I think the reason that they (U2) are less confident (it seems) of bringing out Songs Of Ascent, is that they probably feel they need a big hit first. That was missing on NLOTH in order to make it a big commercial/mainstream succes. I did not care, cause the album in a totality is amazing imo. I like it more than the hit-singles containing ATCLB or HTDAAB.

It seems to me that U2 is always struggling with wanting big hits being played over the radio worldwide from the one hand and wanting to reinvent, to experiment on the other hand. NLOTH was an amazing album, but for a U2 album the album/singles underperformed in sales and in the charts (even when you take the worldwide decline in album sales into consideration). That's a logic result of not having a big radio hit. I think they are afraid that this will happen again and therfore they might be reconsidering bringing out songs Of Ascent first or maybe go further with the Rick Rubin stuff. Less creative stuff probably, but also more radio friendly and more appealing to the mainstream.

i really hope they release songs of ascent and dont try to put out at radio friendly album - after NLOTH they have just started to earn some legit respect (minus the middle section) - i dont want them to regress and mess that up - they need to stick with their original plan

i really hope they release songs of ascent and dont try to put out at radio friendly album - after NLOTH they have just started to earn some legit respect (minus the middle section) - i dont want them to regress and mess that up - they need to stick with their original plan

Just started to earn respect??

Whatever happens, they'll be some interesting outtakes in the vault. Can't wait for the boxset in twenty years!
I don't want to wait that long. :angry:

The band are probably scared because they think SOA will totally flop because it's less mainstream than NLOTH and they aren't happy with NLOTH either. I have a feeling the band (and especially Bono) really like the songs they have left and really want to bring them out but they still want to stay the "biggest bamd in the world". And remember Bono's quote about two bad albums in a row (NLOTH isn't bad but it isn't seen as a good album by the mainstream). I think they should just release SOA, maybe put 1 potential hit on it (EBW?) and then try to release the Rubin stuff as fast as possible after the tour so that they can have a big commercial success again. (then we also have three albums in a pretty short space of time :D)

I don't want to wait that long. :angry:

The band are probably scared because they think SOA will totally flop because it's less mainstream than NLOTH and they aren't happy with NLOTH either. I have a feeling the band (and especially Bono) really like the songs they have left and really want to bring them out but they still want to stay the "biggest bamd in the world". And remember Bono's quote about two bad albums in a row (NLOTH isn't bad but it isn't seen as a good album by the mainstream). I think they should just release SOA, maybe put 1 potential hit on it (EBW?) and then try to release the Rubin stuff as fast as possible after the tour so that they can have a big commercial success again. (then we also have three albums in a pretty short space of time :D)

Like your mode of thinking, I don't think there will be a 4 yr gap between albums any longer since the lads are not getting any younger!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom