Songs of Ascent - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean re-introduce, im still trying to crack that nut! :lol:

I have nothing short of dropping by his house and threatening him*

*disclaimer: this is a joke. in no way am I suggesting either I, or anyone else should do this

Eno's probably intelligent enough to have robots protecting the laptop in a well concealed room.

^ sorry didnt see that, where did it say that? also, does it say specifically in chicago, because they were rehearsing YBR about 3 weeks before the euro leg ended

i forget where, but i think towards the beginning of the article, they're watching U2 rehearsing YBR over and over before the first Chicago show.

fair call. Adam must be recycling his lines

I didn't notice that either, I assumed the same as you, that this was just a load of re-hashed material. So was this the exclusive announcement on SOA that Rolling Stone told us to wait for??

I still feel that SOA will come out before the second European leg.

It is pointless to get too upset about songs we haven't heard yet....

it's just the direction that some of the band is thinking/discussing.

If they have some very slow burning/yearning songs, and want to throw a few POP songs in there, then isn't that what NLOTH turned out to be?

My complaint with U2 the past 6 years is having to polish every song so that it's perfect. part of my love for U2 is their imperfections. song doesn't always have to follow a strict formula.

but like some have said here, these songs could turn out to be the greatest thing ever.

I seem to remember a lot of h8ters claiming NLOTH would not be released until Q4 of 2009 so there is always a chance...

A slim chance, but a chance nonetheless...

I'd say it's more than a slim chance, there's so much talk about it already, the album has a name, the first single has a name, there's a gap in the touring scheduled which is tailor made for a new album.
It doesn't sound just like Bono talking crap, though he is being muzzled a bit I'm sure :)

I'd say it's more than a slim chance, there's so much talk about it already, the album has a name, the first single has a name, there's a gap in the touring scheduled which is tailor made for a new album.
It doesn't sound just like Bono talking crap, though he is being muzzled a bit I'm sure :)

another positive to take out of the article is that it doesn't seem like "Bono against the band" like many had suggested. it seems that they all agree that they want to get SOA sooner than later. if anything, it's the Spiderman thing that the band members disagree about, and i'm fine with that.

The Edge: The one thing is we'd love to follow this album up sooner rather than later.

Larry:I definitely think we should do something good as soon as we possibly can, as opposed to quickly. I'm feeling that it's the unfinished songs from this record that we should be concentrating on

Bono: The next album is called Songs of Ascent, and it's a very clear idea ... I would like to come back with a new single in the spring

Rolling Stone: Did you reconvene with Brian Eno to do any recording?

Larry Mullen: We've talked about it, and how we would do it. I think he went into the studio to have a listen to some things. We will get back together with him.
RS: Over the break between this year and next?
Larry Mullen: Absolutely, yeah. I'd also like to get back to the [Rick Rubin] sessions. I think there's some really good stuff there.

Yes...awful updates on SOA. Tsk tsk, U2 and Rolling Stone.

Interesting how they only mention Brian Eno. No Lanois this time ? And it looks like Bono's way more into the Spiderman stuff than the others; while all seem interested in pursuing SOA and Rubin stuff.

it's like we're all republicans when we get on this forum :)

The article is split between interviews/observations on the first, European leg, AND the Chicago shows. So that info could be a month old, or a few months old.

The article is split between interviews/observations on the first, European leg, AND the Chicago shows. So that info could be a month old, or a few months old.

they refer to the break between this year and the next, which is a pretty good indication that the interview about SOA was done recently.

Sex yes, and other people's addiction, if we're talking in the vein of what U2's done that's fine, I'm sorry but just seeing at face value a post saying U2 need more sex and drugs... that's the dead dinosaur rock star that we never had to see U2 become, and I hope we don't.

Well i wasn't implying a dead dinosaur sleazy take on sex and drugs, but whatever. i'm pretty sure i explained it.

I just read the article today so sorry if this is late. The thing that most bothers me about the article is not that they are still writing for radio hits but that Bono says they have a clear idea about the album but for radio want more pop songs. If you have a solid concept why force anything? With NLOTH, Eno talked about the band working on songs with the intention of them being singles. It's a whole different thing to already have a grasp of the album and then write more songs for the radio. I mean this is a band that once left off Love Comes Tumbling and The Three Sunrises from an album because they didn't fit despite their quality. None of us know how the album will turn out but the radio hits obsession has become so annoying. :shrug:

I just read the article today so sorry if this is late. The thing that most bothers me about the article is not that they are still writing for radio hits but that Bono says they have a clear idea about the album but for radio want more pop songs. If you have a solid concept why force anything? With NLOTH, Eno talked about the band working on songs with the intention of them being singles. It's a whole different thing to already have a grasp of the album and then write more songs for the radio. I mean this is a band that once left off Love Comes Tumbling and The Three Sunrises from an album because they didn't fit despite their quality. None of us know how the album will turn out but the radio hits obsession has become so annoying. :shrug:

This is nothing new; this is how WGRYWH ended up on Achtung Baby. Business as usaual. :wave:

The difference is that despite the "pop" melody, Who's Gonna Serve Your Wild Shuttles actually has sonic depth and lyrical poetry to it, something that can't be said for the two stinkers on the current album.

The radio is full of really bad stuff; why do U2 want to be a part of that? They need to go their own way and stop trying to fit in with all that baloney.

But good job on planning to get SOA out sooner! :up: Just don't make it a pop album. :tsk:

Had the current album been a big seller, we probably wouldn't be worrying about this issue right now. But they're so concerned with their legacy and status, the next album will probably be partial damage control. And I'm sure their manager is going to be pushing for pop songs as well.

We're going to wind up with two Frankenstein albums that we'll probably wind up creating our fantasy playlists from.

if there's one thing i know, it's that U2 don't know what they're doing and have done a really bad job managing their career and putting out albums and touring.

strawman.jpg

If one thinks we're getting a new album before 2011, then this person has no sense of history about this band, at all, in the fucking least.

and 2012 might be more accurate but I'll just go with 2011, to be nice.

If one thinks we're getting a new album before 2011, then this person has no sense of history about this band, at all, in the fucking least.

Well, except for Zooropa. There's always that. Though I don't think they have that in them anymore.

I agree with you. "Low" sales on NLOTH and lack of a radio hit has caused concern. You "can't have two bad albums in a row," after all.

Time to mix the shit out of and constantly fidddle with their material until its properly overcooked for public consumption. Two years minimum.

but if we're following history, then you must be aware that never has the band given the album title and name of the first single to their follow up this soon. so while i agree that history would suggest that the next album won't come out until 2012-2013, you must also keep in mind that the circumstances are different this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom