Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be pretty pessimistic about seeing any new material either before the tour kicks off in Turin (hopefully) or in the window of time they'll have off between October 2010 and when the tour restarts in February/March 2011. For all of the innovative things that U2 have done in their careers, they're still stuck in the old-fashioned mindset of 'one album, one tour, and it needs to be a properly promoted hit record with a bunch of new songs suddenly out at one time.' I don't think the music industry works that way anymore. You'll notice how younger musicians and acts are constantly releasing one-off singles or collaborating with others on songs so they're always able to get their new material out quickly.

U2 seem worried that releasing an allegedly experimental record like Songs Of Ascent will be a mistake since it might not sell well. News flash guys: nothing really sells well these days unless it's marketed at tweens. If U2 put out a new disc with little lead time or even a free online release, the actual quality of the music will be the secondary story --- the headline will be "U2 Puts Out Online Record As Gift To Fans" and they'll be applauded for it. And the music will more than likely be awesome anyways. If 'experimental' means a new Zooropa-style album, that would be amazing.

I'd be pretty pessimistic about seeing any new material either before the tour kicks off in Turin (hopefully) or in the window of time they'll have off between October 2010 and when the tour restarts in February/March 2011. For all of the innovative things that U2 have done in their careers, they're still stuck in the old-fashioned mindset of 'one album, one tour, and it needs to be a properly promoted hit record with a bunch of new songs suddenly out at one time.' I don't think the music industry works that way anymore. You'll notice how younger musicians and acts are constantly releasing one-off singles or collaborating with others on songs so they're always able to get their new material out quickly.

U2 seem worried that releasing an allegedly experimental record like Songs Of Ascent will be a mistake since it might not sell well. News flash guys: nothing really sells well these days unless it's marketed at tweens. If U2 put out a new disc with little lead time or even a free online release, the actual quality of the music will be the secondary story --- the headline will be "U2 Puts Out Online Record As Gift To Fans" and they'll be applauded for it. And the music will more than likely be awesome anyways. If 'experimental' means a new Zooropa-style album, that would be amazing.

Good points regarding the need for a new release strategy.

There will be new material of some kind by the time the tour kicks off, Edge has confirmed as much. We'll at least see a few road tests and probably a one off official single release.

Not sure how reliable this is...u2place.com are saying there are rumours online that the entire band is at Bono's house in Eze, and were seen rehearsing on Saturday (not specified if the rehearsals are for the tour or if this is the new material...).

Miswrote that - apparently Bono was seen in Eze, and the band is said to be there as well, rehearsing inside his house.

so just to recap: no new album news.

Edge has promised to roadtest new material, confirming McGuinness' previous statement when discussing Bono's back injury. In the meantime, Edge will go back to songwriting he said.
Adam told Q Magazine that he's excited about the new songs

Edge want a release rather sooner than later, McGuinness told Brian Hiatt on Rolling Stone that a release is "increasingly likely" towards the end of the year, of course this was before Bono's injury so perhaps it's even more likely now that they have some extra time.

And I read somewhere around here that the band might be located in Eze-Sur-Mer where Bono (and McGuinness) is known to be, probably working on his rehabilitation programme and thus French fans suspect the band is rehearsing in their studio in France. Whether it would be new stuff or tour material (or both) remains uncertain at this point - if any of this is true of course.

Lanois is (very) busy working with his Black Dub project, Neil Young and Brandon Flowers.
Lillywhite recently worked with Evanescence in New York (might still be the case, I'm not sure)
Eno is said to be working with Coldplay for another release later this year. Apart from that, he's experimenting at his studio creating "generative music".
Declan Gaffney might be avaliable and has been working on some mysterious stuff "for U2" according to Artillery Studios Twitter-feed (lastly seen April 21st).

But no, no details about possible tracks yet.

More (not as up-to-date) detailed info here: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ar-a-proposed-map-of-the-album-187523-57.html

Hey The Edge89. Thanks for the fantastic recap.

We did know all that last week. So when I came back from the long weekend and found 6 more pages of forum posts on Songs of Ascent, I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Looked like people just talking.

Again, that recap was perfect. Thanks again.

It would be better if the cited rumors were specifically put in the sticky thread at the top and the chat would go on here. There hasn't been an update (or even a new post) since March in that thread.

I understand though, that is more specific information.
But if rumors are listed as rumors and then maybe leave a mention that this is the thread for discussion, then that thread might be even more useful.

But also, not wading through eleventy hundred pages of chat looking for info.

I'd do it myself but I have no idea what the hell is going on.
After ten years of these kinds of threads, while I am very interested in rumors and such, I am very apathetic about seeking it out through all the rest.

But also, not wading through eleventy hundred pages of chat looking for info.

I'd do it myself but I have no idea what the hell is going on.
After ten years of these kinds of threads, while I am very interested in rumors and such, I am very apathetic about seeking it out through all the rest.

it helps if you're sitting at work, refreshing the page at least once every 10 minutes :crack:

Lanois is (very) busy working with his Black Dub project, Neil Young and Brandon Flowers.

Weirdest supergroup ever?
(Yes, I knew what you meant, I was just being facetious. :wink:)

Also: As much as I'd like U2 to be hard at work recording the new album, it just doesn't seem likely to me. I mean, considering it's been less than a week since Bono got out of the hospital, I'd guess he's still under doctor's orders to take it easy. Maybe they're writing stuff or mixing some of the songs they already have, but I just can't imagine them actually recording for several weeks at least.

It would be better if the cited rumors were specifically put in the sticky thread at the top and the chat would go on here. There hasn't been an update (or even a new post) since March in that thread.

Am I missing something here? :scratch:
"Songs of Ascent: map of the album, Last Update: April 14th 2010" ? :D

In your defence, there was obviously something wrong with my post because the boards wouldn't recognize it as the latest input (instead of Acrobatic's post) in that thread for some reason.

If no one beats me to it - as I've stated before that it's not my responsibility to maintain the post, and I have welcomed anyone to help me out - I could probably get time to update it in about a week at the latest.

It seems way too early for rehearsals. They were only just about to begin when Bono injured himself. But I guess if someone heard U2 'live' and it was a known song, rehearsals is how you'd describe it. If you heard something new, you'd describe it as working on new material or whatever.

I was thinking 10 days pre-tour would be more like it.

Duh, sorry. I was thinking recording, not rehearsals. Yeah, rehearsals would be ages from now.

i sense beach clip possibilities.

:drool:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were "leaked" at some point this summer, to drum up excitement. And the quotation marks indicate my belief that it was done on purpose in the past. They're not stupid, they know that sound carries.

Weirdest supergroup ever?
(Yes, I knew what you meant, I was just being facetious. :wink:)

apparently the name Black Dub was inspired by no one other then... Bono.

I read an interview with Trixie when she was in Belgium (her homeland btw) and this is what she said:

Answering the question as to why the project was titled Black Dub, Trixie says the following: “Daniel was in the studio with Bono and he said: your texts and chords are always so dark. Well if you think my music is too dark I will start Black Dub, Daniel replied. Daniel is really fond of dub, the roots of reggae music. Black Dub sounds rather summery but at the same time very deep with heavy bass lines. It goes back to the essence, the necessity out of which music is created.” (extract from interview Pierre De Decker © Agenda)

i sense beach clip possibilities.

Ditto. I hope there's someone at the right place, at the right time.

Bono has plenty of time now to play new music and crank up the volume in his house in Eze.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
I have such fond memories of hearing those beach clips back in 2008...in fact, I'm pretty sure that's why I joined Interference in the first place, and I've still got the clips on my iPod for nostalgia value. Needless to say, a repeat performance would be greatly appreciated, especially now that we all need SOMETHING to fill the Claw-shaped void in our lives over the summer.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
I have such fond memories of hearing those beach clips back in 2008...in fact, I'm pretty sure that's why I joined Interference in the first place, and I've still got the clips on my iPod for nostalgia value. Needless to say, a repeat performance would be greatly appreciated, especially now that we all need SOMETHING to fill the Claw-shaped void in our lives over the summer.

August 31st 2004: Vértigo, Milagro Droga, Amor y Paz o Ventas
July 30th 2006: Fenêtre Dans Le Ciel, Garçon Qui Tombent Du Ciel, Merci Pour La Journée, "Tous Mon Vie", In Transit (Albert Hammond Jr. solo track)
August 11th 2008: Overweldigend, Onbekend Beller, Krijgen Op Uw Laarzen, Gek Vanavond, Ademen (All clips recorded approximately around July 25th 2008)
2010: ?? :evil:

So far the Spanish, French and Dutch fans have helped us out at the beach in Eze, who will it be this year?
It's bound to happen as I see a pattern of beach clips emerging every two years:giggle:.

Edge, May 25th 2010: Our question now is, What's the quickest way we can get this stuff out? It's so about this moment. We almost don't want to wait until we put a new CD together
http://www.atu2.com/news/edge-were-95-confident-bono-will-make-european-leg.html
:evil::evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom