Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing better than those 80's 'arty' videos that were surely more bizarre than the director ever intended. Especially looking back 20+ years.

It's like some awesometastic mash-up of the greatest cheese and strangeness ever invented.

YouTube - Adam Ant - Prince Charming

Good god.

The only thing missing was a white dove or horse wandering around for no reason.

Yeah, hard to say who was behind the boards on the version we have. According to the Limited Edition book, it was the last song recorded during the sessions; the second to last being A Man and a Woman, which Jacknife Lee produced.

Whoever it was, they sure captured the Achtung vibe pretty well. I can only imagine how a recording that isn't a copy of a copy sounds.

I always assumed it was Lillywhite, since he was the main producer.

:hmm:

I agree, if we hadn't known better I would have thought it's an old Achtung Baby outtake, right down to vocals and lyrics.

Mercy and MOS are both great examples of why U2 need to spend less time in the studio.
MOS is said to be in a very early incarnation. Surely they didn't have time to dummy up Mercy. They need to trust their instincts more.

I'd also personally throw in Native Son, Xanax, the alternate ABOY and Sometimes.
I prefer all of these songs. They just don't sound watered down by studio fatigue.
Also, I absolutely adore Zooropa. I think Levitate sounds better than half of ATYCLB.
I think Smile, even in it's rough stage was as good as half of HTDAAB...

I definitely think there is a consistent vein here.

True, but then this is U2. Spending a lot of time in the studio is the norm starting with Pop even if Edge may be talking differently about their current music project/single/EP/album/SOA. ("how can we put this out asap/it's all about the moment").

I only regret the original ABOY lyrics not making the cut (what are the odds of him reusing that sometime later?), otherwise I don't miss the alternates. eta not as grave as putting 00s material on a 90's Best of or putting too much 00's songs on U218.

Levitate :yes: Always wished it had made the cut, along with Ground beneath her feet and Stateless. Swap these for POE/WILATW/Grace and it'd be a really powerful album.

Smile is good, but not quite album worthy. It's overhyped like Winter (both versions).

I think they ruined Staring at the Sun, but the new version of Gone sounded great. Discotheque isn't too bad, but not great.. QFT.
I liked more guitar/vocals in Numb, too.

Aren't you thinking of Always? Which is an alternative version of BD?

Levitate is not an alternate version of anything that I can remember.

Its been a long time since we have heard any substantial news :) I hope we get to hear something new sooner rather then later!

I forgot about that Numb mix. That was really really good.

Its been a long time since we have heard any substantial news :) I hope we get to hear something new sooner rather then later!

Unfortunately I don't think we'll hear anything any time soon. Bono needs to rest up, and once he's back to 100% they're going to start rehearsing for the tour. This doesn't mean the rest of the band might not be working on something, but I doubt we'll hear anything concrete for quite a while.

People that like the "new mix" of Gone make me wanna cry.

If you've read anything about the recording of the album track you'd think twice before even considering that garbage. Just because it was the least offensive of the new versions doesn't make it good.

Why would they put an alternate version of the lead single on the album?

I think the intention was that U2girl thought Levitate always should have made the cut. Not that Always should have made the cut.

If you've read anything about the recording of the album track you'd think twice before even considering that garbage. Just because it was the least offensive of the new versions doesn't make it good.

I also don't understand the reason behind liking the "new mix" of Gone over the album version.

Gone is by far the worst of the Best Of mixes (which is saying something). None of the others involve a complete removal of any feeling and all weight.

:up: this

I had a bizarre dream last night where I got a copy of Songs of Ascent. Every Breaking Wave was the only song I listened to in the dream, and it featured some great harmonies over some traditional Irish music.

But the vocals were sped up slightly, not quite to Chipmunk level, but definitely sped up. And in the dream, I thought "Oh yeah, there was some interview where they mentioned it was a different vocal style for Bono on this track."

:lol:

the new mixes aren't very good
luckily the original production is so bad that at least they're not less listenable

some U2 news not involving old age would indeed be welcome

the new mixes aren't very good
luckily the original production is so bad that at least they're not less listenable

Yes, but the Pop issues are more in the mixing and editing, rather than the structure or 'structure of sound' or whatever, i.e. poor mixing of the various layers together, rather than the layers themselves being 'bad'. The fundamental changes to some of those songs on the Best Of in many cases change the nature of them. Pop remastered would be great, but their attempts so far at Pop reworked are rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom