Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel quite a lot better now having heard from Edge. Hopefully he'll put the spare time to excellent use in the studio. Although I have to say about wanting to get all the material out on CD - stick it in a computer and click 'Burn'. Then release :wink:

For those of us most concerned about U2 getting the time to work on new music and to get it our rather soon, this looks like it might be a very nice reprieve. Since Edge and Adam says they've been working on some good stuff, now they can actually continue mining the vein without having to worry about much else given Bono's state. Could be very interesting how this all shakes out; if we end up getting an album soon, this delay/injury could end up being a near legendary blessing in disguise.

"We were working on a lot of new songs so I'm already back at work on song-writing and working on stuff for the next U2 record. We are intending to play some new songs live, which is something we've always planned to do and never got around to doing, for various reasons. So we're really excited about the idea of playing a couple of these new tunes in front of a U2 crowd and that'll give us a huge insight into how they're working, and make changes in the experience (?) the arrangement, the tempos, whatever. The ultimate proving ground of a tune is playing it live, so we have the benefit of playing a few of them ahead of recording them..."

so they haven't actually recorded these new songs.. good to have this clarification..

The amount of stuff they must have that they could release now must be ridiculous! Just give us it!!

i'm surprised i haven't really seen this brought up in any of the "OMG Bono's Back" threads, but does anyone else wonder if Bono's misfortune will actually be good news in regards to the new album? since they're all going to be chilling out for a bit, why not complete the new songs, master them, release the album and start the Euro Leg? i think it would be safe for Bono to be in the studio.

I agree, gives them more time, but I doubt they'd release anything before touring again especially since they want to road test them, but say they road test them, can they really master them and get a new album out by say Thanksgving if the tour ends in early Oct.? Will be curious to see if we get something now before August to tide us over....

Will they continute to work on "every breaking wave" or whatever song they like best to release right before the tour kicks off now because of the delay and more time :hmm: I think its a stronger possiblity than ever.

Maybe Bono will bone up on his guitar playing or something if he isn't supposed to be hootin' and hollerin' around while singing.

i'm surprised i haven't really seen this brought up in any of the "OMG Bono's Back" threads, but does anyone else wonder if Bono's misfortune will actually be good news in regards to the new album? since they're all going to be chilling out for a bit, why not complete the new songs, master them, release the album and start the Euro Leg? i think it would be safe for Bono to be in the studio.

I could see a finished single being released before the tour restarts. Then they would road test several songs before putting them down in the studio at the end of the European leg. New album before the new dates/rescheduled dates.

One thing that may happen as a result of Bono's surgery is a new awareness of how much time they have left for major tours. That may speed up the rate at which the band releases new music.

I think this is bad news for any hope of a new album any time soon. Between intubating Bono for surgery (if they had to), and the original injury to his back, he'll have a lot of recovery to go (both with his larynx getting back to full health, and his ability to drive his voice - you use your back to stabilize yourself for those big inhalations, and for those long controlled exhalations during singing). Plus, even if he sounds good, he won't like how he sounds until he sounds perfect in his head (there'll be a whole "I'm going through recovery and my voice sucks" phase until he convinces himself he's back to full capacity again). Remember...he's been singing verses an octave higher on the 360-version of 'Ultraviolet' - he probably won't feel confident until he gets back to that level of performance. Sorry for the lingo...I'm a speech-language pathologist. My hope is that they've recorded something already that they'd be willing to release in the interim.

The problem is that Bono tends to keep re-recording his vocals and lyrics as the tracks come together, no?

But as I said in half-jest above, a different vocal approach could lead to some very captivating material, and certainly wouldn't be out-of-step with what we originally heard about Songs of Ascent in the first place.

Also, since no one has mentioned it in a while, what are the odds that Mercy gets played on the next leg to test it out?

Yep. I said it.

I'm glad you did. I for one would love it. A new song that we (a lot of us fans anyways) already have some familiarity or even emotional connection with and can sing along with... that would be cool. (I don't just mean sing out loud exactly, but just that great feeling of following along inside with a song you know and like. I would love hearing Mercy live like that right now)
I don't know about the odds, but I don't think they are particularly bad odds. I could see them going back to a song like that now :hmm: Yeah I know plenty will say they hope they never go back to it, but not me.

I love that he used that lower register for Cedars of Lebanon, so yeah, would love to hear more of that. :up:

The problem is that Bono tends to keep re-recording his vocals and lyrics as the tracks come together, no?

But as I said in half-jest above, a different vocal approach could lead to some very captivating material, and certainly wouldn't be out-of-step with what we originally heard about Songs of Ascent in the first place.

Also, since no one has mentioned it in a while, what are the odds that Mercy gets played on the next leg to test it out?

Yep. I said it.

Oh no you didn't it!!!!! I would love it to, 2% of the crowd singing along and the other going WTF, how do you guys already know this song (if it's the 2004 version ofcourse!) Would be great and the holy grail of U2 tunes! :applaud:

Oh no you didn't it!!!!! I would love it to, 2% of the crowd singing along and the other going WTF, how do you guys already know this song (if it's the 2004 version ofcourse!) Would be great and the holy grail of U2 tunes! :applaud:

Oh God no! Not Mercy again? This just never dies LOL! I don't think Mercy is a good song and would be kina bummed if they released it as a first single or something (although ide be happy if it was a B-side). Unless Mercy is totally changed I would seriusly prefer a song we have never heard of to be released. To me Mercy is not the direction I would like to see them going in. Mind you this is all just my opinion so don't kill me for not liking mercy :reject:

^My comment will cover yours: Mercy is the worst thing I've ever heard from this band, really. I pretty much hate every aspect of the song. Not even as a b-side I would like it unless they... well, unless it's another song with the same name. :wink:

And that's really rare for me... I pretty much at least enjoy and like almost every U2 song.

^ my "comment" will cover both of your posts.

elephant-poop.jpg

with regard to those opinions.
Not 'Mercy'.

Mercy will be released as a single if they ever release a best os 2000-10, or when they eventually release a boxed set of outtakes and rarities, it wouldn't make sense to me any other way. I just hope they don't ruin it it the same way they did with Winter.

I think if it were to make a Best Of it would likely sound similar, as per what the finished Bomb version would have been like - big, bombastic, loud etc. They'd keep it in line with that kind of era of sound. If it's going to sit alongside those Bomb and NLOTH singles, it's got to have all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop with a red hot poker up it's clacker. Which is what it has now.

If it gets another look in for a future album, it will change, likely dramatically. They don't just pick up old songs as they were and give them a spit and shine, they completely overhaul them.

In my view, the bones of Mercy are okay-ish, but the version we have is representative of an era I sincerely hope they are done with, with a few of those NLOTH tracks representing it's final death shudders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom