Songs Most Improved Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
Which songs do you think U2 most improved on live?

For me, I can name a couple:

Elevation - Live, especially on Vertigo Tour, they cut all the techno crap and made it more rock.

The Fly - On ZooTV it was much better than studio, (guitar just sounded better, Bono's voice goin' deep instead of that whispery thing, and a longer closing) though I think the Vertigo Tour's has been inferior.

And, naturally, most of the Pop stuff has gotten better.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, I'd have to say every song off ATYCLB that got a live appearance.

For instance, compare "New York" on the album to the version on the Boston DVD, or if you have it, the bootleg of their promo gig at Irving Plaza in 2001 in NYC.

Would also agree with Pop studio vs. live.

I think that Streets improves when it is performed live. Naturally the album version is nice but the song is so great that no studio performance can really capture it. It's a song similar to One in that it needs to be heard live to really hear it in its purest form. Some other songs that I personally feel are better live (in varying degrees) are Pride, Bad, Exit, The Fly, Until The End Of The World, Sunday Bloody Sunday, MLK, and All I Want Is You. I'd name more butas you can see I'm new and don't wanna get a reputation as someone who talks far, far too much. lol.

One. The 'Lord, do you hear us coming/calling?' verse improves the song out of sight. Even on the doco it said so. The Slane 01 perfomance is very, very good in my eyes.

Also I think 'The Fly', from Boston 01 at least, is another out of sight improvement on the already terrific album version.

Please and Miami are great choices.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is a huge one for me, i haven't heard the studio version in ages....

Electric Co. & Out of Control are incredible live, they kill the studio versions.

Bad, Until the end of the world, Streets, Bullet the blue sky, Mysterious ways.

(also SBS, Please, New York, Love and peace and Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me)

POPMart Discotheque is OK live but for me, the studio version new mix blows POPMart and Vertigo live performances out of the water. they just sounded so awkward playing it during vertigo

STAY - Totally came to life on the Boston DVD

BEAUTIFUL DAY - Once you've heard a live version you just can't go back to the crappy studio version.

Bullet the Blue Sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Exit.

Also, A Sort of Homecoming live is so much better than on UF.

I would say Please (most of all), Bullet the blue sky (but the earlier versions, the last 2 went a step down), Vertigo, and even Streets (and that's a lot, because increasing the level of the probably best studio recording song is a great thing)

Not that the studio version of Mysterious Ways is bad, but the ZOO Tv version of it is absolutely brilliant.

Bad
Mysterious Ways(ZooTV)
Miss Sarajevo
SYCMIOYO
WTSHNN
Discotheque
OOC
IWF
October
Gloria
SBS
NYD
Electric Co
Running To Stand Still(ZooTV)
Bullet The Blue Sky(ZooTV)
Desire(Mirrorball man)
The Wanderer
Mofo
Gone
Staring At The Sun(Rotterdam 97)
Last Night On Earth
Please
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

Bad
Mysterious Ways(ZooTV)
Miss Sarajevo
SYCMIOYO
WTSHNN
Discotheque
OOC
IWF
October
Gloria
SBS
NYD
Electric Co
Running To Stand Still(ZooTV)
Bullet The Blue Sky(ZooTV)
Desire(Mirrorball man)
The Wanderer
Mofo
Gone
Staring At The Sun(Rotterdam 97)
Last Night On Earth
Please
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Elevation
Kite
Vertigo
LAPOE

Hornbag said:
POPMart Discotheque is OK live but for me, the studio version new mix blows POPMart and Vertigo live performances out of the water. they just sounded so awkward playing it during vertigo
I actually think the Vertigo version was fantastic!

- 11 O'clock Tick Tock: yikes, Martin Hannett really dropped the ball here despite his great work with Joy Division, but the live version is simply astounding.
- 40: kinda bland on War but an amazing closer live.
- Bad: great on the album, out of this world live.
- Bullet The Blue Sky: the ZooTV live version slays the studio version in every way.
- City Of Blinding Lights: the intro is taken to another level entirely live.
- Desire: the Lovetown version with its shredding solo is the definitive version of this song.
- Discotheque: either studio version sounds dreadful but the Popmart and Vertigo versions were excellent.
- Exit: the addition of some great snippets as well as even stronger guitar work live really improves on the studio version.
- Hawkmoon 269: the live slide solo is to die for.
- New York: bland and average on ATYCLB, but some live performances were great.
- One Tree Hill: amazing studio track, but the 1989-12-26, Dublin performance is just so extraordinary; U2's greatest moment.
- Please: horrific studio mix but spine-tingling live.
- The Electric Co.: great on Boy but supremely rocking live.
- Twilight: Another good Boy track that reached even greater heights live.

Axver said:
live.

Again: While the Popmart versions of Please were absolutely incredible, the studio versions weren't that bad.

namkcuR said:

Again: While the Popmart versions of Please were absolutely incredible, the studio versions weren't that bad.

I'd disagree. I can barely even listen to the studio version as it's so inferior to the live performances.

Axver said:
- 11 O'clock Tick Tock: yikes, Martin Hannett really dropped the ball here despite his great work with Joy Division, but the live version is simply astounding.
- 40: kinda bland on War but an amazing closer live.
- Bad: great on the album, out of this world live.
- Bullet The Blue Sky: the ZooTV live version slays the studio version in every way.
- City Of Blinding Lights: the intro is taken to another level entirely live.
- Desire: the Lovetown version with its shredding solo is the definitive version of this song.
- Discotheque: either studio version sounds dreadful but the Popmart and Vertigo versions were excellent.
- Exit: the addition of some great snippets as well as even stronger guitar work live really improves on the studio version.
- Hawkmoon 269: the live slide solo is to die for.
- New York: bland and average on ATYCLB, but some live performances were great.
- One Tree Hill: amazing studio track, but the 1989-12-26, Dublin performance is just so extraordinary; U2's greatest moment.
- The Electric Co.: great on Boy but supremely rocking live.
- Twilight: Another good Boy track that reached even greater heights live.

Agreed entirely.

I will follow, electric co., out of control, trying to throw your arms around the world (incredible on dublin zootv), mysterious ways, new york, elevation, i still haven't found what i'm looking for

kite.jpg

Bad and COBL, as well.

Hornbag said:

I think that the Best Of new studio version is quite booring, the Vertigo version is the best. Bono brings the song to new levels with his new voice, much higher keys then both Popmart live and the new studio mix. And Edge is on fire on the Vertigo version.

Hawkmoon 269 and God Part 2 are much better live, Hawkmoon is one of their best ever live tracks.
The Fly was the best song on the elevation tour, the opening, "light and motion"verse at the beginning was beautiful, as was Bono singing the"love shines like a burning star..."part of the chorus himself instead of The Edge.

Back
Top Bottom