Songs About New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
don't get me wrong,
even though I wasn't a very big fan of ATYCLB, New York was probably one of the most enjoyable.

But, it's really getting tired.
it seems like EVERY album that is released nowadays has a song about New York (see Ryan Adams, Doves, etc...)
and now we have City of Shining Lights, which thankfully doesn't have the name New York in the title.

two most over-used locations in songs: New York and California.

of course, I haven't heard it yet. it could be a really different take on the whole New York trend

I don't really mind it so much - New York is a very artisticly (sp?) inspiring place. And as a future New Yorker, I know that I appreciate those songs very much. Of course, all I've ever wanted to do in life is be a tipsy poet sitting at the Chelsea Hotel wondering if Leonard Cohen and Janis Joplin sat in my very spot - or on the Bowery wondering what Joey Ramone was thinking about.

I absolutely adore New York, and if I was a little ballsier (and a bit richer) I'd move there in a heartbeat. But, I agree with Bassy here as it's place as an overused location for song (and movies/books/television locales0. In fact, I blame most art for my love affair with the city. ;)

Don't forget Leaving New York, the new REM song.

Bono promised he'd write a song about Chicago.

*still waiting*

But I like the New York songs generally. I'm used to everyone writing about NY now.

New York has always been used for artistic purposes.. Practically every other movie has been filmed in New York.
I'm never been to NY, but it must be very lovely to be so deserving of all these tributes.

New York can be a very inspiring place. In many ways, it embodies the ultimate contradictions in American society - Excess vs poverty, Diversity vs Hatred, Unrestrained capitalism vs. Equality, The Establishment vs The Protesters, and so on.
And considering some of the band members have second residences here, it is only natural that they would look upon it fondly.

I think this latest song is just their way of describing something special that happened at a concert when they returned here after 9/11. I have honestly never experienced 'real life' clashing with music like that before. That show was surreal. Let me put it this way - whenever I just think about the October 24, 2001 show, and how they came out to the stage, with 20,000 people screaming at the top of their lungs, I get a chill up my spine, reminding me of the intensity of the emotions.

Besides, just because they write a song about a city doesn't mean they don't care about other places just as much or more.

AJ

Edgette said:
Bono promised he'd write a song about Chicago.

Forget Chicago, he needs to write a song about Seattle. Seattle can be reminiscent of Dublin climate wise. So he should have no problem cracking the Emerald City in song. Or maybe he can write a song about Mt. St. Helens and call it the mother of all mountain songs---lol.

I'm debating the quality of these songs
or the validity

but at least approach it subtly if you are gonna tackle it

I guess it just seems like a bandwagon type of situation

Stuff singing about US cities, Bono should sing about the real heartland of this world, Melbourne, what a wierd and amazing city, its so difficult to understand and interpret the culture.....if one even exists!

Love u2's new york, but I gotta say that REM's Leaving new york, is an absolute masterpiece, the vocals in that song are second to none, crikey its a spinetingler, amazing vocals, Stipe is a legend, deserves unlimited amount of praise for his effort in LEaving NEw York,....backing vocals, damn theyre good too....

Who sung that other NEw York song.....

"Someones singing in the street again, New York New York"....thats calassy stuff that one, hardly ever hear it but i like it when i do.....

A lot of artists have always sung about new york either in the lyrics (without actually mentioning the city) or obviously. It is an inspiring place to most musicians pre and post 9-11

Aww...I love New York songs especially when I'm listening to them as I'm walking down the street in Brooklyn. Angel and PopAngel -- you should come visit. it's a great city! I'll even take you out for a beer.

One of my UF bootlegs that I have, Bordeaux 1984 is one of the few occasions that they sing Indian summer sky. Bono introduces it as a song written about new york.

Also, keep in mind, that as an Irishman, New York probably holds a special place in Bono's heart. So many Irish immigrated there during the 19th and 20th centuries, that, as Bono noted in 'New York', they basically ran the city. The Irish have a relationship with America and New York especially that other immigrants don't necessarily have.

Back
Top Bottom