Songs about Larry or Adam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was listening to Big Girls Are Best last night and started to wonder if Bono had ever written a song specifically regarding Larry or Adam. He's written many songs regarding himself and Edge just wondered if he's done it for his rhythm section.

It has been said that Achtung Baby features some influence by Edge's divorce, but Bono has many times stated "there are many stories on that record."

To say that a specific song is about a specific person is mere conjecture unless the band comes out and says so, although most artists will not state the direct origins of a song's subject matter because they'd rather the song be more universal and left up to individual interpretation.

"Drowning Man" lyrically does not sound at all like it was based on Adam's substance abuse problems. It more resembles a love song. But that's just my interpretation.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Who said anything about his substance abuse?

Correction.. I meant Adam not joining the Christian members of the band in Shalom and other religious activities. When I think of Adam's struggles, I often forget the older days and the religion issue.

I agree HelloAngel about the songs being universal. Do you think any of the songs are *inspired* by Adam or Larry? I know One is inspired by the band as a whole. The reason for my thought is that Big Girls are Best to me is about Ali and her pregnancy and Bono's girls. "Those little girls are best, Big girls are best."

AM said:
I heard somewhere that Party Girl and Wake up dead man is supposed to be about Adam.

Sort of get Party girl, but not WUDM

Most interpretations I've seen about WUDM point to religious origins, and not about Adam Clayton.

bearded morrison said:
I agree HelloAngel about the songs being universal. Do you think any of the songs are *inspired* by Adam or Larry? I know One is inspired by the band as a whole. The reason for my thought is that Big Girls are Best to me is about Ali and her pregnancy and Bono's girls. "Those little girls are best, Big girls are best."

That's a good question, to which I don't have a finite answer. But like I said, there are many stories in those songs. But sure, Larry or Adam could have influenced a song. But I don't think you could point to a certain song and *see* a direct Adam or Larry reference. I assume it would be fun to do so, but unless the band came out and was specific, I wouldn't bother to find clear references. I like the ambiguity.

One is/was inspired by the band's frictions, etc.. and also about AIDS. It's a wonderfully layered song.

BGAB could be about heavy girls in general. But yes, it could be about Ali, much like Sweetest Thing. :wink:

bearded morrison said:
I was listening to Big Girls Are Best last night and started to wonder if Bono had ever written a song specifically regarding Larry or Adam. He's written many songs regarding himself and Edge just wondered if he's done it for his rhythm section.

Babyface was inspired by the models they were hanging around with in the Zoo TV era, Christy Turlington and Naomi Campbell to name a few. We all know Naomi and Adam hit it on.

I wouldn't be surprised if Playboy Mansion has to do with Adam also, since he is the one in the band who seems to indulge in the most excesses. Speaking of indulging, Bad, Running To Stand Still, and Discotheque could have some indirect relation to Adam - the only member who missed a show due to overdose and the only cause of U2's only drug bust in their entire career.

As for Larry, I have no clue.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

AM said:
I heard somewhere that Party Girl and Wake up dead man is supposed to be about Adam.

Sort of get Party girl, but not WUDM

I heard that Party Girl is about Aislinn O'Sullivan, Edge's first wife...

Re: Re: Songs about Larry or Adam?

jick said:

Babyface was inspired by the models they were hanging around with in the Zoo TV era, Christy Turlington and Naomi Campbell to name a few. We all know Naomi and Adam hit it on.

I wouldn't be surprised if Playboy Mansion has to do with Adam also, since he is the one in the band who seems to indulge in the most excesses. Speaking of indulging, Bad, Running To Stand Still, and Discotheque could have some indirect relation to Adam - the only member who missed a show due to overdose and the only cause of U2's only drug bust in their entire career.

As for Larry, I have no clue.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

From what I've read over the years...

Bad - inspired by a friend of Bono's who overdosed on heroin and died in the early 1980s.

Running To Stand Still - about the women in El Salvador Bono witnessed during his missionary trip there; and the drug addicts living in Dublin in the "7 towers" apartment complexes.

Discotheque - about what the band had witnessed as they got more and more enthralled with European club culture.

I know that Larry came up with the Bass line in "Zooropa"...as put in Bill Flanagan's book, Larry often comes up with lyrical ideas and melodies...(the book has him working on IGWS his angels in this capacity). Adam Clayton came up with the ideas for the little lines he "says" at the end of "Blue Room". Edge has said that Adam was a big influence on Elevation.
I think the bass and drum section of the band contribute alot of little things to the songs. I had never heard of one of them coming in with lyrics or a song written. (this doesn't mean that it hasn't happened though) One of the big disagreements within the band during the making of Achtung Baby was the fact that Larry and Adam worked hard on the rhythem sections of the demos and Bono and Edge hadn't written the melodies or lyrics. Bono was mad at this because Larry had complained before about drumming in a predetermined structure. They might have defined "roles" in the studio as to what is expected of each other but if Adam or Larry were to come in with a song I don't think it would be shot down. I don't know if any song has been written about them either but with all of the songs they have written...some of them have to be about them.

Back
Top Bottom