Song You Love Now, But Hated At First

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miss becky

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
What song do you love now, even though you hated it at first?

For me, it was If You Wear That Velvet Dress. When I first listened to Pop, I HATED this song. Yes, with capital letters. I skipped it every time I played the CD. Heck, I even listened to Playboy Mansion more, and I don't like that song, either.

And then about a year ago, I was listening to Pop and I decided to give Velvet Dress a try.

And just like that, I fell in love. I couldn't believe what I had been missing. Here was the sexiest, sultriest, most erotic song U2 has ever written, and one of the greatest Bono vocals of all time. And stupid me had been skipping it all these years.

So what songs have you completely changed your mind about?

I used to really hate Please, it was too slow for me, and I didn't understand what the lyrics meant. Then i gave it a shot and it was one of those "Why didn't i like this song b4?" moments for me.

Same thing happened with One

If You Wear That Velvet Dress. Loathed the song, but I love it now. Incredibly atmospheric.
Bad. Believe it or not. I didn't like it at all at first. Then I heard the live version from UF Tour(Bologna) and I consider it now a master-piece.
Same thing with Kite. Thought it was boring, with that cheesy beginning, but then I was shocked by the emotion and beauty of the live version on the Boston DVD.

djerdap said:

Bad. Believe it or not. I didn't like it at all at first. Then I heard the live version from UF Tour(Bologna) and I consider it now a master-piece.

Yes I agree, the live versions really make that song come into its own. The album version is ok but the live versions really do justice to it.

A big list:

Gone
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (I don't love it now, but I really like it)
Discotheque
The Fly
Where The Streets Have No Name
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow

Please
Hawkmoon 269
New York
Drowning Man

and believe it or not......

I WILL FOLLOW (dont worry though. now its one of my all-time favorites):drool: :drool:

Gone, actually now is my favorite U2 song :|
Miami
Heartland
Dirty Day
HMTMKMKM

martha said:
The whole UF album. :reject: I really didn't like it when it came out because it was so different from the first three. Now it's in my top three favorite U2 albums.

Me too, kinda :reject: I was 15 when I got it and I just skipped around and, as a big War fan, wasn't happy with it. I remember taking it out just to play Pride and putting it away. Now it's one of my favorites too, I love ASOH, ISS, Promenade and UF as well as Bad and Pride. UF and ISS may be my favorites on the record now. What dumb kid I was for missing out on this back then!

Off of Joshua Tree, I wasn't really a fan of "With Or Without You" when it first came out. I saw the song as a bit of a sell-out because it was so radio friendly at the time...it's now one of favourite from any band.

More recently, I didn't like Kite at all off of ALYCLB. Then I really paid attention to the lyrics and now I can't get enough of it.

All those who said, "Kite", I agree. I just didn't get this song at first. Then one day something just clicked. I still don't know what it is. But I do know I like the song a lot now.

The latest culprit is One Step Closer. It's my least favorite track off HTDAAB. And yet I find myself humming it when I'm stuck in traffic. So I figure this will be the next one I change my mind about, and come to like.

The Wanderer - I never gave it a chance... But now I love it.

A Man And A Woman - It's more of a grower; now I'm loving Adam's part mostly, but the song is still growing on me.

Unforgettable Fire album for me, too. Apart from Bad, Pride and perhaps UF, I used to think that the rest of it was junk. Now it's easily one of my top 3 favourite U2 albums.

Love is Blindness and Stay both used to get on my nerves for some reason. Now I love both, especially after hearing Stay live on the Elevation tour.

I also never saw what was so supposedly great about Please until I gave a spin to POP recently.

Hmmm...

Hawkmoon
Please
Zoo Station
Kite
Dirty Day
Love Rescue Me

And hearing all of them live is what turned me on to them

miss becky said:
The latest culprit is One Step Closer. It's my least favorite track off HTDAAB. And yet I find myself humming it when I'm stuck in traffic. So I figure this will be the next one I change my mind about, and come to like.

That's what happened with me with Love Rescue Me... I used to think that song was just BORING as hell... then I'd find myself singing it for no reason (which was very strange, because I probably only listened to it once or twice, and somehow I knew all the words!) Now I love it...

Still waiting for the day I will come to NOT hate Pride... I've been feeling really guilty about not liking that song for the last 20 years...

goat

Miami... I skipped it everytime it started playing. Then I heard it live with BTBS and I went :drool: :drool:.
I liked all the album except for Zooropa for a long time, then I gave it a try... and I was absolutely shocked and amazed. Zooropa, then Babyface, Lemon (that piano in "Midnight is where the day begins" part is :drool: ) and Numb.... Stay, Dirty Day, Daddy'sGPFYCC,Wanderer, Some DaysABTO, First Time. There's not a bad song on it.

Gone....lot of people have listed songs from Pop.....
also Love comes tumbling

The Playboy Mansion
Crumbs From Your Table
Dirty Day (still prefer the versions on the Please single)
Grace
All I Want Is You
Trip Thru Ur Wires

Love em' all now!

Back
Top Bottom