SONG WARS: With or without you vs One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'm gonna steal Discotheques thunder and put up one battle which im craving to know the result of:

One vs With Or Without You

Two U2 classics and although they aint my favourites, they are the favourites of many other people....they are factually good songs.

So here we go, which song is better and why?

oh no, my two favorite songs pityed against each other. i can never pick one for people that ask me my fav u2 song.

here goes nothing:

first few years of my u2 love: WOWY - so it will always hold a special spot in my heart as probably my all-time fav.

but lately (last few years)- One.

With or Without You. Just based on the fact that JT is better than AB (because of TTTYAATW and Who's Gonna Ride). Both songs are really great live, but i just like WOWY a little better.

For my personal selection, I'll say "One." WOWY always felt more one-sided to me, whereas "One" delves more deeply into interpersonal dynamics. I have always felt what is going on in "One" more deeply than WOWY.. Which is not to say that I don't adore WOWY, I just relate to the dynamics of "One" moreso than the expressed yearning of WOWY. :shrug:

Honestly, I can't choose. I was going to say One simply on the basis of live performances where Bono adds the extra verse, but then I remembered WOWY's additional verse too. Oh, and then adding Love Will Tear Us Apart ... hmm ... in that case, WOWY gets it. Hard choice.

Neither are my favourite songs, but WOWY is good while I think One is only average and massively overated.

So WOWY is better.

It?s hard to decide...I really love both, but maybe WOWY a little bit more.I think it?s because Bono?s voice...I don?t know...In WOWY he sings like deeper...I DON?T KNOW!!!!:confused: :confused:

WOWY- does it for me, I like One but not as much as WOWY, but in all honesty neither of these are my favourite slow, or love songs, that would probably be the Unforgettable Fire and stay.....but I gotta say that I think that the lyrics in One are definately some of Bono's finest...

wolfeden said:
With Or Without You is by far more captivating to me as a musician, the thrumming bass line and Edge's slide guitar wailing just sets my hair on end..

One has more lyrical complexity, but the sound just doesn't grab me the same way.

I just read this after my first post and I agree completely, that is what does it for me in WOWY, that musical quality, it truly is such a unique sound:wink:

WOWY, for sure. It has always been one of my top U2 songs and is intensely emotional. One is ... well, it's a great song but it doesn't move me in the same way as the heart-wrenching brutality of WOWY.

I'm wit u sage in sayin One is indeed massively overated but i honestly believe that With OR Without You is a far superior song, and it cannot be replicated.....it is vintage u2, no one else can make a song like that...

100 years from now when U2 and all of us here writing on this forum are just a memory, the song that will go down as being better, the song that will mean more for the world as a whole, will be One. The music is one of a kind, but the lyrics transend time. There might never be a song lyrically like One (not metallica's One), that will mean so much.

Back
Top Bottom