Song Wars!: Discotheque vs. Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This one's self explanatory. Edge rocks out on both of these songs, but which one's better?

I say Discotheque. It's longer, it's awesome live, and, paired with Staring at the Sun, it's killer, man!

What do you think?

Elevation, because I can't stand Discotheque. Elevation is not one of my favorites from ATYCLB, though was very awesome to be standing in GA jumping up and down as the first 'whoo-ooo's started and the band walked on stage!! :hyper: Then when the guitar kicked in and the crowd really came alive! Everytime Bono said "El-e-va-tion!" everybody would jump and scream it and shake their fists in the air. It still gives me a charge of energy just to remember it. It was a good opener live.

Last edited:
Discotheque because U2 shot themselves in the foot releasing a REMIX of Elevation as a single rather than leaving it as it was...and before someone says something like, "there are bits in Elevation I couldn't do without if i only had the album version or, the studio album version lacks something compared to [crappily titled] Tomb Raider Mix..." I would have to say, if you'd never heard the TR Mix, you wouldn't really think that...:(

Last edited:
My first reaction was Discotheque so I'll stick with that. There's a good singalongability to it, it's got a nice riff, is fairly light and easy on the ears and I love the "high, high, high, highhhh" part. In fact I'm going to listen to it right now!

That said, the TR mix improves Elevation a lot I think. The album version is one of my least favourite ATYCLB tracks but the TR mix is pretty catchy.

Discotheque by a mile, especially live. If you've heard the Sarajevo performance, you cannot possibly say Elevation's better.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
Disco.

Come on,"A mole digging in a hole, digging up my soul..."
in all fairness
"You know you're chewing bubblegum
You know what that is
But you still want some"
isn't exactly Yeats either

Disco from Pop is great, until they RUIN the tune w/ one of the worst outros EVER (the boomchas suck). Remix is much better. Elevation is the winner because it's a live monster.

I don't like the sound I don't like the lyrice even though they're logical. So, I love Elevation! And Elevation is my second favorite song on ATYCLB! I did hear an Elevation remix on U2 7. I was a little disappointed because the chorus of that song was slow. I believe it's a fast song so especially the chorus should be fast like on the album version.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
Disco.

Come on,"A mole digging in a hole, digging up my soul..."

No worse than "you know you're chewing bubble gum" :lmao:

"you just can't get enough of that lovey dovey stuff"

"boomcha"

These 2 songs have some of the cheesiest lyrics ever written by U2. But Disco is worse so I must vote for Elevation.

Salome said:
in all fairness
"You know you're chewing bubblegum
You know what that is
But you still want some"
isn't exactly Yeats either

:lmao: :laugh:

I didn't see this until after I posted. Good to see I'm not the only one who noticed the pot calling the kettle black there.:up:

In addition to having some of the cheesiet lyrics, they both have 2 of the dumbest videos ever too. But once again, Disco is worse.

If you ask me, you have to love the "Boom-cha!" The only problem I have is that they don't do it powerfully enough ...

MrBrau1 said:
Disco from Pop is great, until they RUIN the tune w/ one of the worst outros EVER (the boomchas suck). Remix is much better. Elevation is the winner because it's a live monster.

What Brau needs is to hear Discotheque from the Elevation tour! I think it's much better than on the Popmart tour. Even though i love the boomchas, the Elevation arrangement rox. They played regularly up to the bridge, but instead of singing "but you take what you cant get..." they sang Staring at the Sun! It rocked the house.

discothequeLP said:

What Brau needs is to hear Discotheque from the Elevation tour! I think it's much better than on the Popmart tour. Even though i love the boomchas, the Elevation arrangement rox. They played regularly up to the bridge, but instead of singing "but you take what you cant get..." they sang Staring at the Sun! It rocked the house.

I have heard that. It is good.:up:

Discotheque - boomchas = not Discotheque. I'm not so keen on the Elevation performances; they lacked something. Popmart Sarajevo, on the other hand ... oh man, that was one of the most awesome things ever. You haven't lived until you've heard that.

Both brilliant songs, but Discotheque is an easy winner, because it is an utter masterpiece of a creation.

The lyrics might seem completely out of whack, but listen carefully and its hard to think of any lyrics which would have matched the beautifullly inconsistent tempo of the song.

Regarding the Boomcha's and the video clip. C'mon have a sense of humour. Does every song have to possess that serious attitude U2 manifested during the Joshua Tree, or stick with rather conventionally plain lyrics as evident in One or Stuck in a Moment or In God's country.

U2 were doing what they do best, experimenting and being different. Not being afriad to have a laugh or 2.

Edge on guitar is legendary.

My 3rd favourite u2 single since the release of Achtung Baby.

Elevation is good, brillliant live, TR mix is awesome, but it's no discotheque.

Elevation, b/c it's more of a rock song than discotheque, that whole album wasn't U2's best effort.

I'ld have to say Elevation, though I laughed my ass off during the boomcha-part in the Discotheque-clip, I mean come on, that was really great, it was allmost the only thing they did that ever made my friends laugh and that means something

but I still have to choose Elevation, first of all because it was a great opener for Slane and also because I love the TR clip
Larry on a motorbike(stupid helmet though):drool:
and the Edge vs Lara Croft, that was just great, I really loved him saying 'if you can get me outa here you can have your key back'
And in stays a very good song to put on and sing along with as loud as you can

Good ?face-off? ? I?ll go Discotheque

Thinking of these 2 tunes and their similarity go me thinking: Is there enough of these type of U2 songs that could make up a single or an album?

Scenario: It?s very warm late April day ? an early blast of Summer ? and you say to your co-worker friend: ?It?s too great of a day to spend the lunch hour inside. How about we pick up a couple subs at the drive-thru and cruise the park and the college campus. Check out the beauty of nature and beauty of women!?? And he says: ?Sounds great!? And you say: ?I?ve got a fun CD to play.? He says: ?Oh no ? better not be U2! Not fitting for cruisin? on a beautiful day. In the 80s they were too serious / intense. On the one hand - sad and anguished songs. On the other hand - political and social critique songs. Then in the 90s they got all weird and experimental. Now in the 00s they?re adult contemporary pop.? You say: ?Don?t worry! I made up a mix CD that I guarantee that you?ll be tapping your hand on the open car window.?

?Catchy? / pop-rock / high energy / playful / trivial / lighthearted / shallow / ?fun? lyrics and music. A kind of U2 does Bon Jovi / Aerosmith / Def Leppard / Van Halen.

U2 & Cruisin? CD

Discotheque
Elevation
Desire
Hallelujah Here She Comes
Salome
Holy Joe (Garage Version)
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Lady With A Spinning Head (Extended Version)
Mysterious Ways

Discotheque by a mile...

1)Truly innovative production and sound

2)Lyrics that powerfully evoke the feeling of being somewhere/doing something that you really shouldnt -

3)The "cheezy" lyrics ie: "chewing bubblegum" "lovey dovey stuff" etc are classic Bono misdirection - Bubblegum could refer to anything, from crap music that you just can't help singing along with to drugs... "you know what it is but you still want some...", "Lovey Dovey stuff" is another reference to same - the drug E was commonly refered to as "Doves" in Europe and was known for its effect of making people feel "loved up"...

3) The boomcha's concealing bono's tiny voice:"I can't get out of it/not enough" - the will being subsumed by the power of the beat/drug whatever....

4) Edge's incredibly dirty guitar sounds.... Love it!

Elevation.... Hmmm, it's a pleasant enough tune but I really can't find any depth or emotional impact in it... Plus it's links with "Tomb Raider"... a really really bad film...!

Back
Top Bottom