Song wars: Beautiful Day vs. Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These are both excellent summer songs that would have lived forever in memories of road trips, amusement parks and parties, but they came too late in the year. They rock at any time of year though, but I think they had the potential to be like THE song of the summer and that would make them more special for more people, not just fans, but oh well, I love them anyway! I'll play them all year long, we have them forever now!

Leebonoman96 said:
Beautiful Day saved U2 and is a true classic. Don't get caught up in the hype that surrounds a NEW song. Vertigo is good but will never acheive what Beautiful Day did.

While I'm loving Vertigo right now, and will even more live, I think this is probably true.
Time will tell though.

they are both very great.
Vertigo is a bit more rocking than BD.

the very start of the song reminds me a little of the AB Demo "Where Did it All Go Wrong?" ....just a little :)

Beautiful Day and Vertigo are two amazing songs. Each one is/was very innovative and fresh at the time of its release. Like many, I did find myself playing Vertigo over and over for the past days. Edge's guitar, the bassline, the drum beat and Bono's voice are unbelievable (or "extraordinary" as the B-Man would say). Still Beautiful Day is a classic. Right now, we are all in this place called Vertigo :combust:, and everything else seems very "plain". In few weeks, months, that probably will be a different story (or maybe not?). I think only time will tell.

-Cyril

ntalwar said:
Vertigo is a "rocking" song like Elevation, so it's hard to compare it to BD.

Ok, I'll compare those two then. Vertigo is about 5 times better. Vertigo is everything Elevation should've been.

For sheer power, Vertigo wins. For overall strength, BD may be the best.

I love Vertigo, though, and I think it's just what the band needs. No more lite stuff, and a lot of straight-ahead rock.

Vertigo is definately the Elevation of this album, lets hope they get out a rocking music video out soon, as I think what made Elevation great in the eyes of the public was the fact that the music video was top notch with all of the special effects

Vertigo is superior to everything on their last not so great sounding record. The songs were really great but overproduced and mixed to death. Hey captain, your guitar is pounding my ears and I can even clearly hear the drums. Just how I like it.

I think that Vertigo is a fine rock song, but it`s irrelevant, it has no innovations, the lyrics are kind of shit ("donde esta?", "catorce" :huh: c'mon!...)

Beautiful Day its a much better song as a whole (great lyrics, amazing chorus, outstanding guitar work...)

Dont get me wrong, i'm a hardcore U2 fan.

Even Electrical Storm is much better than Vertigo

Last edited:
I would go for Vertigo, and not only because it's new. It's just umbelievably energetic.

I think some of the comments about Beautiful Day becoming more of a classic are true, however. It's such a positive and beautiful song, and it seems like everyone and their cousin just love this song, U2 fan or not, even four years after it was released.

I was really excited about BD when it came out, and I still love it, but Vertigo is just so catchy and rocking... Can't wait to hear it live!

It's probably too soon for me to give an honest assessment, but here goes:

Beautiful Day is a better song, in the technical sense, but I love the change of pace Vertigo presents. It sounds like the band is totally relaxed and just wants to have fun. It's not often we get that (don't get me wrong, I like U2 for their ability to make me think, more than anything else).

I agree with what ArtDirector said back on page one.

I really like vertigo and yes, it totally reminds me of some of the songs off Powderfingers release of last year 'Vutlure Street', that being a great rock band making great rock music and departing away from the softer easy listening ballads. Beautiful Day was alright, but put it this way I dont remember the first time that I heard it, where as I will remember the first time I heard Vertigo and I can remember the first time I heard the Fly too- nuff said:wink:

Last edited:
Vertigo and Beautiful Day are two different animals. It took awhile for BD to grow on me, but Vertigo I liked instantly. That doesn't nessecarily make it better... a lot of U2's music gets better the more you listen to it. I think they're both joyous songs and sure to make you smile. Vertigo is more rockin' but BD is more epic and emotional. They're both great songs, and both are what U2 needed at the time. With Vertigo still being new, I think I'm gonna have to wait a couple months before I can honestly say which song is better. Right now I'm unfairly biased :)

This is tuff. As other have staed before, they're two completley different songs. Now when I first heard BD I didn't like it (of course I wasn't a U2 fan then), but now I am absolutely head over heels for it and consider it to be one of U2's finest. Vertigo, on the other hand I liked instantly. I think I have to wait a while to see how I still feel about Vertigo in the future.

It's probably too soon, but I'd have to say Beautiful Day. Vertigo is great. Really energetic song with a fresh sound. It rocks ! But BD has really grown on me, and it's truly a U2 classic. (even though it's been heavily overplayed)

I have only heard "Vertigo" twice and I like it. I still like Beautiful Day more 'cause there is a personal attachment with that song. The song came out at a time when I needed motivation and something to be happy about and Beautiful Day did just that. In terms of sound, both sound very similar. That's not a bad thing at all. I will admit that Vertigo sounds nothing like what I had originally expected.

Back
Top Bottom