Song titles that 'suck' - yet the song is great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Viva La Vida

now, stop that! :shame:

...whatever, I'm sure I'll be crying to it and waving a lighter over my head when I hear it at 15 different U2 shows next summer...

:drool:

you mean your cell phone, right? that you'll be giving us setlist updates on, k.. :wink:

Things must be getting really slow around here. I mean, to complain about song names? Good lord! There might be a couple out there that could be condensed a bit, but to say "lemon" or "Love is Blindness" The Fly"...ect....huh???:doh:

well just take your basketball and go home, then. buh bye:wave:

I'm not so sure about some of the song titles, but I can't wait to hear them!
U2 Set Sale For a New Horizon | U2 Exit News Blog

:drool:

Not sure about that article, but it's :hyper: in it's own way.

I just wanna slap everyone who has complained about the UNCONFIRMED titles so far.

Take Bad. Terrible title. Great Song.

PS: Also can't stand the "I made up my mind about the album because I've heard the beach clips and the crappy titles" attitude. Fuck.

So I want to prove a point to all the people that are already complaining about the new album song titles 'sucking' before they've even heard the songs.

Does it really matter that much if the song title 'sucks', if the song itself is fabulous? :hmm:
I think a lot of U2's song titles can be pretty lame.. but its the music that matters, isn't it?

So post U2 song titles that you think suck, but in turn think the song is actually phenomenal.

I think you can still dislike a title without it having any bearing on the song. There's really no point to prove, as long as you keep them separate, you're doing alright. Anyone who actually tie the two together needs to re-think some things. That being said:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Bad
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (I love the acoustic version and like how it shortens the title)
When I Look at the World
Love and Peace or Else

I hate unintelligible abbreviations more than anything else.

Honestly, most of the titles listed are fine, and that's got nothing to do with familiarity. Where the Streets Have No Name is a fine title.

Bad U2 titles:
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Elvis Presley and America
Love and Peace or Else
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
When I Look at the World

Good U2 titles:
The Electric Co.
A Sort of Homecoming (probably their best)
Exit
I Threw a Brick Through a Window
Crumbs from Your Table

I generally like songs where the title isn't in the lyrics.

'Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World' is my favorite U2 song title. It conjures up a vivid image, it's memorable, it's unique, it perfectly sums up the song's happy/drunken vibe, and it almost sums up the band's modus operandi.

Exactly put yourself in the shoes of us fans when we were told U2's new single was going to be called 'The Fly', it was like :huh: we're going to get a song about an insect?!

It makes sense now, but then, HORRIBLE title.
You know, looking back I wasn't thrown/upset/confused/bemused/etc by the title of that song, or the song itself when it was released. It was a new U2 song and we hadn't had any news for 2 years at that point!!!

I was more excited by the fact that it was a limited edition single, on sale for what was it, 2 weeks or a month, then it was gonna be deleted? That was exciting, going out and buying the special limited edition picture sleeve.... ah memories...

I say that song titles don't work when there is no song behind them.
As soon as we know the song, the title starts to make sense.
In this particular discussion we're not even having confirmed song titles ... the ones most people are bitching about are fabrications.

I've never liked the title Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. For one, it's too long. It's just too....cheesey for me. Wasn't Tough the original title? I like that a lot better. I love the song, just never been keen on the title. Say it to a non-U2 fan and they don't really take me seriously.

anything longer than one word. the only exceptions i can think of are asoh and wtshnn.

i can't help it, i just think U2 "40" war looks better than U2 "sometimes you can't make it on your own" how to dismantle an atomic bomb :crack:

Yeah, I don't like long song titles either, even if they may sound interesting or poetic, I just think they don't look good. I like short titles, not necessaritly one word titles, because if they use only one word titles for all songs it looks boring and somehow dull.

anything longer than one word. the only exceptions i can think of are asoh and wtshnn.

i can't help it, i just think U2 "40" war looks better than U2 "sometimes you can't make it on your own" how to dismantle an atomic bomb :crack:

Definitely, maybe 3-4 words for me. I dig references to film titles or other works, too.

"Full Metal Jacket"? That's a bitchin' title. Sonic Youth's "Shadow of a Doubt" comes to mind here... brilliant song, even better title.

I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For (very long)
likewise Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

Mofo is a bit weird (I know what it means anyway)

Some of the titles rumoured to be on the new album I don't like that much.
Love Is All We Have Left (sounds like a boring ballad)
You Can't Give Away Your Heart (sounds like a boring soft song)

But I can be wrong, and I probably will be wrong. :D

:reject:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Desire
When Love Comes To Town
Lemon
Staring At The Sun
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Peace On Earth

So I want to prove a point to all the people that are already complaining about the new album song titles 'sucking' before they've even heard the songs.

Does it really matter that much if the song title 'sucks', if the song itself is fabulous? :hmm:
I think a lot of U2's song titles can be pretty lame.. but its the music that matters, isn't it?

So post U2 song titles that you think suck, but in turn think the song is actually phenomenal.

but...Sicy, you're sort of missing the point...song titles have nothing to do with the actual music, yes...which is precisely why people shouldn't get so frustrated when fans start criticizing the new album's assumed song titles. A shitty song title is a shitty song title..."Love Is All We Have Left" is terrrrible...a song title like "Love Is All We Have Left" could be replaced by 100 different titles that mean exactly the same thing...it's just so boring and painful to say aloud...there's nothing wrong with someone complaining about the new album's song titles even if that person hasn't heard any of the beach clips or u2.com clips...it makes no difference...yes a song titled "Love Is All We Have Left" could be brilliant, I realize that, but that is beside the point...it's still a shitty title, and has nothing to do with whether or not you've heard the song or the "don't judge a book by its cover" philosophy...we're not judging the album, we're judging the song titles...

I see your point, but the point I was trying to make was it seemed like a lot of people were already judging the new songs by the song titles and already assuming that the songs were going to suck because of the titles (dont know where that thread is now, it was a while ago!). Like I was saying, you could hate the song title but don't assume that the song is going to be bad just because the title is bad... that's what I was trying to say.

I see your point, but the point I was trying to make was it seemed like a lot of people were already judging the new songs by the song titles and already assuming that the songs were going to suck because of the titles (dont know where that thread is now, it was a while ago!). Like I was saying, you could hate the song title but don't assume that the song is going to be bad just because the title is bad... that's what I was trying to say.

ah...ok cool :up:

Back
Top Bottom