Song Sound-alikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murray

Acrobat
Judging by NME's description of the new album, these are the 'song sound-alikes,' or maybe just the same sound.

Vertigo - Elevation
Miracle Drug - Acrobat
Sometimes...- Stuck...
Love And Peace Or Else - Bullet The Blue Sky
City Of Blinding Lights - Where The Streets Have No Name
All Because Of You - I Will Follow
A Man And A Woman - Grace
Crumbs From Your Table - In God's Country
One Step Closer - When I Look At The World
Original Of The Species - Kite
Yaweh - Lemon

FAST CARS - Womanfish

How does Vertigo sound like Elevation? I've heard multiple people say this now and I still don't understand it.

Ok...

Vertigo
"Woah oh oh oh oh"
Elevation
"Whoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo"
Vertigo
In a place called VER-TI-GO
Elevation
So high EL-E-VA-TION

I dunno, but basically cuz they're built from similar power chords.

Vertigo and Elevation are nothing close!

I'm siding with Spaceboy on this. The chords are not even close to being the same! Nor does the tune sound anything similar. Only the use of distortion may be considered a comparison.

To me their totally related at least siblings sort of like how acrobat, ultraviolet and love is blindness are from the same branch of the AB tree, Vertigo and Elevation are from the same branch. Bono does that rap like talking in both songs, the power chords (not the same chords but the way he plays them) There both fun energetic throw away songs, so i totally see why many people see them to be similar. Vertigo actually makes me like Elevation more now. :)

And from the Miracle Drug clip i would have to agree with NME because i hear the AB thing happening in spades in that clip and that's why i am so looking forward to that song. Vertigo was everything i heard in the clip actually it sounded worse with Bono's rapping and no solo which i thought it would defintiely have but Miracle Drug will be the one to look forward to for me.

Last edited:
EvolutionMonkey said:
To me their totally related at least siblings sort of like how acrobat, ultraviolet and love is blindness are from the same branch of the AB tree, Vertigo and Elevation are from the same branch. Bono does that rap like talking in both songs, the power chords (not the same chords but the way he plays them) There both fun energetic throw away songs, so i totally see why many people see them to be similar. Vertigo actually makes me like Elevation more now. :)

And from the Miracle Drug clip i would have to agree with NME because i hear the AB thing happening in spades in that clip and that's why i am so looking forward to that song. Vertigo was everything i heard in the clip actually it sounded worse with Bono's rapping and no solo which i thought it would defintiely have but Miracle Drug will be the one to look forward to for me.

Bono isn't rapping. Please, let's not refer to it as rapping:mad: . But I see what you're saying. I guess I see Vertigo and Elevation having no relation because I don't like Elevation and I love Vertigo. When I hear people make strong comparisons, it frustrates me a bit.

boosterjuice said:

Bono isn't rapping. Please, let's not refer to it as rapping:mad: . But I see what you're saying. I guess I see Vertigo and Elevation having no relation because I don't like Elevation and I love Vertigo. When I hear people make strong comparisons, it frustrates me a bit.

It's just all opinions so no big deal, but whatever we call that 'talking or rapping' i just don't like it, that's one of my gripes with Vertigo and Elevation (especially) i wish he would just sing it through. :p

I relate Elevation and Vertigo just because they're so fun, cool and upbeat. I know nothing about the mechanics of music so I don't think of it that way. I love both songs!!

EvolutionMonkey said:

It's just all opinions so no big deal, but whatever we call that 'talking or rapping' i just don't like it, that's one of my gripes with Vertigo and Elevation (especially) i wish he would just sing it through. :p

I agree with you on this! When I first heard Vertigo's verse, I was disenchanted. But after a few listens I have come to the understanding that Bono's talking fits the song and makes the chorus stand out that much more. I don't like Elevation b/c Bono is talkrapping throughout the chorus. At least the chorus on Vertigo is amazing.

Vertigo is soo not a throw-away song like I feel Elevation was...
everyone will see, I'm so sure of it and can't wait !:yes:

I think it's gonna be such an incredibly heavy dose of irony if crowds still feel vertigo's throw-away when they tour the thing, in my very my opinion!
Like, if lots of girls show up with crimson nails and crosses? and sing the swoony uh-uh-uh-uh-uh with bono? ohmygod it'll be nuts. or else i'm nuts of course!

that said, elevation makes me want to put on platform shoes and strut, sort of like discotheque makes me want to put on high heels and grind them into the floor like I'm stamping out a ciggiebutt, but Vertigo makes me want to put on red or black converse hightops and strap on a guitar!

Sorry for doing a little song shoe-alikes here instead of being wholly thread-relevant!

cheers again!

Last edited:
I most certainly hope that A Man And A Woman does not sound like grace. I don't hate any u2 song except GRACE. That is the only U2 song that i for the life of me could not listen through the whole song! So I will be very very disapointed if a song like grace gets into the album!

Nico

thats one of the reason i dont like vertigo it sounds like elevation( tomb raider mix) not my kind of music! the guitar sound is the same(maby hes using the same effects or something) and bano's scating(or what ever you want to call it.)

EvolutionMonkey said:

I agree about Vertigo but the Miracle Drug's sound was so crappy that you can barely make out what's going on besides the solo... its really hard to make an assesment. I mean I feel like I hear Unforgettable Fire and ATYCLB like elements in that song (the album that is).

A Man and a Woman will not sound like Grace. NME described it as a rock song.

dabiggestu2fan said:
I most certainly hope that A Man And A Woman does not sound like grace. Nico

I must feel agreement here...
It is the only U2 song I have trouble listening to as well, don't know why (because I tend to skip it)...

I'm hopeful it'll just have the pacing of Grace or the calm of it but feel richer...it's *got to*. ATYCLB sometimes seems to me to be all these little private ditties, U2's baggage writ large for us to see and love.
I just can't see a song titled A Man and A Woman
being like a private humming session in someways.
I plan someday on trying to give Grace a couple more chances to work for me,
but I don't think A Man and A Woman mid-LP will be like it...

cheers!

djerdap said:
A Man and a Woman will not sound like Grace. NME described it as a rock song.

I am not saying that A Man And A Woman will be Grace, I am saying it will have similar things that Grace had. I think it will be chilled and poetic.

It would probably be safer to say that it is like Grace with a rocking bass/guitar/or drum part.

Murray said:

am saying it will have similar things that Grace had. I think it will be chilled and poetic.

chilled and poetic sounds very nice thanks!:yes:

Vertigo - Elevation.......nah
Vertigo - You keep me hanging on.......mmmmm
;)

In the Naaame of Love,
Stop!!

:eek:

Stop, In the Name of Love?!
:eeklaugh:

cheers all!

dabiggestu2fan said:
I most certainly hope that A Man And A Woman does not sound like grace. I don't hate any u2 song except GRACE. That is the only U2 song that i for the life of me could not listen through the whole song! So I will be very very disapointed if a song like grace gets into the album!

Nico
Grace is not a bad song at all. Edge plays a great guitar hook on it, and he's become a master at acoustic songs in recent years. Take the Elevation Tour's version of "Stay" for example. Take the Zoo-TV's "Satellite Of Love."

Bono's lyrics aren't his greatest on that song, which I admit, but he has a great voice on it. I would say that Edge is more responsible for making the song great. Speaking of which, the main guitar riff is stuck in my head, which is just fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom