Song of the day 25-08-05: Discotheque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassis

Refugee
Discotheque

You can reach but you can't grab it
You can't hold it, control it, no,
You can't bag it
You can push but you can't direct it
Circulate, regulate, oh no,
You cannot connect it
You know you're chewing bubble gum
You know what it is but you still want some
You just can't get enough of that lovie dovie stuff
You get confused but you know it
Yeah, you hurt for it, work for it, love,
You don't always show it

Let go, let's go, let's go,
Discotheque
Let go, let go, go go,
Discotheque
Looking for the one
But you know you're somewhere else instead
You want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head
Love

It's not a trick 'cause you can't learn it
It's the way you don't pay that's okay
'Cause you can't earn it

You know you're chewing bubble gum
You know what it is but you still want some
You just can't get enough of that lovie dovie stuff
Let go, let's go,
Discotheque
Go go, go go, discotheque
Love, love
Looking for the one
But you know you're somewhere else instead
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head

Love, love, love
You want heaven in your heart
Heaven in your heart
The sun, the moon and the stars
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
And you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

Boom cha, boom cha
Discotheque
I can't get it, I can't, it's not enough
Boom cha, boom cha
Discothque
Boom cha, boom cha
Discotheque
Boom cha, boom cha
Discotheque
Boom cha, boom cha
Discothque

I didn't care for this song when it came out, and it sent a negative message to me about Pop, which I kept distance from at the time. At that point in 1997, it felt to me like U2 were pulling away from what made me connect with their music in the first place.

Having said that, now Pop is easily one of my favorite U2 albums, and Discotheque one of my favorite songs on the album. I'm glad I was able to come around on this song, and the Pop album in general, because I really think it's good work. U2 are an adventurous band that take chances and God bless them for it!

MCF74 said:
I didn't care for this song when it came out, and it sent a negative message to me about Pop, which I kept distance from at the time. At that point in 1997, it felt to me like U2 were pulling away from what made me connect with their music in the first place.

Having said that, now Pop is easily one of my favorite U2 albums, and Discotheque one of my favorite songs on the album. I'm glad I was able to come around on this song, and the Pop album in general, because I really think it's good work. U2 are an adventurous band that take chances and God bless them for it!

Exactly my sentiments.

MrBrau1 said:
One of the worst songs in the U2 cannon. U2 as bandwagon jumpers, trying VERY hard to be hip, cool.

Umm no. . .

Its brilliant. They should play it live again. I miss it. In fact I miss all the Pop songs they used to sing live. But this one in particular. Aww, remember them coming out of the big lemon and singing it on the wee stage? I loved that. Popmart was SOOOO cool.

Anyways. . . Boom-cha. Discotheque rocks.

EDIT: I forgot!! The "Life During Wartime " Snippet at the end!!!!!!! OMG that was the coolest snippet U2 have ever done!

THIS AIN'T NO PARTY! THIS AIN'T NO DISCO! THIS AIN'T NO FOOLING AROUND!!!!!

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
One of the worst songs in the U2 cannon. U2 as bandwagon jumpers, trying VERY hard to be hip, cool.

I'm not entirely sure how their dressing as the Village People was trying to be hip and cool

Magnificent song, on a magnificent album
Discotheque rocks, and has one of the best Edge's riffs ever

Discotheque
Vertigo
HMTMKMKM

* MoFo * said:

I'm not entirely sure how their dressing as the Village People was trying to be hip and cool

I'm not commenting on how the video looked.

I'm commenting on their music.

Trendy it was.

The tune is one of their all-time worst moments and a complete waste of a fine guitar lick.

It isn't my favourite U2 song either. Often, when I listen to Pop I start with #2, thus skipping Discothèque.
The live version was better though.

:)

MrBrau1 said:

I'm not commenting on how the video looked.

I'm commenting on their music.

Trendy it was.

The tune is one of their all-time worst moments and a complete waste of a fine guitar lick.

I don't recall disco being one of the musical trends of 1997. What specific trends was U2 following?

mobvok said:

I don't recall disco being one of the musical trends of 1997. What specific trends was U2 following?

Discotheque is not a disco song, it's just the title.

Roni Size. Leftfield. Prodigy. Chemical Brothers. and on and on.

All these groups were breaking, and U2 tried to cop their sound on Pop. Mofo is the worst offender in the hipster/trendy area.

MrBrau1 said:

Discotheque is not a disco song, it's just the title.

Roni Size. Leftfield. Prodigy. Chemical Brothers. and on and on.

All these groups were breaking, and U2 tried to cop their sound on Pop. Mofo is the worst offender in the hipster/trendy area.

I'm just confused because I've heard on this board both that Discotheque was too different and jaded people about Pop, and now, that Discotheque was too trendy. No way to win, I guess.

I don't know enough about those bands you listed to tell if Discotheque was copying or not, but regardless, I feel they made a great song and you evidently do not. :)

mobvok said:

I'm just confused because I've heard on this board both that Discotheque was too different and jaded people about Pop, and now, that Discotheque was too trendy. No way to win, I guess.

I don't know enough about those bands you listed to tell if Discotheque was copying or not, but regardless, I feel they made a great song and you evidently do not. :)

That's pretty much par for the course. U2 can't please everybody all of the time and you know what, it doesn't matter. The fact that I could come 180 degrees on Pop and the song Discotheque proves that you can love something that you once hated. I really like the Pop album now where I used to ignore it all together.

And personally, I think Mofo is a kick-ass song! Yeah, it's a late-90's dance song, but it still jams.

Those who can't appreciate Discotheque for the rocking riff and the sheer coolness of it all.... just SUCK, period. :down:

:wave: :p

packcrush said:

Umm no. . .

Its brilliant. They should play it live again. I miss it. In fact I miss all the Pop songs they used to sing live. But this one in particular. Aww, remember them coming out of the big lemon and singing it on the wee stage? I loved that. Popmart was SOOOO cool.

Anyways. . . Boom-cha. Discotheque rocks.

EDIT: I forgot!! The "Life During Wartime " Snippet at the end!!!!!!! OMG that was the coolest snippet U2 have ever done!

THIS AIN'T NO PARTY! THIS AIN'T NO DISCO! THIS AIN'T NO FOOLING AROUND!!!!!

:rockon:

Discotheque will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the song that got me into U2 in the first place. My mom basically FORCED me to listen to it...and once I heard it there was no turning back. I think I listened to that song about 3954893275843 times before I realized there were more songs on the album...

...and then I did the same thing with Do You Feel Loved. Man I love Pop. And I love Discotheque. Possibly my favourite Edge riff ever. I love the whole feel of the song. It's very rock 'n roll and dance and even techno seeming all at the same time...on the surface it's a fun song but there's this underlying layer of darkness that seems to be present in every Pop song. The rhythm section is fantastic, especially the bass :drool: Edge's chiming guitar is heavenly. The end is fuckin' awesome. Too bad the Best Of version killed it with no boom-cha's. I love the video too, it's not only hilarious but Bono is also really hot in it :drool: and of course it worked very well live!!

I could rant about this song forever. It makes me sad that some people can't appreciate it. Except, not really, because it's their loss.

I love you Zoot.

It took me a lot of listens to get used to Discotheque when it was first released, everytime I heard it all I thought was "this is not U2". But it grown overtime, and once I heard the live rockier version from elevation Miami, I had gossebumps all over!

Great song, great video, great performance live.

'This aint no foolin around.'

10/10

Back
Top Bottom