Song of the day 13-08-05: Seconds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassis

Refugee
Seconds

It takes a second to say goodbye
Say goodbye
Say goodbye
Say bye bye
Where you going to now

Lightning flashes across the sky
East to west, do or die
Like a thief in the night
See the world by candlelight

Fall, rise and fall, rise and

In an apartment on Times Square
You can assemble them anywhere
Held to ransom, held to pay
A revolution every day
U.S.S.R., D.D.R.
London, New York, Peking
It's the puppets,
It's the puppets pulling the strings

Say goodbye, say goodbye
Say goodbye, say goodbye
Say goodbye

I wanna be an airforce ranger
I wanna be an airforce ranger
I wanna live the life of danger
I wanna live the life of danger

Say goodbye
Push the button and pull the plug
Say goodbye

This is the rise and fall
The rise and fall

And they're doing the atomic bomb
Do they know where the dance comes from
Yes, they're doing the atomic bomb
They want you to sing along

Say goodbye, say goodbye
Say goodbye, say goodbye

i like this song

it has a catchy bassline, easy drums from what i can hear.

It's the puppets pulling the strings

:up:

Great song! Perfect example of the political U2 that's missing these days when there's so much going on in the world to scream about.

One of Liam Gallagher's favourite U2 songs seemingly!

Perfectly encapsulated the mood of the early 80's, speaking as someone old enough to remember it. The optimism of economic and technological progress mixed up with fears of armaggedon.

Ronald Reagan....'morning in America'........Sting singing about Russians.......Lech Walesa and Poland........God it makes me misty eyed just thinking about it.....:wink:

Last edited:
wolfeden said:
I about wet my pants, they actually played this on the radio the other day.. WZLX Boston!!!!

wow, was Seconds even a single?? :huh: that's awesome though!!

Great song, excellent bassline, classic political U2.

liamcool said:
All of it on the album version, the first verse live.

No, on the album he also sings only the first verse.
:) (So Bono sings starting from In an apartment on Times Square)

Nice song. :up:

And AtomicBono, Seconds was never a single. So I guess it's a small miracle then that the radio station played it. :D

COBL_04 said:
I don't really like it a lot. It's in my bottom 3 or so on the album. What part does Edge sing?

You're part of the HTDAAB generation. I'm not surprised that you don't like it.

Popmartijn said:

And AtomicBono, Seconds was never a single. So I guess it's a small miracle then that the radio station played it. :D

Speaking of which... NY's Q104.3 here has played every single U2 song (more or less) on air! Of course most of which they played during a U2 (A-Z) weekend. ;)

wolfeden said:
I about wet my pants, they actually played this on the radio the other day.. WZLX Boston!!!!

Holy shit! On the radio??? That's fantastic! This is one of my biggest favorites!

Popmartijn said:

I'll second the :eyebrow: . Admittedly, I was only 3 when War came out, but I'll readily say that it's my favorite album. We young'ns are allowed to love the early stuff, too, even though we never made it to Red Rocks or Dortmund.

Peace and love to everyone! :wink:

Utoo said:

I'll second the :eyebrow: . Admittedly, I was only 3 when War came out, but I'll readily say that it's my favorite album. We young'ns are allowed to love the early stuff, too, even though we never made it to Red Rocks or Dortmund.

I see what you're saying. I was 5 when War came out and actually hadn't even heard Seconds till some time in the mid 90s. But it's just hard for me to see somebody adore HTDDAB and at the same time, also like a seemingly obscure very political U2 song from the early 80s. Just like how if you grew up with pre-2000 U2, it's quite likely that you won't appreciate post 2000 U2 all that much. But hey, I'm not trying to generalize. To each his/her own! :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom