song of the day: 11/04: She's running to stand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
And so she woke up
Woke up from where she was
Lying still
Said I gotta do something
About where we're going

Step on a steam train
Step out of the driving rain, maybe
Run from the darkness in the night
Singing ha, ah la la la de day
Ah da da da de day
Ah la la de day

Sweet the sin
Bitter taste in my mouth
I see seven towers
But I only see one way out

You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

You know I took the poison
From the poison stream
Then I floated out of here
Singing...ha la la la de day
Ha la la la de day
Ha la la de day

She runs through the streets
With her eyes painted red
Under black belly of cloud in the rain
In through a doorway she brings me
White gold and pearls stolen from the sea
She is raging
She is raging
And the storm blows up in her eyes
She will...

Suffer the needle chill
She's running to stand...

Still.

starsgoblue said:
The ZooTV version is one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard.

Yep. You wont beLIEve how many times ive listened to the Alllleeee Alllleeeeee Alllleeeellluuujjjaa PART. Play rewind Play rewind. It will never be played as good as that again, because bonos voice was much stronger back then.

WHEN will this video be on DVD? Its criminal.

The hallelujah's on the ZooTV version are just bonechilling...and Bono's rendition of a heroin junkie always leave me with my mouth hanging open. You can really tell that Bono is just pouring himself out as an offering to everyone in the audience in that song....we are so lucky to have it captured on film... though it really needs to be given justice on DVD.

Since I'm feeling generous...a link for the ZooTV version of this song for anyone who's ears have not yet been blessed to hear it or add it to their MP3 collection:
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=D26CC1C859E768105F7243865C8950B6

:heart:

Unbelievable though it now seems, I hated this song when Joshua Tree came out, I used to ffwd it as it was too slow and boring. I'll keep that in mind when the new album comes out, as now this is one of my favourite U2 songs. It just took time (and ZooTV) to convince me.

And that's the beauty of U2's music, each song unwraps itself in its own time, slowly growing in my opinions until I see it as a classic.

Great song, ZooTV version is in my opinion the best guitar performance Edge has ever achieved, and that really is saying something!

Well. ive had a pretty shite day today. Its pissed it down and all ive had is grief off me gaffer.

Youve just cheered me up no end.

Thats not the Sydney version is it? Which one is it?

And that's the beauty of U2's music, each song unwraps itself in its own time, slowly growing in my opinions until I see it as a classic.

Great song, ZooTV version is in my opinion the best guitar performance Edge has ever achieved, and that really is saying something! [/B][/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Edge plays a Huge part in making Zoo TV a classic. The guitar playing in the Fly, Mysterious Ways and throughout is exceptional. But the killer guitar solo has to be bullet the blue sky.

Another thing I find about U2, is I have disliked some of the songs on the albums, but completely changed my mind when i hear the song live, then i find that the songs I didnt like have grown on me. EBTTRT is one example.

kiwilad said:
Unbelievable though it now seems, I hated this song when Joshua Tree came out, I used to ffwd it as it was too slow and boring. I'll keep that in mind when the new album comes out, as now this is one of my favourite U2 songs. It just took time (and ZooTV) to convince me.

Great song, ZooTV version is in my opinion the best guitar performance Edge has ever achieved, and that really is saying something!

Completely agree. Edge plays a Huge part in making Zoo TV a classic. The guitar playing in the Fly, Mysterious Ways and throughout is exceptional. But the killer guitar solo has to be bullet the blue sky.

Another thing I find about U2, is I have disliked some of the songs on the albums, but completely changed my mind when i hear the song live, then i find that the songs I didnt like have grown on me. EBTTRT is one example.

She's running to stand still???
Without the "she's", isabelle_guns...
One of those songs which grew on me immensely. Beautiful, chilling, heartbreaking. Best U2 lyrics ever.

RTSS is one of U2's most beautifuly sad songs...
Some of B's best lyrics and vocals.

starsgoblue said:

Since I'm feeling generous...a link for the ZooTV version of this song for anyone who's ears have not yet been blessed to hear it or add it to their MP3 collection:
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=D26CC1C859E768105F7243865C8950B6

:heart:

Oh wow, thanks, its great. Is that Streets its running into? If it is , (which I'm pretty sure it is) than thats one heckuva transition.:drool:

Last edited:
I thought the Zoo TV version took a bit of the emotion out of the song...not the vocals, but musically. I like the R&H version better, but I tell ya if this was a full band acoustic...I think it would sound even better! Just my take..

starsgoblue thanks so much for posting that version of the song!!!! I was just watching my zootv tape the other day with my friend and I couldn't stop saying, "Man I wish I had this version in mp3". This is great, thanks a lot.

I can't really say much about this song other than it is absolute perfection. Some of the greatest lyrics I've ever heard, just complete brilliance, from start to finish.

I really can't add much new to this one - everyone has pretty much said what I could have said about "Running...." .

The only thing I could add is that one of the reasons why this song resonates with so many of us is because most of us have been in spots in our own lives where we felt like the girl in the song. :yes:

We have felt confused, overwhelmed, frustrated, maybe desparate about something in our livea and we emotionally have to face ourselves in the mirror and make a very hard decision: do we stay "stuck in the moment" or are we going to find the inner strength to stop "running to stand still"?

This idea is one that we all know Bono revisits in many of his lyrics, but "Running...." is especially poignant, emotionally stark and bittersweet.

Yet it has within it the SEED OF HOPE that we can make a better choice, a wiser decision with our lives and in that idea, "Running...." is another U2 masterful song/psalm. :hug:

And Bono sings it beautifully.

STILL RUNNING....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Back
Top Bottom