song of the day 10/7: Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 01/7:Gone

For the record, there was no song of the day for the past few days 'cause I have been sick.

1. listen to song
2. read lyrics
3. post thoughts

You get to feel so guilty
Got so much for so little
Then you find that feeling
Just won't go away

You're holding on to every little thing so tightly
'Til there's nothing left for you anyway

Goodbye...
You can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

You wanted to get somewhere so badly
You had to lose yourself along the way
You change your name, well that's okay, it's necessary
And what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

Goodbye...
You can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

'Cause I'm already gone
Felt that way all along
Closer to you every day
I didn't want it that much anyway

You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

Goodbye...
And it's emotional
Good night...
I'll be up with the sun
You're still holding on
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down
I'm not coming down

Gone...sun...time...sun...
Gone...sun....gone...sun...
Sun...

One of U2's best songs. The heart of Pop. Rocking, passionate tune that only got better on the Elevation tour. One of my top U2 tunes ever.

I love Gone. EVERYBODY does an outstanding job on this one. Great lyrics. The Elevation Tour verion is indeed the best one and I hope they keep on playing this song on the next tour. I LOVE the Boston DVD version, specially at the end. :wink:

I think that the 'new mix' they put on the Best Of.. album (and on the Elevation Tour) was a great re-working of this song. I go back and listen to the Pop album version and it just doesn't resonate in nearly the same way.

Matter of fact, I will say the same for a few other tracks on Pop that I wish would be re-worked and appear somewhere on future albums, b-sides, or where ever they can squeeze them in.

The band has said in the past that Pop was an album that they never felt was finished properly. 'Gone' is an example of what fine tuning they could have done given more time with the album.

The new mix is brilliant stuff and I include it in the company of my favorite U2 songs. Brilliant stuff.

Gone is probably the #1 song, U2 or any other artist, that I can relate to most. I related to it when I moved from KY, and I'll relate to it again when I move out.

It's a great rock song, and like vertigo each member has an equally awesome part.
The beat is catchy, you can't help but tap your foot and move your body.
Adam's baseline will have you tapping your fingers to the rythym.
Edge's guitar....well.....what can I say? It's edge!
And Bono's vocals are outstanding.

I think Gone really grew into it's maturity as time progressed.

I think the band performed it better recently during Elevation than they did when it originally came upon the scene. I think it's a wonderful rockin' song.

U2democrat said:
[B
It's a great rock song, and like vertigo each member has an equally awesome part.
The beat is catchy, you can't help but tap your foot and move your body.
Adam's baseline will have you tapping your fingers to the rythym.
Edge's guitar....well.....what can I say? It's edge!
And Bono's vocals are outstanding. [/B]

That about sums it up - I'm happy that U2 put out a new mix on the best of album - That song is just powerful and beautiful - strong showing from each member

and U2democrat......like the picture:wink: :drool:

TheBrazilianFly said:
I love Gone. EVERYBODY does an outstanding job on this one. Great lyrics. The Elevation Tour verion is indeed the best one and I hope they keep on playing this song on the next tour. I LOVE the Boston DVD version, specially at the end. :wink:

I totally agree. I also really like the quiet middle part (in the live version) where Bono is also strumming just a few chords to accentuate his lyrics. :bow:

*prefers the original Pop version to the remixed Best Of version, but it cannot touch the awesome live version*

Popmartijn said:

I totally agree. I also really like the quiet middle part (in the live version) where Bono is also strumming just a few chords to accentuate his lyrics. :bow:

Yes, I like that too. :yes: The ending of Gone on the Boston DVD is just amazing, it builds into one of U2's best endings to a song with that that jet plane sound with Bono screaming, Larry hitting the drums even harder and Edge going at it! Plus Bono is playing guitar while Edge is doing his thing at the end and that really makes a difference cause it makes the song fuller. I love those chaotic endings and also when Edge smashes his guitar on the ground! :love:

great song.

personally I prefer the version on POP than greatest hits 1990-2000.

This is a top 5 U2 song for me. I could handle an entire cd mix with just various takes on this song in the studio and live. The song that gives Pop some respect. :up:

One of my all-time U2 top 3! The lyrics are awesome... and the music... MAGNIFICENT! Some of U2's very best.
I'm talking about the Pop version naturally, as the new mix is in my opinion absolutely AWFUL :yuck: and wish had never seen the light as it f“““s up completely an otherwise wonderful song.

How happy I am to see that on the day of my birthday you picked one of my top 5 U2 songs:wink:

I love this song, the lyrics are something that I think everyone can or has related to at some stage in thier life. Why it was never a single from pop always amazes me, truly the best song from that album..

Happy Birthday OzAurora...

Sorry Gone has never really enchanted me, kinda felt it's over rated but that may change someday. Off Pop im more of a craver of discotheque and please...

Adam owns this song. This has gotta be Claytons best bassline ever. In fact, the whole album was one great bassline; Feel Loved, Angels, Last Night on Earth, Please, Gone, Velvet Dress etc.

Pop should really be called Adam!

Back
Top Bottom