song of the day 10/23: Grace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
Grace
She takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name

Grace
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that
Changed the world

And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness
In everything

Grace
She's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk

She travels outside
Of karma, karma
She travels outside
Of karma

When she goes to work
You can hear the strings
Grace finds beauty
In everything

Grace
She carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips
Between her fingertips

She carries a pearl
In perfect condition
What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings

Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Grace finds beauty
In everything

Grace finds goodness
In everything

Hmmmm, not a hardcore fan of this song. I give it about a D+. Its ok, but probably b-side material.
One of the bad things about ATYCLB i reckon.

Not much of an album closer as well, although as an aussie my ATYCLB closer is ground beneath her feet.

Axver said:
This song is criminally underappreciated.

:yes:

Great lyrics too. Although I do think there's one bad line in it ("It's the name of a girl, it's also a thought that changed the world" is a bit too obvious). Still, it's a great closer. Soothing.

I think it works best when followed by The Ground Beneath Her Feet, which, on my version, it is.

This song is underappreciated, but I can't blame them. This song has to deal with Christian virtues/values which perhaps non-Christians or atheists in this board cannot quite grasp. That is why this song has gotten so little love. It is one of U2's most brilliant songs and one of their best album closers ever (ok so it doesn't beat 40, but it sure leaves Love Is Blindness and Wake Up Dead Man in the dust.) It is a beautiful song. Some songs are rocking, some are accessible, some are catchy, some are urgent, but the only way I can descibe the song is beautiful. It like an upgraded version of Amazing Grace made 10000x more profound and deeper.

Cheers,

J

Agree with Jick on this one. I also like the trio of ideas here - Grace the girl, Grace as an attribute, and of course Grace from God. Bono plays with each definition throughout the song. This girl has such grace that you can hear strings, i.e., violin strings, as she's walking. She's also not stuck up because even though her walk is good enough for a ramp or catwalk, she has time to stop and talk.

But the best part is definitely the closer - what once was hurt, what once was friction, what left a mark...no longer stings - because grace makes beauty of ugly things.

That's simply beautiful...and yes, even profound.

As a christian, I think this is a great song for the reasons you've posted. I love the lyrics and I also love how Bono sings them! Great song IMO.

I have always seen Grace as a “faith song” and I’ve always enjoyed it. Recently, I was making up a compilation of very late night U2 songs and this CD has a romantic section. And I thought for the first time – how about Grace as a “love song”? The mood of Bono’s vocal delivery and the atmosphere of the music is quite sultry. Grace as a song where two lovers are slow dancing and let’s say he is reminiscing (verbally or internally) on how her love has “changed my world” and how she has “found beauty in my everything.” And he whispers in her ear: “Making love with love with you has been an experience of Grace.” This section of the CD has:
Your Blue Room
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Never Let Me Go
Grace

I’m curious to hear if anyone else has interpreted Grace as a “romantic song”? And for those who may not like Grace - maybe seeing it with different perspective and placing it in a different context of songs could change one’s opinion of it?

There is a cover of Grace by Nichole Nordeman on the U2 tribute CD – In The Name Of Love (Artists United For Africa). I haven’t heard it in a while but I remember it being good. I wonder how it Grace would sound by splicing parts from each version together and making a sort of duet between Bono and Nichole? Hey Jick – what do you think?

I believe that Falling At Your Feet (Bono, Larry, and Lanois) from the MDH Soundtrack is a beautiful song and quite complementary to the spiritual theme in Grace. Try listening to them together.

Last edited:
:):)I don't like the sound of this song. But I think these lyrics are beautiful!:);):) It is a Christian song, but "grace" could mean any beautiful person or thing you hold dear in life!;):wink: :wink:

Last edited:
It's a good song, not of their best IMO, but definetly a good close to the album. I like Edge's work on it, I skip over it sometimes when I listen to ATYCLB. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, but when Im in that mood, its a very strong track.

This song attempts to bring out the BEST in people - to help people to be the best and to see the best in themselves and others.

:yes:

Thus, for those who are not used to or uncomfortable in seeing the best in others and/or themselves, "Grace" can be a misunderstood/underappreciated song.

"Grace" is quintessential Bono - it is almost everything he could say and would want to say to us about who he is and maybe of who he wishes everyone else could be. ;)

"Grace" is a lyrical masterpiece floating on the melody of an angel.

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR A BEAUTIFUL REMINDER OF HOW WE ALL CAN BE....:bow: :wink:

It's one of my least favorite U2 songs overall...but there are occasions where I get in a certain mood that just calls for that song to be played on repeat.

Back
Top Bottom