song of the day 09/29: Walk on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
And love
Is not the easy thing
The only baggage
That you can bring
Not the easy thing
The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind

And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong

Walk on
Walk on
What you got, they can't steal it
No they can't even feel it

Walk on
Walk on
Stay safe tonight

You're packing a suitcase for a place
None of us has been
A place that has to be believed
To be seen

You could have flown away
A singing bird
In an open cage
Who will only fly
Only fly for freedom

Walk on
Walk on
What you got
You can't deny it
Can't sell it or buy it

Walk on
Walk on
You stay safe tonight

And I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
You can only take so much

Walk on
Walk on

Home
Hard to know what it is
If you never had one

Home
I can't say where it is
But I know I'm going

Home
That's where the hurt is

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
You can only take so much
Walk on

Leave it behind
You've got to leave it behind

All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break

All that you measure
All that you feel
All this you can leave behind

All that you reason
All that you care

It's only time
And I'll never fill up all I find

All that you sense
All that you scheme
All you dress up
And all that you see

All you create
All that you wreck
All that you hate

I don't really have an strong opinions about Walk On. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I do like that it was used to close on the Elevation tour. I though it was the best closing song since "40". Especially the hallelujahs at the end. :up:

The performance of this song at the 2002 Grammy awards - there is this sweet little guitar solo half way through the song that for some reason brings me chills and tears to my eyes (I am a dork :) - but I'm okay with it)
and talk about being relevant....

As far as studio recordings, I like the album version the best. I like the halleluja's at the end of the live version, but I don't like the "7" version even though it has the halleluja's because it cuts out the "Home" part and Edge's solo.

"Walk On" is one of U2's most important and prestigious songs ever written! :wink:

It talks about the struggle of one woman - Daw Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma - the 1991 Nobel Peace prize winner for her lifelong efforts to bring Peace and Justice to the people of Burma.

But, this song has meaning to ANYONE WHO HAS EVER EXPERIENCED TREMENDOUS ADVERSITY. It encourages those who have no hope not to give up, but to walkon to a brighter future. :yes:

It is an AFFIRMATION OF LIFE AND OF THE INDOMINABLE POWER OF ONE. We all have the power within ourselves to change the world and, in the process, change ourselves for the better.

Also, "Walk On" is a BEAUTIFUL song in its structure, melody and lyrics. It can only be sung with conviction - this is not a song for the wishy-washy. :up:

I LOVE "Walk On" - it is one of my all-time most favorite U2 songs.It will live on for many years to come as the heartfelt emotions and message it delivers will never go out of style.

Thanks for letting me go on about this MOST MAGNIFICENT song - and THANK YOU, BONO, FOR WRITING IT! :hug:

WHAT YOU GOT THEY CAN'T STEAL IT. NO, THEY CAN'T EVEN FEEL IT....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Jamila said:
"Walk On" is one of U2's most important and prestigious songs ever written! :wink:

It talks about the struggle of one woman - Daw Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma - the 1991 Nobel Peace prize winner for her lifelong efforts to bring Peace and Justice to the people of Burma.

But, this song has meaning to ANYONE WHO HAS EVER EXPERIENCED TREMENDOUS ADVERSITY. It encourages those who have no hope not to give up, but to walkon to a brighter future. :yes:

It is an AFFIRMATION OF LIFE AND OF THE INDOMINABLE POWER OF ONE. We all have the power within ourselves to change the world and, in the process, change ourselves for the better.

Also, "Walk On" is a BEAUTIFUL song in its structure, melody and lyrics. It can only be sung with conviction - this is not a song for the wishy-washy. :up:

I LOVE "Walk On" - it is one of my all-time most favorite U2 songs.It will live on for many years to come as the heartfelt emotions and message it delivers will never go out of style.

Thanks for letting me go on about this MOST MAGNIFICENT song - and THANK YOU, BONO, FOR WRITING IT! :hug:

WHAT YOU GOT THEY CAN'T STEAL IT. NO, THEY CAN'T EVEN FEEL IT....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

thank you for that background history on this song, much appreciated, you learn something new each day :)

isabelle_guns - :applaud:

Thanks for taking the time every day to post a song of U2's and letting us talk about it.

And it's good to mix the songs up too like you do - it keeps us from getting in a rut. :wink:

U2 has such a RICH REPETOIRE OF MUSIC AND MESSAGES in their songs that we could talk about their music for years without getting bored.

WHAT YOU GOT THEY CAN"T DENY IT . CAN'T SELL IT OR BUY IT....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Best. Song. Ever.

I remember seeing the boys play this in NYC after 9/11. Those shows at the Garden were amazing..."see that dust cloud disappear without a trace" and all. But that song in particular. It choked up alot of us. Six weeks earlier, we experienced a tremedous loss. We knew people directly affected by the attacks because WE were those people. I didn't lose anyone but I know people that did. To be able to say "It's hard, it's tough, it hurts but it will be ok"....I dunno. Alot of healing came out of those shows and that song. And the last night they did that song and brought out the cops, firefighters and EMS guys....amazing. It was so uplifting...so inspiring that we wouldn't let them leave. The band came out and did another song -- the band standing up there with these guys that were working at Ground Zero a few hours earlier. That sealed the deal. Walk On has been my favorite ever since.

It's interesting that this was today's song. My grandfather died 19 years ago today -- it was a good song choice today for him.

First song I got into upon buying the ATYCLB album. I played it so many times, the opening line from Bono just sucks you in. I think I overplayed it because it got old for me. Still a u2 track which I would be comfortable calling a "u2 classic" and I still listen to it.

I remember when ESPN had their annual SPORTSCENTER: YEAR IN REVIEW, they played the entire song to the top highlights of the year in sports. The lyrics fit so well.

Back
Top Bottom