song of the day 09/15: Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
1. read lyrics
2. llisten to song
3. post thoughts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High, higher than the sun
You shoot me from a gun
I need you to elevate me here

At corner of your lips
As the orbit of your hips
Eclipse
You elevate my soul

I've got no self control
Been living like a mole now
Going down, excavation
I and I in the sky
You make me feel like I can fly
So high
Elevation

A star
Lit up like a cigar
Strung out like a guitar
Maybe you can educate my mind

Explain all these controls
Can't sing but I've got soul
The goal is elevation

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

I and I in the sky
So high
Elevation

Love
Lift me up out of these blues
Won't you tell me something true
I believe in you

A mole
Digging in a hole
Digging up my soul now
Going down, excavation

Higher now
In the sky
So high
Elevation

Elevation
Elevation
Elevation
Elevation

great tune, was a great opener for the Elevation tour, coming out with the house lights on. What an idea! It's a rocker with a different kind of guitar than Edge usually plays, a lot of fans might bash the lyrics a lot ("mole in a hole" thing) but I dont understand why. Bono didnt set out to write "One" with this tune, they wanted to make a fun radio-friendly rock tune. Mission accomplished.

let me tell ya this story. When the song come up, I was in a kitchen with some friens and all of a sudden the song was played on the radio.

I can't cook, and I was doing horrible things trying to rush something... My friends keep on looking at me, shaking their heads.
So I started sing:

"Explain all these controls
Can't COOK but I've got soul
The goal is elevation"

They look at meand started laughing so hard... and they rekoned I was true!

The song's so full of energy and it's, as Babyman said, also a spiritual song, because Bono says it was like a mole, and so quite blind, and he was searching for something to lift him up!

I will say this.

The first time I heard ATYCLB after I bought it (not ever having listened to a u2 cd before) I loved BD obviously (the reason I bought it) and the only other song I liked was Elevation. The rest of the cd I decided was trash. I couldn't believe a band could put music that was so bad out there. :madspit:

Of course, after repeated listens to discover if I just was somehow missing the genius of these songs, I realized the music was truly genius and I became a convert.

Now, I still love Elevation and its unique rock sound.:yes:

marik said:
where can i find the anaylsis of this song. i remember reading it here months ago and loving it

try in the section 'zine - analysis or something like that.

Fun, energetic song ... but when you analyse it, it is sorely wanting.

It's my favorite song off Elevation and I though it was a great opening to the live shows. I like the single version the best, Edge's guitar kicks ass in that one. It is un up-lifting song that rarely falls to put me in a better mood.

And while I do love the song, I think the lyrics are so/so. Some are great, some are good, and some are just funny.

Clark W. Griswold said:
sorry to go against the grain, but I never cared for it and look forward to seeing a show without it being played.

Don;t worry about going against the grain, that is why I say "post your thoughts" :)

"Love, lift me up out of these blues. Won't you tell me something true - I believe in you."

For me, these are the key lyrics of "Elevation" - they speak directly to the desire to find a Higher Love, a more Truthful Love by Bono. :wink:

For me, so many of U2's lyrics are like the Psalms of David. They speak so eloquently of the struggle to find meaning in life and to REACH FOR ONENESS with The Only Love That Will Never Leave You. :hug:

The song itself rocks - the energy and the guitar-playing is magical. Overall, I love this song and will ALWAYS LOVE to see it played live.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Boy do I love this song. Easily one of my favorites. And I like the lyrics!!!!! Come on, U2 is always so poetic and serious, this is just a fun song. I like it.

Yeah, the influx mix is good. :up: It's actually my favorite mix of any song.

Quite a few people in this thread have said it...

THE GOAL IS FUN!!!

Heck with everything else - this is a great song to get speeding tickets for - just pure, unabashed fun!

}:)~

shart1780 said:
Boy do I love this song. Easily one of my favorites. And I like the lyrics!!!!! Come on, U2 is always so poetic and serious, this is just a fun song. I like it.

Yeah, I guess that was the spirit of this song!

And it's great to dance it!

I hate Elevation. Especially the studio version. It's like U2 self-parodied themselves. I only like the live version.
And I DESPISE the ooh's.

Jamila said:
"Love, lift me up out of these blues. Won't you tell me something true - I believe in you."

For me, these are the key lyrics of "Elevation" - they speak directly to the desire to find a Higher Love, a more Truthful Love by Bono. :wink:

For me, so many of U2's lyrics are like the Psalms of David. They speak so eloquently of the struggle to find meaning in life and to REACH FOR ONENESS with The Only Love That Will Never Leave You. :hug:

The song itself rocks - the energy and the guitar-playing is magical. Overall, I love this song and will ALWAYS LOVE to see it played live.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Would you believe I became a believer at an Elevation concert after forever being an atheist? Everything that I had been listening to by U2 since the 80's just smacked me in the face with a whole new meaning. Everything just made sense in one instant and I was crying from this estatic joy....The goal truly is soal and Bono laid out the path. :heart:

popsadie---tell me your story! I thought I was the only wierdo who starts out their spiritual bio saying "Well I have always been a big fan of U2 but when I went to thier Elevation concert...."!!! How exciting! Tell tell! :up:

Back
Top Bottom