song of the day 09/13:Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
1. read lyrics
2. listen to song
3. post thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, see you soon
Sail through your room
I'll meet you there

Hey, be my friend
Stay 'til the end
Don't walk away
Hey, hey, hey, hey...

Hey, take 'em off
Don't talk that way
Don't feel my lover say
Hey, hey, hey...

Chains move that thing
Chains we can see
My chains way too long
Chains in this
Chains move that thing
Chains we could see
Chains are way too long
And I hear my song
Hear my song

It's an hypnotic song...
So I can't think about anything at the moment.
It's curious,I heard this song yesterday... without knowing you were going to write about it!
I like things like that!:wink:

mmm....passengers, i got to back up larry mullen on this one. Never my cup of tea, man....I can appreciate the experimentation, but its never grown on me. I dont like when people call it a u2 album either, its an Eno album featuring u2.

I adore this song. It's so dark and creepy and Edge's voice is just so sad sounding. It is an under rated song in my opinion. And I love the guitar bit at the end.

RademR said:
mmm....passengers, i got to back up larry mullen on this one. Never my cup of tea, man....I can appreciate the experimentation, but its never grown on me. I dont like when people call it a u2 album either, its an Eno album featuring u2.

I was just about to say that I heard never heard this song, until I read RademR's post.

From that, you can probably tell what a lasting mark this song made on my life.

Only two songs off of Passengers ever caught my attention, and they are, of course, Miss Serejavo and Your Blue Room. Beyond that, even though I've owned the album since the day it came out, I'm not sure that I've ever listened to the entire thing.

Last edited:
Thank you for making me listen to this song. It re-ignited my forgotten love with the Passengers album. There are some songs on this album that I do consider U2 songs, and put them on some U2 compilations I have made. Slug, Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Miss Sarajevo and Corpse feel like U2 to me.

This song is so eary, so dark. It's great to listen to at night.... gives you a rush, kind of. I like Edge's voice, he should sing lead more often. In Seconds, you can't hear his voice from Bono's, and in Numb it's not singing at all. I'm an Edge fan, so this song really does me a lot of good.

I love the Passengers album! I really do!
Blue room and Slug and Miss Sarajevo...
Plus the sperimental things!
I also appreciate Holi's songs!

Anyone happen to know how many copies Passengers has sold? I reckon only hard core U2 nuts and Eno nuts probably bought it.

iacrobat said:
Anyone happen to know how many copies Passengers has sold? I reckon only hard core U2 nuts and Eno nuts probably bought it.

good queston, I wonder if it ever went platinum.

Ok, so after I read this post, I went back and listened to a few of the tracks off Passengers. Arrrghhh! I just cant get into it! "Corpse" isnt very intersting to me and the chain sounds throughout are so annoying. I can appreciate "Your Blue Room" and "Miss Sarajevo" and like them both, but I dont know.

iacrobat said:

Probably not many copies and possibly only purchased by Eno and U2 nuts as you say. However album sales are in my opinion completely unrelated to the quality of the music/art contained in them, as in the case of this album and of the regular U2 release Pop. The latter was probably U2's poorest seller and in my opinion it's one of their best efforts. Original Soundtracks (Passengers) is in my view a rare jewel but I'll admit it's not the sort of album most people might like.

ultraviolet7 said:

Probably not many copies and possibly only purchased by Eno and U2 nuts as you say. However album sales are in my opinion completely unrelated to the quality of the music/art contained in them, as in the case of this album and of the regular U2 release Pop. The latter was probably U2's poorest seller and in my opinion it's one of their best efforts. Original Soundtracks (Passengers) is in my view a rare jewel but I'll admit it's not the sort of album most people might like.

I agree, totally!

i actually prefer passengers to rattle and hum and absolutely adore some of the u2 classics on there.....a different kinda blue, beach sequence, slug, your blue room, the swan, plot 180, lets go native and of course corpse

Corpse is an amazing piece. Edge;s vocals provide a welcome change and gee its atmospheric...very different u2 material, but its great music for different kinds of moods....

ultraviolet7 said:

No, sales don't reflect quality. I onle meant that it would be interesting to know because it would give us a good idea of how many U2 nuts in fact there are!

Though I don't believe Pop is U2's worse showing, last I heard it was around 7 million. Not to bad.

Back
Top Bottom