song of the day 09/12: Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 01/12: Bad

1. read the lyrics
2. listen to the song
3. post your thoughts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

If I could throw this
Lifeless lifeline to the wind
Leave this heart of clay
See you walk, walk away
Into the night
And through the rain
Into the half-light
And through the flame

If I could through myself
Set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away
See you break, break away
Into the light
And to the day

To let it go
And so to fade away
To let it go
And so fade away

I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no

If you should ask then maybe they'd
Tell you what I would say
True colors fly in blue and black
Bruised silken sky and burning flag
Colors crash, collide in blood shot eyes

If I could, you know I would
If I could, I would
Let it go...

This desperation
Dislocation
Separation
Condemnation
Revelation
In temptation
Isolation
Desolation
Let it go

And so fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so to fade away

I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no

This song is too important for me to say too much about it here - I have an essay about the significance of "BAD" in U2 history and in the B-man's life currently in the works.:wink:

All I will say is this song is indeed U2's first masterpiece of song composition and emotional landscape. :yes:

It is Bono's transitional masterpiece - for himself and for U2 by extension - from the innocence of boyhood to the harsh realism of manhood. Through this journey, Bono would emerge triumphant, having chosen to reach for the Light instead of succumbing to the darkness all around him. :angel:

As with Kite, "Bad" is probably Bono's most personally written and 'held to his heart" song as the inner struggles which prompted the B-man to write this song/psalm are still present today.

This will always be my alltime favorite U2 song with "Kite" and "WOWY" right after it. :hug:

IF I COULD THROUGH MYSELF SET YOUR SPIRIT FREE, I'D LEAD YOUR HEART AWAY....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Song of the Day!?!? It's been my song everyday for almost 20 straight years now. (The 20th Anniversary of the Unforgettable Fire is soon upon us).

I intentionally shoveled snow off driveways in the winter of '84 so I could wear my cool sony walkman (in its first years of existance) with my brother's Unforgettable Fire cassette tape (see profile). I played Bad over and over. All night long. :yes: And I am STILL not sick of it.:yes:

One of the best songs U2 have ever made. I don't need to say any more.

A song that was built upon itself to encompass all that it was and all that it was meant to be all in one, fluid creation. A distillation of all Bono and U2 had become boiled down to a moment. A spiritual kiss in the form of two ringing notes. Could be the best thing they've ever done....other than 'Streets' and 'One'.

I remember the first time I heard this song...I thought, "This is an angel's song"/ I listened to it over and over and over again. Everytime I hear it I 'fade away' to that special place where the artist's and listener's soul seem to breifly connect. Love that song.

Excellent insights into this song and its significance in U2's repetoire. :yes:

I especially liked the ideas that this song is an "angels's song" which it is (I think this song made an angel out of a simple man) and the idea that "BAD" encapsulates the running away and the running to God. :angel:

Gregory McGuire has just posted an excellent article on the historical background of this song on the Interference homepage -check it out.

Nice to know that there so many of us who hold this song so close to our hearts.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING.... :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

this is the song that hooked me on the boys, and it's still my favourite song, ever. no words to describe what this song means to me.

Roland of Gilead said:
Song of the Day!?!? It's been my song everyday for almost 20 straight years now. (The 20th Anniversary of the Unforgettable Fire is soon upon us).

I intentionally shoveled snow off driveways in the winter of '84 so I could wear my cool sony walkman (in its first years of existance) with my brother's Unforgettable Fire cassette tape (see profile). I played Bad over and over. All night long. :yes: And I am STILL not sick of it.:yes:

:D It's been my fave for that long too!

Back
Top Bottom