song of the day 08/31: Miami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 08/31: Miami

1. listen to the song
2. read the lyrics.
3. post thoughts

------------------------------------------------------
Weather 'round here chopping and changing
Surgery in the air
Print shirts and southern accents
Cigars and big hair
We got the wheels, petrol is cheap
We only went there for a week
Got the sun got the sand
Got the batteries in the handycam...

Her eyes all swimming pool blue
Dumb bells on a diving board
Baby's always attracted to the things she's afraid of
Big girl with the sweet tooth
Watches the skinny girl in the photo shoot
Freshmen squeaky clean
She tastes of chlorine
Miami, my mammy

Love the movies...love to walk those movie sets
Get to shoot someone in the foot
Get to smoke some cigarettes
No big deal we know the score
Just back from the video store
Got the car and the car chase
What's he got inside the case
I want a close up of that face
Here comes the car chase

Miami, my mammy
Miami

I bought two new suits...Miami
Pink and blue...Miami
I took a picture of you...My mammy
Getting hot in a photo booth...Miami
I said you looked like a Madonna
You said...maybe...
Said I want to have your baby...baby
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
At least not in...Miami

You know some places are like your auntie
But there's no place like
Miami, my mammy
Miami, my mammy

Weather 'round here chopping and changing
Surgery in the air
Print shirts and southern accents
Cigars and big hair
We got the wheels, petrol is cheap
We only went there for a week
Got the sun got the sand
Got the batteries in the handycam...

Her eyes all swimming pool blue
Dumb bells on a diving board
Baby's always attracted to the things she's afraid of
Big girl with the sweet tooth
Watches the skinny girl in the photo shoot
Freshmen squeaky clean
She tastes of chlorine
Miami, my mammy

Love the movies...love to walk those movie sets
Get to shoot someone in the foot
Get to smoke some cigarettes
No big deal we know the score
Just back from the video store
Got the car and the car chase
What's he got inside the case
I want a close up of that face
Here comes the car chase

Miami, my mammy
Miami

I bought two new suits...Miami
Pink and blue...Miami
I took a picture of you...My mammy
Getting hot in a photo booth...Miami
I said you looked like a Madonna
You said...maybe...
Said I want to have your baby...baby
At least not in...Miami

You know some places are like your auntie
But there's no place like
Miami, my mammy
Miami, my mammy

this is definitely one of my favorite songs on Pop. and suprisingly, it worked very well live.

8/10

With the exception of some of the stuff on Passengers, "Miami" is quite possibly the only U2 song I can't stand. I was never sure why, because I love Pop (and I think Playboy Mansion is a great song) but something about it has always hit me the wrong way.

i love miami. i think it's a huge piece of creativity that doesn't fit anywhere in the pop/rock world and however yes, it's a pop song.

When they want, u2 are one of the best experimental/creative bands around. It's easy to feel that in Miami, Crashed Car, Lemon, Elvis Ate America... I would love an album only of that.

bedouin fire said:
i love miami. i think it's a huge piece of creativity that doesn't fit anywhere in the pop/rock world and however yes, it's a pop song.

When they want, u2 are one of the best experimental/creative bands around. It's easy to feel that in Miami, Crashed Car, Lemon, Elvis Ate America... I would love an album only of that.

so true. i think when u2's in that mode that gets me the most. hopefully those days arent long gone. electrical storm couldve been in that group you just mentioned bedouin, but something keeps it-can't put my finger on it.

at first listen miami is completely un-U2. it's attitude slaps you across your face and doesnt give a rats ass. grew on me quickly and very good live.

ylimeU2 said:
With the exception of some of the stuff on Passengers, "Miami" is quite possibly the only U2 song I can't stand. I was never sure why, because I love Pop (and I think Playboy Mansion is a great song) but something about it has always hit me the wrong way.

not a fan of the playboy mansion

One weird, whacky song. At first I hated it, but now I have come to appreciate the true sonic landscape that is Miami withing this song. Very artistic

Always enjoyed this song. Adam is A+ on this track. It is also a great great live song. U2 played this all the way till September of the Pop tour.

Well realized piece of music. I like it alot, but I gave up a long time ago trying to convince the non-believers of this tune. It's a bit abstract sounding, but the music does an excellent job at capturing the altered reality that was their impression of their week in Miami. I think the sonic ideas they had for the Pop album in general work really well here. Plus it has the best escapist moment on the album. The musical part right after the car chase lyric is pure Don Johnson circa Miami Vice cruising down the boulevard in a convertible with the locks flowing in the wind acting all cool. The song really surrenders itself to some trashy fun right here. 2 or 3 more doses of this kind of escapism and the album would've reached its lofty ambitions.

The one U2 song that I don't love. I actually don't like it at all. I feel guilty not liking it....somebody try to sway me into liking it....I just don't see the purpose of it, musically and especially lyrically.:huh:

Never did like this song on Pop. It kinda ruined for me a fantastic line-up of first seven songs on the album. But, the live version is excellent. It works amazingly with Bullet the blue Sky.

It's an awesome song, which obviously not everyone likes, especially if you like The Playboy Mansion. :wink:

I think it's exponentially more creative than any song U2 have made since that album came out. The song is sort of 'beat', in the sense of Ginsberg or one of those beat-writers, the entire first half is built on a loop, a very cool one, and is complimented by some very cool bass from Adam and ultimately in the end by Larry with a very cool fluid drum beat.

Edge's jagged distorted riffs remind me more of Zoo Station in nature than they do of the generic Elevation riff.
It's the type of song where U2 proves their brilliance, IMO.

And if you saw it live with Bullet, and still don't like it, I don't think you can be sold on it, honestly. It's not the type of song written for those who love catchy melodies, but it does have a pretty cool melody over the top of some cool sounds. That's what it's all about, right? Cool sounds and melodies? :)

Whatever I am trying to say...... I love the song, good enough?

one of my favourites of POP
mainly because lyrics, music and production are all in balance in this one

My least favourite U2 song. It reaches out for experimental but only comes off as half-baked IMO, and I don't really feel that Bono can pull off this sort of lyrics convincingly. It's like watching a great actor in a horribly miscast role.

Lyricall briiliant, awesome cruisin song, it aint no dsicotheque but its a cracking experimental piece

Deservingly the candidate for U2's worst song on many fans' list.

The music is odd, the lyrics are among Bono's all-time worst, and IMO Edge's lamest solo ever.

I love it, would almost be in my top 10 fav songs.
Edge is fantastic, especially when they played it live.
Vocal are very cool, I love the drums and guitar!!
Pity they had to relay on synth crap so much for live perfomances.

Back
Top Bottom