Song and year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dr_Macphisto said:
HMTMKMKM '95

More notably, WOWY '95 (as in I get into the song in 1995)

This is exactly my answer. Dr. MacPhisto and I are actually brothers (no joke, literal, biological brothers.) It was 4th of July weekend, I was 13 and Dr. MacPhisto was 9. We were at our Grandma's watching MTV videos A-Z, and U2 came on. Our Dad had Rattle and Hum, so we were aware they existed, and there seemed to be hype around the HMTMKMKM song and Batman soundtrack.

But when we saw the video for WOWY, that was it. I had my mom buy me the joshua tree, and neither of us have been the same since.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Electric Co. Round about '84 or so that I was introduced, but that was the track that did it for me. And it still does--- I'll stop whatever I'm doing if I hear that song!

Where are the Clowns? There're- already- here...(Krusty the Clown and Sideshow Mel)

Although I was extemely impressed with The Fly, the song that started this fierce addiciton would have to be One. It was November 1992 when my friend introduced me to Achtung. My dad had JT and I remember seeing ads for R&H when I was a kid but I didn't get into U2 until fall of 92. I thought 'One' was the most beautiful song that I had ever heard outside of the Beatles pantheon. It is still one of my top five songs--not just U2.

Now, as far as songs from each album that have re-hooked me: Stay, Staring, Walk On and I'd have to say COBL (but SYCMIOYO is close).

Last edited:
My older brother bought me Rattle & Hum for my birthday in 2000, and I never got around to watching it until mid-2001. I saw the performance of Where The Streets Have No Name at Sun Devil Stadium and I was hooked.

Zoo Station, 1992.
The opening song of the best album ever(and one of the first albums I've listened to...I was 5 years old)

sunday bloody sunday vid from red rocks--early MTV--it seemed like mtv had like 4 videoes--sunday, video killed the radio star,working for the weekend and unchained by Van Halen--but I just loved the video and I bought the live at red rocks album and the rest is history----

this is going to sound odd but:

Still haven't found what I'm looking for AND Tryin' to throw your arms around the world

I was in the backseat of my buddy's car as we all drove to somewhere listening to his mixtape. Those two songs played and I was like "Who are those last two bands" LOL, he told me and I was hooked. that was circa 1993-ish.

With or Without You, 1989. Friday Night Videos also.

It was their end-of-the-decade special. They were showing the best videos for each year in the 80s. The winner for 1987 was WOWY. I saw the video in a dark room late at night and I was hooked.

Streets, 2002 Superbowl performance, though the only reason watched it because I had liked Beautiful Day and Discotheque when they were on the radio. Streets just opened my eyes. I couldn't get that intro/outro out of my head....

"Discotheque;" 1996

Man...I feel like the odd man out, up in here. I don't think ANYBODY else has named this song as "the one." Either way, I'll stand by it and its GLORIOUS "BOOM-CHAs" until the day I die. One of my favorite music videos of all time, as well.

Edge's little dance, Bono's approving nod, and The Village People...my god, it was brilliant!!!

In 1990 I was 11 or 12 and I was aware of U2 because my older brother had cassettes of War, Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree. I remember listening to War and liking the album, particularly Seconds, but they were just one of many bands at that time for me. I liked REM and Guns and Roses too. I remember hearing Pride on the radio and thought it was great. I didn't have any tapes of my own and I used to scrub off my brother. One day I made a mixed tape of some of the stuff I liked off his albums. The tape included Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and ISHFWILF. I found myself playing Pride over and over and over and over again. Then the same happened for SBS and then ISHFWILF. So I guess I was hooked in 1991 on Pride.

AB came out a few months later and I recorded MW off the radio and thought the "on your knees boy" part was so cool. I still hadn't bought an album yet because I didn't have any money back then. I had a bike though that was taking up too much space in our apartment. And my dad kept telling me to sell it cause I didn't really ride it much anymore. So I sold it and bought the Joshua Tree from Bradlees. Bradlees is a Kmart like dept store that no longer exists. And then a few months later I bought AB. I don't remember how I got the cash for that. But that's where my collection began. Since then U2 has been one of the constants in my life through High School and College and all of the emotional and intellectual changes that came with those years.

Sorry for the long winded response but that's pretty much when it happened, how it happened and which song.

BAD in 1984. Just an incredible "haunting" groove that builds and builds and builds.

I was 16 then, listening to Iron Maiden, ACDC, Def Leppard, but then came U2. Although I still like the Stones, The Who, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Dylan, Hendrix, etc, U2 is still in a league of their own.

Back
Top Bottom