"Sometimes You Can't..." is one of the best songs that U2's ever written.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's lyrics don't normally do anything for me but on this song they really grabbed me.

great melody, great chorus and great lyrics. all you could want from a song really.

:ohmy:

Wow! Just finnished watching the video for the first time...and it really blew me away! I love the start, where Bono's handwriting comes up and the music is overdubbed by his 'live' singing. Amazing stuff...thanks again for that namcuR!!!

i think its one of their best videos ever...classic stuff. gets better every time i watch it.

rjhbonovox said:
Not even in the top 50.

Wooow... I admire your calculation... Tell me, what is U2's 124th song in order?
I really would like to know... Since you're such a big expert you can enlighten me.

djerdap said:

Wooow... I admire your calculation... Tell me, what is U2's 124th song in order?
I really would like to know... Since you're such a big expert you can enlighten me.

Crap answer. And i bet you thought it was brilliant...

Oh boy, you gotta learn a thing or 2 about sarcasm...

U2_Guy said:

Crap answer. And i bet you thought it was brilliant...

Oh boy, you gotta learn a thing or 2 about sarcasm...

Wow here's a surprise, U2Guy bringing the negative touch to a postive thread once more.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Wow here's a surprise, U2Guy bringing the negative touch to a postive thread once more.

Tell me about it. By the way, where is the ignore button on this forum? I've luckily never had to use it, but I think it's time to test it out.

djerdap said:

My opinion amigo.............what the fuc# are u on about anyway. There is probably only a couple of songs off the past 2 albums that qualify in the top 20 U2 songs of all time. Them being Kite and Love and Peace Or Else.

corner said:

Wow :ohmy: I thought I was the only one that really digged that song! It gives me goosebumps EVERY time it builds up from:

"of deserts dry, of cool green valleys
Gold and silver veins - shining cities" :drool:

Fancy starting an Acrobatesque style petition for this peach of a tune, Aadvark747? :p

Heartland is the best track off of Rattle and Hum, no doubt. Beautiful...especially because I do live in the heartland. It's definatley one of U2's best ballads.

As for Sometimes - a U2 classic indeed. For me I don't think any song could ever beat One, but I think in some ways it rivals With or Without You, just because it's more openly personal. Both songs have beautiful buildups... when Sometimes really kicks in it's heaven...and live, man. Every note Bono sings drips with emotion. Talk about Bono's failing voice all you want, but I'd hardly say Bono's voice is failing with a song like Sometimes. Those falsettos...that SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING...man. Whenever I see U2 do that song live I get goosebumps, because Bono is so passionate, and he hits every note perfectly even as he's visibly slightly choking up...beautiful.

I predict it will be a hit single of 2005. Playing it at the Grammys was a smart way to introduce it to the States - Sometimes is sooooo good live and millions of people got to see that. Plus, people love ballads, and though the song is very personal, the lyric "sometimes you can't make it on your own" can apply to anyone's life, and the other lyrics can be interpreted in various ways. And, of course, a falsetto chorus is always a plus, because people just love horribly mangling falsettos :p

don't get me wrong, SYCMIOYO is a good song, but for me its the one on the Bomb i sometimes skip.
SICLTTS (sometimes i can't liste to the song) ;-)

Sleep Over Jack said:

Glad to see that my blind devotees and fans are still enjoying my posts, even now that i post less and less in this forum lately.

Lancemc said:

Tell me about it. By the way, where is the ignore button on this forum? I've luckily never had to use it, but I think it's time to test it out.

Be my guest, prego.

it's a good song, but I got tired of it. I think it's way overrated. It became a single this week, but it won't be a radio hit here in the States.
The Grammy performance also sucked. Why the fuck did Bono give a speech at the beginning of the speech and he even flubbed it. His voice throughout the song was horrible. Then the ending was really awkward. Nobody knew the song was over and Bono was like, "okay it's over" or something to that effect.

RademR said:
sometimes has moved up my HTDAAB ranking to compete with "Miracle Drug" as my favorite song. It is perfect for me, Bono at his most emotional.

Same here, and I didn't think anything was going to touch Miracle Drug as my favorite for awhile. I think everything about the song is amazing (lyrics, melody, emotion) and every live performance I've seen so far has been great. Lovely video too.

To tell the truth it's a little much for me though, I think it's a little too good sometimes. ;) I heard it for the first time on the night of my father's funeral and maybe it would have been better if I'd heard it at a different time. There are many things in the song that hit very close to home and make me think of my father. I don't know, it's weird, as much as I love it I kind of hate it at times too. It's uncomfortable... :shrug:

The only song that is more emotional to me is the version of One from Popmart Mexico City, where Bono's voice cracks as he pours out his guilt and sorrow over the death of Michael Hutchence. But some of the performances of this so far come close.

it was my favorite song of htdaab when i first listened, now its becoming one of my favorite u2 songs in general

the video, the pictures of their dads for the single, the live performances, everything about it is great :up:

I love Sometimes... it's a beautiful song. It reminded me of my own dad's death and now, with my sister's illness, it's even more poignant to me - I howl like a hungry prairie dog everytime I hear it. :sad: I'll get almost all the way through and manage to keep myself togwether, but as soon as I hear "don't leave me here alone", that's it - floods.

The song says so much that is hard to say.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

One issue I have with it, though, is that it is reminiscent of Mike & the Mechanics' "In the Living Years". The words and melody are vastly different - so it's not like U2 "copied" them. However, the themes are the same. That song came out many years ago (in the 80's) and every time I hear "Sometimes..." I can't help but think of it. The themes of not getting to know one's father, the theme of it being "too late", the theme of seeing one's father in other people, etc. are all there. So it's with that in mind that I haven't been able to enjoy this song quite as much as others.

Yes - I know where you're coming from, I feel the same way. But then again, I guess that most songs with this theme will get to us, as it's a highly emotional subject, and the songs are bound to overlap to a degree in our eyes. Or ears, rather.

Best song since 'One'.

My only complaint is that the listener is assaulted with the song's meaning: it's SO direct. To me, that's not where the song's power comes from, it's from the music. I prefer when Bono doesn't tell you what a song means, and leaves it open to multiple interpretations. His writing style has changed dramatically, in that way, over the last two albums.

LyricalDrug said:
Best song since 'One'.

My only complaint is that the listener is assaulted with the song's meaning: it's SO direct. To me, that's not where the song's power comes from, it's from the music. I prefer when Bono doesn't tell you what a song means, and leaves it open to multiple interpretations. His writing style has changed dramatically, in that way, over the last two albums.

I thought that was deliberate. I believe that the song is meant to be raw, full of pain, confrontational... echoing the harsh reality of the death of a loved one.

Back
Top Bottom