"Sometimes....." video will premiere on Muchmusic, March 17th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes they said it would be today but of course they lied.

But it will certainly be tomorrow.

VH1 had to play it due to ABOY's less then positive response in the US.

ABOY on the other hand has been performing quite admirably here in Canada.

The Sometimes single comes out next Tuesday in Canada for anybody that cares.

I've yet to see it. But then again I hate MTV and refuse to watch it.

I guess it makes sense.

So I just got in bed and popped on VH1, sure enough 'Sometimes' was on.

It's powerful. I love it.

October 29 (Dallas) can't come soon enough.

ABOY accomplished it's mission

hasn't ABOY done well in the U.S.?

bonosleftone said:

Actually, ABOY did OK in the U.S., as evidenced by the airplay charts. It was not a single for sale, so the BB chart numbers are skewed. As for the video, it made it up to #9 on VH-1's countdown after 10 weeks in rotation...it only disappeared a week ago when Sometimes got released, as VH-1 likes AC more than Rock, anyway. Also, ABOY was up to #12 on MTV's Top 20 until this week after 11 weeks of airplay. I suspect it has disappeared to make room for Sometimes.

Now, ABOY is up to #9 on Much Music's Top 20, similar to how it did on VH-1 and MTV. After Sometimes debuts, I expect it to drop. Regardless, it was not a flop. This is a post from about 2 weeks ago, but it still applies.

ABOY spent 11 weeks on the Modern Rock Chart, where it peaked at #6. It has spent 11 weeks on Mainstream Rock Tracks where it is currently still #27. ABOY was never released as a single for sale on CD, which is what U2 does in Europe to get press for hitting #1 before the song disappears. Even Vertigo was only available for download in the U.S., which was not counted on the U.S. charts. Now that this is counted, Vertigo is well past Platinum (200,000 downloads) and was the most downloaded song in 2004. Today, 6 months after it's released, Vertigo is still #63 on the Hot 100 Airplay Chart in the U.S.

As for the other two songs released off of HTDAAB, Vertigo is at #23 on the Adult Rock Top 40 while SYCMIOYO is at #24. Sometimes just debuted at #39 on Modern Rock charts.

Now this is all from Billboard, which combines sales and airplay to come up with positions. The airplay charts show U2 much higher, and the Triple A format currently has Sometimes at #6 after 3 weeks, ABOY at #15 after 13 weeks, and Vertigo as the #4 "most played recurrent" after 25 weeks! ABOY peaked at #2 on the American Rock Radio for 3 consecutive weeks, missing #1 (Green Day) by a scant 13 radio plays for #1.

ABOY also did what no other U2 song has done in a long time. It cracked the MTV charts with an MTV jammed sponsored video. It even made the TRL countdown 3 times, which is unheard of these days for U2. ABOY accomplished it's mission: it filled the gap between Vertigo and Sometimes in the U.S., and the video play got to the MTV generation, which is the hardest demographic for U2 to crack. It also continued the "rockin album impression" that Bono gave of HTDAAB...so with Vertigo and ABOY, I think U2 has captured all the sales from the Rock crowd they can get (unless we get L&POE as a single). Now the band switches gears completely with the Sometimes ballad. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Caught this on atu2blog

Tune into VH-1 to see the video for SYCMIOYO
During the week of March 7, the video for Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own premiered on VH-1 in the US. Since then, the video has de-throned Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams as the most played video on VH-1, and continues to air almost hourly between the hours of 6:00-10:00 a.m., EST.

Even MTV picked up Sometimes...

MTV and MTV2, which both abruptly dropped ABOY from their playlists (and Top 20 charts!) last week, premiered Sometimes earlier today, and it's now listed on both channel's playlist. Either they are getting behind the song to help promote U2, or the song's success lead them to change gears and start showing the video.

Back
Top Bottom