Something weird about ABOY live...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
Anyone notice when Bono says "I'm not broke but you could see the cracks" he seeems to almost forget his line between "not" and "broke"?

This has happened both in the BBC sessions and the Brooklyn Bridge concert...just thought it was odd...

U2_Muse said:
Hmm, not really that odd when you consider Bono's penchant for forgetting lyrics and making up new ones on the spot. :wink:

What I don't like about ABOY live from what i've seen and heard so far is that that there are 3 guitar parts to it, 2 of which are taped.

Seems to me like the % of U2 live which is taped/played-under-the-stage will continue to increase with the new songs. More memorex, less live.

I thought that at the Brooklyn thing he was just trying to sound like a broken record, you know with the whole studdering thing when he said broke. I know I am weird....I thought he did it on purpose. I do believe that U2 are using all this airplay and concerts as a rehearsal or practice. It would be hard to remember all the words, and know the different notes to play in such a short period of time.

devalera1 said:
He totally did it on purpose - he said it was "a love song to the Who" - the stuttering was a direct reference to "My Generation"

Bono is smart that smart i don't know but hey possible.

devalera1 said:
He totally did it on purpose - he said it was "a love song to the Who" - the stuttering was a direct reference to "My Generation"

Thanks for clearing this up...i thought it wasnt by accident

cardosino said:
What I don't like about ABOY live from what i've seen and heard so far is that that there are 3 guitar parts to it, 2 of which are taped.

Three? I've only heard what sounds like two, and I'd love to know if it really is taped guitar or skillful playing by Edge. They've taped distortion before (UTEOTW, Gone) but I can't think of any instances of actual guitar being faked.

Axver said:

Three? I've only heard what sounds like two, and I'd love to know if it really is taped guitar or skillful playing by Edge. They've taped distortion before (UTEOTW, Gone) but I can't think of any instances of actual guitar being faked.

It's clearly, absolutely, 100% two guitars during the live performance. The taped portion is the melody line, the distorted sustain guitar (same one used in Gone) and incidentally, that same Gone intro is taped and used during live performances.

It's not a big deal to me, the guitar is Edge playing, and it's only used in support. Edge plays the rhythm throughout and plays the solo live. The only taped parts are about 4 notes and it's just for support.

The adverse is not having that melodic guitar in the live performance which would TOTALLY detract from the song.

Any "purists" need to have abandoned U2 a long time ago because they have used taped backing for decades. It's only support. They are trying to perform the songs the way they intended the songs to sound. Maybe if Bono would pick up a guitar once in a while, they could do more. But we all know how that goes.

U2DMfan said:

It's clearly, absolutely, 100% two guitars during the live performance. The taped portion is the melody line, the distorted sustain guitar (same one used in Gone) and incidentally, that same Gone intro is taped and used during live performances.

It's 3 guitar tracks, absolutely, 100%- there's an acoustic in there also, playing rhythm.

U2DMfan said:

Any "purists" need to have abandoned U2 a long time ago because they have used taped backing for decades. It's only support. They are trying to perform the songs the way they intended the songs to sound. Maybe if Bono would pick up a guitar once in a while, they could do more. But we all know how that goes.

Alternatively, they could pull an REM/Sprinsteen/Stones and add musicians,. I'm not a purist or I wouldn't still be here after 23 years, but I'm just slightly disappointerd as it seems like they are relying MORE on tapes with every album

this is fricken obvious... throughout the entire recording of the album we always knew at least one of the songs bono thought sounded just like the who... now he's stated before going into all because of you that it's "a love song to the who." the "i'm not b-b-b-broke" part is such an obvious play off MY Generation that frankly I'm surprised we're even discussing this.

as for the number of guitarists playing... at the Brooklyn Bridge show there was only one person playing guitar durring all because of you... The Edge. there was no one behind the stage... backstage was clearly visable. and you could see dallas schoo standing in the guitar tech's tent... clearly not playing. so if there is a second guitar playing... which i'll have to go back and listen to it again... it's on tape, not live.

One of the best examples of U2 using "tapes" was BAD from Live Aid...and it was fantastic and totally added to the song. I have no problem with them using "tapes" when the need arises.

Tapes for sound effects (like the intro to Bad) or even the sireny guitar on "Gone" are fine. But whole guitar rhythm tracks throughout the song i would find problematic, especially when Bono's on SNL affirming 'LIVE, LIVE, LIVE, LIVE.' I don't know how they did ABOY on SNL, since it got cut off, and i haven't listened to the MTVJammed stuff, but, yeah, there are at least three guitars on the Album version and to even get close to it live, i'd prefer if Bono played electric rhythm...at least for the parts where the Edge is soloing or doing his soloist noodling.

Live U2 songs where extra guitars are added:

BULLET THE BLUE SKY (the chiming guitar on the chorus whilst Edge does his funky bit)

ONE (besides Edge and Bono there is another guitar playing the bluesy notes pretty much all the way through)

ELEVATION (a 12-string acoustic guitar playing the counter melody on the bridge as on the album)

That's just off the top of my head.

They've even started using taped backing vocals live: Kite and Beautiful Day use two backing vocals and Edge only has one voice...!

I'm not saying they don't or shouldn't ever use tapes (the backing vocal tapes on BD were especially noticeable on their SNL, Grammy and other appearances during ATYCLB), but where they feasible can, they should try to stick to live.

ABOY can feasibly be played without adding the taped rhythm tracks (i guess, this is dependent upon Bono learning the very easy chord progression and playing it while singing...he can play guitar on some songs, while he sings...though, admittedly, you're always waiting for him to strum the guitar at least a couple times while he's actually vocalizing...)

Maybe Adam can play rhythm guitar, and Bono the bass?!

Plus, how cool would it be to see Bono rocking out on guitar (as he seems to be doing, kind of, at the end of Gone on Live From Boston dvd)?

Last edited:
I liked the guitar tweaks Bono was doing at the very very end of Sometimes on the HTDAAB dvd (i think it was Sometimes)...when he and Edge are sitting down and singing together. Bono's part was quite melodic. Oh there's a guitar player wannabe in there somewhere...

Judah said:
I'm not saying they don't or shouldn't ever use tapes (the backing vocal tapes on BD were especially noticeable on their SNL, Grammy and other appearances during ATYCLB), but where they feasible can, they should try to stick to live.

ABOY can feasibly be played without adding the taped rhythm tracks (i guess, this is dependent upon Bono learning the very easy chord progression and playing it while singing...he can play guitar on some songs, while he sings...though, admittedly, you're always waiting for him to strum the guitar at least a couple times while he's actually vocalizing...)

Maybe Adam can play rhythm guitar, and Bono the bass?!

Plus, how cool would it be to see Bono rocking out on guitar (as he seems to be doing, kind of, at the end of Gone on Live From Boston dvd)?

i totally agree with this. if bono can play guitar on other songs, why not ABOY? can't they come up with some arrangement he can play?

Or we could just clone 5 Edges and put them on the stage...U2 have been using tape backing for years and they need to continue to do so because the songs are a lot more complex and would sound very empty if they didnt have the extras in it.

I don't think "U2 need backing tapes" is an excuse. It was their stupid idea to make songs they couldn't play live.

let's face it: the reason the backing tracks of guitar are on there is because Bono sucks playing the guitar. if he didn't, he could do it.
now, maybe all his attention is being given to the vocals (which is the way it should be), because he's been sounding great lately.
but regardless, his "guitar playing" has been a joke for years now, because you can't even hear it when he plays (1 exception: the outro to "Kite" live.) but even then so what? a 10 year old knows an E to an A chord.

who cares? I say bring on all the tapes they want as long as the 4 of them are still doing what they do best: Bono singing, Edge playing guitar, Adam groovin an bass, and Larry looking pissed off playing drums.

I would rather have U2 use backing tapes if they need too instead of having additional musicians on the stage also - like the Eagles from 1994 on. Non-band members on stage performing just takes away from the core dynamic

Axver said:

Boston DVD, Walk On, the high guitar riff is a backing track with Bono pretending to play it.

Talk about getting ahead of yourselves... We heard them on SNL and a truck! Not exactly a lot of space or room for "error" or Bono to fool around with a guitar. I think on the actual tour we'll see Bono strap on the guitar a lot more. Whether he does this in ABoY or not, clearly I don't know - U2 might find it better to have Bono going "wild" during the song rather than standing still playing guitar. Keep in mind a concert is a "performance". The goal is to see U2 perform, not reproduce the album or be as "pure" as possible. Trust me, there will be plenty of live material - but tapes are needed and have been for nearly 20 years in U2's music.

TC2290 said:

Boston DVD, Walk On, the high guitar riff is a backing track with Bono pretending to play it.

Hmm...I need to watch that again. I just did the other day, too, and I thought Bono was playing a clearly superfluous rhythm part, like every other time he plays. I don't remember him playing a high riff.

Back
Top Bottom