Something that's good and bad about Vertigo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It's not nearly as enjoyable if you don't have some high quality speakers and you play it LOUD. When you do it's super duper awesome, when you don't it's just super awesome :(

I know what you mean! I played it through my crappy computer speakers first and thought it was awesome. Then I played it through my discman...and was floored. If you have crappy speakers, you just can't fully appreciate Adam's work. Or that cool fuzzy effect on the chorus near the end.

The good: The song totally pisses over everything else on the radio right now. U2 are back!

The bad: The valencia recording I have is, I *hope* and PRAY is not representative of the final production. It just sounds god-awful. It's not the *music*, it's the way it looks to be engineered.

On my oscilliscope, nearly ALL the peaks have been cut off, an unforgiveable trend in music production these days called LOUDER IS BETTER production. It sacrafices dynamicsm and quality just to create a few more dB of sound. Because every record exec and band wants THEIR song to be the LOUDEST and to stand OUT the most!

My heart is breaking at the thought that the entire CD may be produced this way! I just hope it's the mp3 rip or something...

edit: to just say that perhaps it's just engineered this way on purpose to fit with the "theme" of the song?

or, it was a decision that only the radio-edit would be engineered this way because it's radio only and you're mixing the song to reach the maximum radio audience?

PLEASE, U2- FLOOD, WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF THIS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T RUIN YOUR ALBUM!!!

Last edited:
Don't worry elfyx. You won't be dissappointed. We are going to be blown away by the rest of the album. I can't wait to hear it on my system. As soon as I get it hooked back up. I took it down because of Ivan. What I'm hearing it on now, I can tell - already, I love it. Something else to look forward too.

I have my computer hooked up to my stereo.!!

The only downside is listening to crappy quality mp3s through my stereo speakers.

But thankfully I got a good mp3 of Vertigo.

I got the song this morning at work and didn't have my headphones with me so I had to play it through my computer speakers (which suck) at a very low level.

I thought it was pretty good, but when I got home I popped the CD into the stereo and CRANKED it...and it was like a whole new song.

I agree...VERTIGO sounds better the louder you play it.

shart1780 said:
It's not nearly as enjoyable if you don't have some high quality speakers and you play it LOUD. When you do it's super duper awesome, when you don't it's just super awesome :(

Very very true!! You need some top notch stereo equipment to get the full raw effect of the guitar riffing. When that happens you've got ripping punk/pop song.

people, it has nothing to do with the quality of your speakers / stereo. I know a better stereo system will sound better. But the valencia file that I have has been mangled to death.

Analyze the file in any sound program that has an oscilliscope and you will see what I mean. Nearly ALL the peaks have been literally chopped off just so that the dB could be pumped up more and the result is that the song, while musically fantastic, sounds like utter shit.

I CAN'T be the only one hearing this! I am listening on my good Seinnheiser headphones. I can hardly stand to listen to it anymore it sounds so bad.

shart1780 said:

This has to be one of the "cutest" posts I've read! LOL!

Well, I hope those who are just experiencing "super awesome" can soon upgrade to "super duper awesome". :wink:

I'm starting to favour a decent set of headphones over a decent set of speakers for really discovering new sounds on old albums. Like a breath of fresh air.

I am just loving it on crappy pc speakers and radio-style play, so super-duper awesome will be something to look forward to!

On very average car stereo speakers I got hubby to say I was right (how often does a spouse give that gift?!) ...it is a catchy one!

I'll have to try it on headphones now...

cheers...

Back
Top Bottom