Something most of you will hate: the Achtung Baby EP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:

Since when are we taking everything Bono says verbatim? 'Punk Rock From Venus'. 'Pop is going to be a dance album'. etc etc.

I am telling you, you are in the minority here.

I get this feeling Bono knows the meaning of his own lyrics.

Hyping up an album before it's released and explaining what your own songs mean are two vastly different things! And some of you have really turned excessively cynical towards Bono.

chickadee said:
I've read him saying it can be about both, so I suppose it depends which day of the week you get Bono on. ;)

Where?

I think yelling out "Jesus, this is Judas!" before performance after performance of UTEOTW pretty much proves my case.

Axver said:

I get this feeling Bono knows the meaning of his own lyrics.

Hyping up an album before it's released and explaining what your own songs mean are two vastly different things! And some of you have really turned excessively cynical towards Bono.

Axver, please take notice of the people(other than myself) saying that Bono has said that it can be about both.

Axver said:

Where?

I think yelling out "Jesus, this is Judas!" before performance after performance of UTEOTW pretty much proves my case.

Yes, I know he does that, but why does that mean there is no other interpretation? The concert stage, fair enough, if that's the initial meaning of the song it's hyped up and it's part of the performance and all. I accept that's what the lyrics are about, don't even get me wrong! But fitting into AB, the lyrics can (and in my opinion, do) mean something else as well.

chickadee said:

Yes, I know he does that, but why does that mean there is no other interpretation? The concert stage, fair enough, if that's the initial meaning of the song it's hyped up and it's part of the performance and all. I accept that's what the lyrics are about, don't even get me wrong! But fitting into AB, the lyrics can (and in my opinion, do) mean something else as well.

It's talking about spiking drinks and seduction and breaking hearts and innocent eyes and whatnot - how can there NOT be a second meaning!?

I've never seen any story in Achtung and I just can't hear it, unless it's a story about chaotic modern society. That's what I've always viewed Achtung as being, a social commentary.

Axver said:
I've never seen any story in Achtung and I just can't hear it, unless it's a story about chaotic modern society. That's what I've always viewed Achtung as being, a social commentary.

I don't agree with that all. I always have and always will view AB as the story of a man's painful breakup of a relationship told through rock music(possibly even probably based on Edge's real-life relationship). However, unlike you, I'm not going to tell you that your interpretation doesn't exist. If that's what you believe, believe it. But you're in the minority.

namkcuR said:

It's talking about spiking drinks and seduction and breaking hearts and innocent eyes and whatnot - how can there NOT be a second meaning!?

That's what I see in it, too. *nods* The lyrics are too amazing and nasty to only have one meaning - it would do them an injustice! :)

Minority? I've rarely seen this interpretation of Achtung Baby discussed.

Then again, I don't really go looking for Achtung discussion that often.

chickadee said:
Tis the beauty of AB that there are so many ways to listen to it! *worships AB and has its babies*

Careful... you're gonna have lots of achtung chickadees running around! ;)

Back
Top Bottom