Something Controversial? $20m U2 tour sponsorship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if they put on a groundbreaking, massive multimedia extravaganza along the lines of popmart & zootv, and keep the intel logo off the stage, all while keeping ticket prices from increasing... then i'm ok with it. not happy with it, but ok with it. the fact that they didn't take any money for the apple/vertigo ad makes me believe that this is the case... you don't sell out by doing commercials for free.

i mean heck... the rolling stones put on a tour sponsored by tommy friggin hillfiger, yet no one really gets on them for selling out. it's all in how it's done for me... if there are intel ads all over the stage, i'll be pissed... that said, i'll still be at every show i can get to, and i'll be there with bells on. how can i fault a band for taking corporate sponsorships when i'm a corporate sell out myself :shrug:

The richer U2 becomes, the less hungry they will be to churn out albums. Boy, October, War, Under A Blood Red Sky and The Unforgettable Fire were released successively in a 5-year period 1980-1984. It seems like U2's productivity level has steadily declined over the years as their income has increased. Now that U2 will make a killing off the iPOD and Intel deals, they will be so filthy rich they probably will make albums less frequent. But at the end of it all, I am happy for U2. At least they are successful in the business area of the band. U2 makes money, money makes U2 happy, and when U2 is happy I am happy. So it's all good in the end.

Cheers,

J

Flying FuManchu said:
To be honest, if U2 stopped touring regularly (i.e no more huge tours) and just released new albums on a regular basis... I would be happy.

Yeah, I'd like to see them kick a few albums out, then do a few odd shows or mini-tours. Actually, though, in support of no particular album, so they'd have the freedom to play whatever they liked.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Or the decline in touring may have something to do with the fact that they're middle-aged family men. :rolleyes:

nah... that makes too much sense. it's more obvious to me that a guy who spends all of his free time trying to make the world a better place is nothing more than a corporate sell out

[/sarcasm]

Back
Top Bottom