Someone must know the answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoo99

Acrobat
"Record of the year" is for a single song not the album therefore how can the SONG Vertigo beat the SONG American Idiot for best rock song and best rock performance but then the SONG American Idiot is nominated for Record of the Year but Vertigo is not. That makes no sense at all !!! someone please explain.
(not complaining they won of course !)

if thats the name of the awards they need to change them

song of the eyar and record of the year - record should refer to album rather than a single song IMO.

Yeah, it basically makes no sense. I figured it was a given that Green Day would win Rock Performance since it was the only one nominated for Record (overall performance).

I think it's a way to get another "big" award. You know how there are major Grammys and minor Grammys...thi makes for another "major" one.

Also, isn't "song" for the writers and "record" for the recording of the song? Makes more sense if you realize that a lot of performers don't write their own music/lyrics, they just perform the song. So I guess the "song" award is for the creative force behind the song, and the "record" award is for the singer/band who made it famous.

I know American Idiot is the name of the album as well but Record of the year is for Song performance, like in 2000 Beautiful day won best rock song and also won Record of the year. If Vertigo was good enough to beat American Idiot for best rock song how can it not be nominated for record of the year and American Idiot is ? That's why if you watch U2's reaction they are totally shocked when their name is called, also probably one of the reasons they took into consideration of not playing Vertigo because they thought it had no chance to win.

Record Of The Year
(Award to the Artist and to the Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s) and/or Mixer(s), if other than the artist.)

Song Of The Year
(A Songwriter(s) Award. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Best Rock Song
(A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock & Metal songs. For Song Eligibility Guidelines see Category #3. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Okay so I pulled this off the Grammy website but its still kinda shady, I mean come on I love Vertigo but if the definition of best rock song is a that its a songwriters award thats crazy.

Record Of The Year
(Award to the Artist and to the Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s) and/or Mixer(s), if other than the artist.)

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Best Rock Song
(A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock & Metal songs. For Song Eligibility Guidelines see Category #3. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Qualification dates run from October 1 of 2004 to September 30 2005, therefore I don't think Bomb qualifies for Album of the Year this year.

The Grammys are always wacko anyway. No one knows what the hell the voters are thinking half the time. Back in 2001, U2 won Best Song, Best Rock Performance Band or Duo, and Record of the Year just for Beautiful Day.

The following year ATYCLB won Best Rock Album, Elevation won Best Rock Performance Band or Duo, Stuck in a Moment won Best Pop Performance Band or Duo, Walk On won Record of the Year BUT O Brother Where Art Thou won Album of the Year.

Soooo, ATYCLB behind won 7 Grammys on the strength of four different songs. But O Brother won Album of the year.

Steely Dan won Album of the year the previous year.

Don't you remember when Jethro Tull won Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental beating Metallica at the time.

There are way more examples of awards after which people were like HUH?

Back
Top Bottom