Someday U2 will have a new album. Today is not that day. discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it's like they're waiting for the rapture.

Well, :doh:, I can't wait for the rapture. Could get rid of some certain people...

:corn:

Astronaut baby turned into this:

finishing-the-popcorn.jpg

are you surprised? i hope not.

Not really. But a rumor isn't a exclusive announcement. Btw, it isn't even a new rumor. They talked about a U2 show in Barcelona next year when these "6 x 6 shows" rumor was starting to make the rounds. I wonder what became of that story ... any info on it?

This is because Moby had the sad distinction of licensing EVERY song on the album to be used by companies for marketing purposes. His position in that regard is like the polar opposite of U2's.

Play (Moby album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes but he wasn't selling specifically from the get go. People came to him looking to license because the songs were good. And they wanted to use any song. Bodes well for the album. Now lets see if people came knocking looking to license SUC. Or other similar songs.

Lets not forget U2 does in fact like to license out their music. It's part of their business. They license out to Blackberry, Apple, movie studios, heck even RADIO for a royalty kickback.

Hmm... just listened to Vertigo again after ages and got all nostalgic for that time in late 2004/early 2005. I think I have a love hate relationship with Vertigo. :sigh: ;)

Listen to Elevation > Vertigo > Get on Your Boots all in a row.

By the end, it's like a 3rd generation VHS copy recorded off TV in EP mode.

WZLX in boston just said album early next year, tour shortly after.

FYI this is the station Carter Alan is a DJ for.

Yeah, that makes sense. Making a simple Pro/Con chart you can see Spring 2014 is best, I suppose. Adam's wedding, starting the tour in the summer, no real competition for #1 ect. Also, it fits with the tour rumors and such.

WZLX in boston just said album early next year, tour shortly after.

FYI this is the station Carter Alan is a DJ for.

wonder what their source is, but again, it's in line with everything we've heard the past 3-4 weeks, and that it's Carter Alan's station gives it a bit more teeth.

:shrug: I still don't see this argument after all these years... the songs really don't sound the same to me.

I can certain themes in the sound that are similar- buzzy guitar tone, super catchy hook, simple structure and a really repetitive chorus; they're basically ultra-pop songs with some guitar grit. The shameless simplicity makes them really accessible on a first listen. I think that Vertigo may be the best of the bunch in terms of being absolutely irresistible- it demands to be liked and it will be liked.

While the songs are not "the same" exactly, they were all intended to be really, really catchy radio hits. Maybe Boots missed the mark partly because of the more complicated lyrics. (Lord knows it's hard to argue that Elevation's lyrics are actually "better". Boots is just harder to listen to.) Maybe it missed because Bono's voice is heading downward rather than up on the chorus and it doesn't propel you with it.

My poor little heart just stopped for a second because I thought this thread title was the title of U2's new album.

Of course, a crappy one.
"Let uncertainty be the guiding light" is a lyric from 'Zooropa' (the song). That lyric can be applied to the current lack of certainty about this up coming album. I always loved that lyric; it lights up an otherwise hopeless world with one single line. And right now, I fear some so called U2 fans need to grab a hold of that faith that defines this band and actually believe in this band again.

It sickens me how some of us are saying that the last three albums have been crap, when they have had more success with just one of those albums (ATYCLB or Atomic Bomb, take your pick), then 99% of all other current bands have had over their entire careers!! I mean, really?! It's one thing if the music isn't your cup of tea, but honestly, after reading some of these hateful comments, there's no pleasing some "fans".

I can certain themes in the sound that are similar- buzzy guitar tone, super catchy hook, simple structure and a really repetitive chorus; they're basically ultra-pop songs with some guitar grit. The shameless simplicity makes them really accessible on a first listen. I think that Vertigo may be the best of the bunch in terms of being absolutely irresistible- it demands to be liked and it will be liked.

While the songs are not "the same" exactly, they were all intended to be really, really catchy radio hits. Maybe Boots missed the mark partly because of the more complicated lyrics. (Lord knows it's hard to argue that Elevation's lyrics are actually "better". Boots is just harder to listen to.) Maybe it missed because Bono's voice is heading downward rather than up on the chorus and it doesn't propel you with it.

I don't think that a catchy hook necessarily means they intended for it to be a "radio hit" in every case. Making a sound or melody that's fun to hear which people can sing along to on the CD or live? Perhaps, yeah. But most acts do that anyway. And if the band and the record company happens to think it can promote the album with it later on, then it just happens to work out like that.

One thing that has to come out of this discussion though is that guitars and hooks are not bad things. Sometimes I do wonder if people have a dislike for the middle three on NLOTH just because they're more guitar-centric than some of the other songs. That's not what was wrong with them. They were just very average songs in the end, which you really can't do much about unless you change the song dramatically. That seems to be the case with SUC, which was actually worked on for some time (contrary to the whole 'last-minute radio hit' rumor).

but honestly, after reading some of these hateful comments, there's no pleasing some "fans".

Welcome to interference, buddy. That's the way things roll around here :sexywink:

I don't think that a catchy hook necessarily means they intended for it to be a "radio hit" in every case. Making a sound or melody that's fun to hear which people can sing along to on the CD or live? Perhaps, yeah. But most acts do that anyway. And if the band and the record company happens to think it can promote the album with it later on, then it just happens to work out like that.

Do you not think that they expected to use those songs while in production? Maybe they didn't say, "we will now write our catchy radio hit" but in things I've read it seems like they develop a fairly clear idea of which singles will lead off before the album is wrapped.

One thing that has to come out of this discussion though is that guitars and hooks are not bad things. Sometimes I do wonder if people have a dislike for the middle three on NLOTH just because they're more guitar-centric than some of the other songs.

I haven't heard that criticism, though I have heard folks say that Edge's work on the last records was rote and safe, "dialing it in". But when they say that, they're saying that he needs to step up and start pushing the boundaries again, so I think it's frustrated love, not guitar hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom