Somebody explain to me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
...how Wild Honey and Elevation made ATYCLB while Stateless and The Ground Beneath her Feet, according to Edge, 'weren't going to make the album' and as such, were 'perfect' for a soundtrack...explain that to me. Because after listening to GBHF and Stateless(along with Falling At Your Feet and Never Let You Go) again tonight, it's really starting to rub me the wrong way(to put it nicely) that they just put pushed these songs aside to make way for Elevation(which I like, but come on) and Wild Honey(same). I just feel like that decision regarding track selection sends a clear message. And GBHF being track 12 on ATYCLB in some countries doesn't count.

So, somebody explain it to me.

I'd like to have that explained to me too, except replace Elevation with In A Little While. I see the place of a mindless but fun and energetic rock song like Elevation on ATYCLB, but I don't see why IALW or Wild Honey should've made it over the two you mention. TGBHF may just be one of U2's very best songs - but then again, look at all the great stuff that hasn't made albums, or in the case of songs like Wild Irish Rose, wasn't even released!

Elevation because I guess they decided they needed a rocker.

I adore Wild Honey, so I'm glad they put it on there.

GBHF, great song, but maybe they felt they didn't want to include it on the album because they didn't write the lyrics. U2 has never done a studio album where they did a cover or had someone else write lyrics.

Stateless is a beautiful song, but I'm not sure it would fit on the album.

I'm honestly not trying to stir...

But those songs (Elevation, Wild Honey & IALW) completely gelled with the whole concept driving the album. Stripping the music back to simple, poppy songs.

I think Stateless and The Ground Beneath Her Feet are far superior to Wild Honey and Elevation, but the latter two songs fit in better with the rest of the songs on ATYCLB as far as mood, theme, etc. Stateless and TGBHF would stick out like sore thumbs on ATYCLB, but they are a perfect fit for The Million Dollar Hotel.

Axver said:
or in the case of songs like Wild Irish Rose, wasn't even released!

That is tragedy. I was sure it would have ended up in the Complete U2.

I'm just hoping someday a box set comes out with Wild Irish Rose and Wanderer with Bono on vocals.

As I listen more and more to ATYCLB, I'm starting to see Wild Honey as the only boring and mediocre track of the bunch! I have warmed up to Stuck, Elevation, IALW and even Grace! :ohmy:
But Ground Beneath and Stateless are definitely better than all of the above, both musically and lyrically! What the hell were they thinking I don't know cos even the 'pleasing the masses' strategy doesn't really seem to apply here. :huh:

I've got a version of ATYCLB that has Ground Beneath Her Feet as the last track, and I've used this analogy before, but it's like swimming in the shallows for an hour, then whoooosh, off into the deep water right at the end. The song really, really stands out as something completely different and out of place. If you put it and Stateless in there in place of any other 2 songs, or just added them to the tracklist, it wouldn't work. They are a different mood and sound, and yes, different quality. It really stands out as a far superior track to anything else on ATYCLB and that's not healthy for poor little ATYCLB and not fair on a song like Ground Beneath Her Feet which deserves to be part of it's own story. The tragedy to me is that there isn't an album based around that mood and sound, not that a certain otherwise lightweight pop album doesn't include those very heavy and beautiful songs. Moles digging in holes and monkeys swinging from trees? It's barely the same band...

Axver said:
I'd like to have that explained to me too, except replace Elevation with In A Little While. I see the place of a mindless but fun and energetic rock song like Elevation on ATYCLB, but I don't see why IALW or Wild Honey should've made it over the two you mention. TGBHF may just be one of U2's very best songs - but then again, look at all the great stuff that hasn't made albums, or in the case of songs like Wild Irish Rose, wasn't even released!

From Rolling Stone January 2001.

"If there is one theme that suffuses the record (ATYCLB), it is a sense of mortality, of how and what you treasure in a world where death awaits. If U2 meant to write a straight-forward record full of uplifting songs, real life intervened. 'You know, the record we were trying to make was quite a bit more joyful and about a certain kind of love of life and vitality,' says the Edge. 'And that's in there, but there's also this other side, which sort of crept into the record without me noticing. And if the record was about breaking things back down to essentials, I suppose in the end mortality is the ultimate inescapable fact of life.'

Bassist Adam Clayton recalls how they listened back to the album's provisional running order and decided they needed to add 'Wild Honey,' one of the more simple, up songs from the recording sessions. 'We realized, This is our most joyful song,' he says, 'We've go to put that in to stop people from jumping out of the window.'"

___

Ye know, with a CD burner you could add those songs to ATYCLB, you can rearrange and make your own version.

I think U2 realise this, they still put out an album with a running order they like, but figure the fans can add and subtract as they see fit with CD burners, well at least Edge might realise this, being the 'techie' in the band.

And now with Ipods and similar devices, you can do that even easier.

Last edited:
The songs didn't fit on ATYCLB, even if i think TGBHF is a amazing closer, it doe's not fit. Maybe we could get a album of this song. Remembver U2 do things in 3's, Discotheque,Elevation and Vertigo and 3 stupid rock songs, so maybew the next album will lack one. By the way by stupid I don't mean shit, love all three.

I think Wild Honey is a great song...if you want to pick holes with the lyrics fine...but again not meant to be a great lyrical masterpiece..its a lovely wee pop song really to me...i love it and is one of my favourites off ATYCLB...

what ever happened to all those people at the beginning who thought Vertigo was such an AMAZING song? now it seems everyone dislikes vertigo so much. I happen to find vertigo one of the best songs they've done in a while. Such an amazing opener and such a rocker! I loved it when it came out and I still love it very much! As for TGBHF it was an amazing song but s stated here, the lyrics were not by U2 and i don't think U2 would put out a song in a studio album that was not written by them. I am glad they didn't put it one and stateless was a good song but would do good on ATYCLB. Both songs would stick out and would disrupt the mood/flow of the album. As for Elevation, that happens to be my favorite song of the album and another song that i don't get why people hate so much. as for IALW and wild honey, both are GREAT songs that fit the mood of the album quite nicely so I am very happy with their decision. Plus we still got to hear TGBHF and stateless anyways.. so whats the complaining about?

Palace_Hero said:
Wild Honey > Stateless
TGBHF > Elevation.

Dem's da breaks. And TGBHF does fit on Atty Club, I've made it in a fantastic alternative track list

Wild Honey better than Stateless? No. No no no. Stateless is amazing, creates a soundscape, takes you away. Wild Honey is U2 trying to be the Beatles.

dabiggestu2fan said:
As for TGBHF it was an amazing song but s stated here, the lyrics were not by U2 and i don't think U2 would put out a song in a studio album that was not written by them.

They wrote the music though, that's all that matters.

And I disagree with all who say these songs wouldn't fit in ATYCLB...Make Stuck the acoustic version, delete In A Little While, Wild Honey, and Peace On Earth and they would fit fine.

A ten-track UF-esque type record...

Walk On
Beautiful Day
Elevation(Influx)
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stuck In A Moment(Acoustic)
Kite
New York
When I Look At The World
Stateless
Grace

I really like Elevation, but not the album version which is boring compared to the tomb raider mix and the live perfomances.

I can't stand Stuck but ok, it has a good melody and a great ending. Wild Honey it's the only song on ATYCLB I'd take out, maybe as a B-side. Like namkcur said, WD it's U2 trying to make a light and cool song, sounding like Beatles, but they failed. And they already had In a little while that has the same feeling but it's much much better. (Axver :madspit: :wink: )

NYRangers78 said:
is stateless on an import cd or something? how can i get a hold of it? can someone email it to me so i can get a listen? thanks.....celtic78@optonline.net
I sent you a copy of mine, hope you like it!

Axver said:
I'd like to have that explained to me too, except replace Elevation with In A Little While. I see the place of a mindless but fun and energetic rock song like Elevation on ATYCLB, but I don't see why IALW or Wild Honey should've made it over the two you mention.

What's your problem with 'In a little while?'

Not only is it the best song off ATYCLB, but imo the best U2 song of the 2000's. How can you beat these lyrics,

'Man dreams one day to fly,
a man takes a rocket ship into the sky,
he lives on a star that's dyeing in the night,
and follows in the trail, the scatter of light.'

Your IALW hatred disgusts me :madspit:

Screw Stateless, where the hell is Levitate. Such a brilliant song, and far better than most on ATYCLB. It's such a pity it never made it onto the record - I wonder why...?

namkcuR said:

A ten-track UF-esque type record...

Walk On
Beautiful Day
Elevation(Influx)
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stuck In A Moment(Acoustic)
Kite
New York
When I Look At The World
Stateless
Grace

I hope that's not your proposed track order...Walk On opening the album? :laugh: I still don't understand why it was fourth track in...I mean come on... the song is called WALK ON...and it's a million times better than Grace :p

I agree with Earnie and others that Stateless and GBHF don't really fit on ATYCLB, though they're two of U2's best songs ever. I would love for U2 to make an album of songs like those. Though it's essentially only two songs (and Falling at Your Feet somewhat) that sound is one of my favourites that U2 has done. I wish they'd fully explore it.

I don't get the big deal about Levitate...the song just sounds unfinished to me, lyrically especially. The only standout line is "I want a love that's hard, hard as hate." Maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't really mind that it's not on an album :shrug:

AtomicBono said:

I hope that's not your proposed track order...Walk On opening the album? :laugh: I still don't understand why it was fourth track in...I mean come on... the song is called WALK ON...and it's a million times better than Grace :p

I agree with Earnie and others that Stateless and GBHF don't really fit on ATYCLB, though they're two of U2's best songs ever. I would love for U2 to make an album of songs like those. Though it's essentially only two songs (and Falling at Your Feet somewhat) that sound is one of my favourites that U2 has done. I wish they'd fully explore it.

I don't get the big deal about Levitate...the song just sounds unfinished to me, lyrically especially. The only standout line is "I want a love that's hard, hard as hate." Maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't really mind that it's not on an album :shrug:

I don't like Walk On as a closer. I like U2 records to end with a quiet, downbeat, melancholy song(Shadows, "40", MLK, Mothers, All I Want Is You, Love Is Blindness, Wake Up Dead Man, Grace). Walk On is the opposite of that. Same reason I don't like Yahweh as a closer.

And I like U2 records to end with good songs...

Their melancholy closers up until "Grace" were all great, but there's no reason they can't try something different. Some of the best closers in rock history have been upbeat (usually epics, like "Won't Get Fooled Again"; "Walk On" is a big giant anthem, so I think it works).

(Edit: And on the original topic, I agree that "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Stateless" are extrordinary tracks that would've made ATYCLB better. But still, I can see the wisdom of placing more upbeat tracks like "Elevation" and "Wild Honey" on the album; it gives it some balance by not being so gloomy all the time.

A lot of bands record excellent songs that go "wasted" on B-sides, soundtracks, etc., simply because they don't fit onto the album or there's already similar songs on it with the same vibe.)

Last edited:
jonnytakeawalk said:

What's your problem with 'In a little while?'

1. Bono's singing is utterly atrocious. I can't believe they put that on record. It sounds like there's a frog in his throat.
2. Besides the lyrics you quoted - which I DO like and is the one redeeming point of the song - the lyrics are utter shite.

If the song were an instrumental except for the rocketship verse, I'd like it.

typhoon said:
And I like U2 records to end with good songs...

Their melancholy closers up until "Grace" were all great, but there's no reason they can't try something different. Some of the best closers in rock history have been upbeat (usually epics, like "Won't Get Fooled Again"; "Walk On" is a big giant anthem, so I think it works).

But I think "Grace" is a good song. Chalk it up to a difference in opinion, but I think Grace is underrated and often maligned here at Interference. Not even close to "All I Want Is You" or "Love Is Blindness" or "Wake Up Dead Man" but good nontheless.

typhoon said:
(Edit: And on the original topic, I agree that "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Stateless" are extrordinary tracks that would've made ATYCLB better. But still, I can see the wisdom of placing more upbeat tracks like "Elevation" and "Wild Honey" on the album; it gives it some balance by not being so gloomy all the time.

A lot of bands record excellent songs that go "wasted" on B-sides, soundtracks, etc., simply because they don't fit onto the album or there's already similar songs on it with the same vibe.)

What songs on ATYCLB are 'similar with the same vibe' as Ground Beneath Her Feet or Stateless?

I adore both of those songs. Elevation is just such a fun song, it made the perfect opener for the Elevation shows. Wild Honey is one of the most beautiful pop songs U2 have ever written. It's just nice. Both songs are essential ATYCLB tracks.

Back
Top Bottom