Some very unhappy news about the Propaganda Code letters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ascender_RS said:
Well, after all my emailing of the last couple of weeks, guess what turned up today? Yip, my letter & card from Propaganda, in a hand-written envelope from EIRE.

So, what do I do now?!?!

WOW! That's great news! Now you have the luxury of a choice. Congratulations!

So... is this still an on-going issue?

I know I still haven't received my letter. I called, but I didn't have my Propaganda subscription on me at the time. The woman took my info. anyway - but said that Propaganda code would help. I then told her that I e-mailed several times and heard nothing back. She said that's good I e-mailed and that they are busy and working on it. Hmmm...

Anyway, while D. Smith's article is nice, if there are a lot of people in my shoes, I would be willing to push this further. That is, I'd like to gather names with Propaganda ID numbers and then start bugging the "powers that be" over this. Maybe if they realized just how many fans feel disenfranchised, they (meaning PM) would help more.

ascender_RS said:
Not sure if this helps, but I'm based in the UK and mine seemed to get sorted after I emailed the old Propaganda guys with my full address details.

info@numb.ie

I've emailed info@numb.ie many times, a friend even went physically to their office, where he was turned away. They refused to even hear him out stating that it's FanFires problem not theirs. MY issue is that ultimately it IS their problem given that it's glaringly obvious that they sent FanFire an incomplete database.

I thought of setting up an online petition which could then be sent over to both PM and FanFire.

DoctorWho, many of us don't have our Propaganda numbers anymore as they were on the envelope labels and many of us threw those out, including me. They should also be able to track us via mailing addresses as well. I"m willing to give you the info, or even help as much as I can. Feel free to PM me and let me know.

I just spoke with someone from FanFire after not getting a response to a call I made there last week and was told that letters are still being mailed out through this week. Fingers crossed that it works out for all of us.

I wonder if they found the missing portion of the Prop database or if they are just greasing the squeeky wheels...

Persistance pays off!!!!!

Here's what I got in my email this morning.

Dear Sherri,
Thank you for your recent inquire about your coupon code, Here is the propaganda coupon code to be used at the time of signing up. Since you were a member prior you will receive the subscription for $20.00 when the coupon is applied. Along with this membership you will receive.
(snip)
Best Wishes,
Chris
U2.com Customer Service

**so don't give up people!!!!! If you haven't gotten a code yet, KEEP WORKING ON IT!!!****

U2luv said:

**so don't give up people!!!!! If you haven't gotten a code yet, KEEP WORKING ON IT!!!****

Keep working on what?

It's not as if the rest of us haven't called a million times, e-mailed and kept being persistent. We're not sitting here twiddling our thumbs, for crying out loud.

U2luv said:

DoctorWho, many of us don't have our Propaganda numbers anymore as they were on the envelope labels and many of us threw those out, including me. They should also be able to track us via mailing addresses as well. I"m willing to give you the info, or even help as much as I can. Feel free to PM me and let me know.

I *finally* heard a response today, and it was the usual "we're sorry, but you're not in our records" nonsense.

I agree, they should be able to track us via our addresses, names, old addresses, etc. It appears that whomever was running Propaganda before was horribly inept. Keeping a database is ridiculously easy now.

Unfortunately, it seems the only way we can really prove we were members is by that ID. I kept the envelopes, so I have my ID (even though that still did me little good). Still, I see no other way for us to prove we were subscribers. We can try submitting names of people without their ID's, but having ID's sure helps a lot!

It's only $20 - so it's not really the money. What bothers me is that if they are this inept at keeping track of former Propaganda members, including people who've been subscribers for 9 years or more (I joined in Jan. 1995), then how can I possibly trust U2.com to honor my $40 membership? I am highly resistent to paying $40 for an annual fee to a website that, so far, appears to be equally inept.

Last edited:
I have my ID number courtesy of Terri Panaro, so I'm all set for some suin'. :wink:

U2luv said:
Persistance pays off!!!!!

Here's what I got in my email this morning.

Dear Sherri,
Thank you for your recent inquire about your coupon code, Here is the propaganda coupon code to be used at the time of signing up. Since you were a member prior you will receive the subscription for $20.00 when the coupon is applied. Along with this membership you will receive.
(snip)
Best Wishes,
Chris
U2.com Customer Service

Yay Sherri! :up:

I just sent an email to info@numb.ie yesterday. I'll have to call Fanfire again tonight. It appears that this is beginning to be resolved.

dsmith2904 said:
I just spoke with someone from FanFire after not getting a response to a call I made there last week and was told that letters are still being mailed out through this week. Fingers crossed that it works out for all of us.

I'm actually believing this happened now. Before, I was skeptical.

Well lucky me, got my Prop cod beginning of December.

So I sign up and get an invoice for 20 dollars. Yesterday, FanFire finally charges my CC for my Dec 3 sign up (I have a paid membership because I can access the whole site, etc.). So guess what they charge me? 40 Dollars!!!

Also, I never received the 25% merchandise coupon.

They suck is all I have to say. I called up and talked to someone and they said they would fix it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

anitram said:

Keep working on what?

It's not as if the rest of us haven't called a million times, e-mailed and kept being persistent. We're not sitting here twiddling our thumbs, for crying out loud.

I know that, that's exactly what I had been doing, constantly. I just posted that to let people know not to give up on the attempt. Believe me, I KNOW it's frustrating.
I'm not sure what it was that finally got through to them, all I know is that they finally sent me the code. MAYBE they do it finally for those who keep bugging them. If you get emails back from them, reply to THOSE demanding that you be sent your code or a full refund. Who knows, maybe that is what did it for me. Fact is, I have no idea what exactly did it. I had also called a different customer service number the last time I called, and actually got someone who was very willing to listen and was even asking me questions concerning how the Prop subscriptions ran (by issue, not year, etc) and he had even agreed that there seemed to be a large segment of subscribers missing. Maybe HE was able to convince someone, who knows.
The number I called last of all was 1-800-767-7160 Try that one.

Well, I took a break from this mess for the Holidays.

Tonight I wrote my response to the last unintelligible email I received from fanfire.

This time I also copied all of the people listed previously from signature networks and wrote it in simple english in the hopes that some literate person at this company might actually read and understand that MY SUBSCRIPTION HAS NOT LAPSED.

I actually derived great pleasure from pressing the send button.

At this point I doubt I'll even use the code if I get it, but I'm determined to get the sucker.

U2luv, I'm very impressed that you got results.

I was very surprised to see that email this morning.

I'm like that too, I'm like a bulldog who doesn't give up when I know I'm in the right. Good luck to everyone that still needs their codes. Keep replying to those emails and keep calling.

Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!

Finally got my code through e-mail today!! After at least 5 phone calls to Fanfire (1-800-615-1324) over the last 4 weeks. I had to give them my address and e-mail everytime and was told that I would receive an e-mail in 2-3 days (Ha!). They finally came through. Keep on trying if you haven't had any luck yet!

I subscribed as instructed and everything seemed to work OK because the subscription came up to be $20. Here's to hoping they have an infinitely better arrangement for getting tickets!!! We shall see...*crossing fingers*

BTW, I'm in Ohio, USA.

whitehead said:
I subscribed as instructed and everything seemed to work OK because the subscription came up to be $20.

My subscription said $20, too, but then they charged my credit card $40. So watch your statement carefully when they bill you. :ohmy:

I called fanfire today about my sister's membership... she never received her letter. The first time I had called they took down the info and said would mail a new letter out. Fine. We wait three weeks and nothing. So today the lovely woman told me some crap story about how the "u2 people" contacted them and told them to stop sending new letters out to people because they put in place some sort of cut off day and those that were meant to get the letters all ready got them. I (gently) informed her that my sister had joined in 2001, I had the id number in front of me and her original invoice and that her subscription had gone unfullfilled... but she said there is nothing she can do. What is wrong with these people!?

I called Fanfire's 1-800 number today and somehow got rerouted through their system to Yahoo 's DSL internet service (huh?!). So I hung up, tried back, pressed the same number for customer service again and got U2.com.

After giving Samantha my Prop code and my name, which I had to spell twice for her, she then asked me for my last name. The name I had been spelling was my last name. There is no way to confuse my last name with my first name :eyebrow: .

She looked me up on the system and said that my order had been cancelled, at which point, I informed her that it could NOT have been cancelled, as there is a double charge on my credit card for it!.

Samantha put me on hold and came back after about five minutes and informed that a mistake had been made (no way!) and proceeded to give me a new order number. She then told me that I would only be charged the $20 (plus applicable exchange). I asked her when I could expect this to occur and she said she thought a couple of days (which I highly doubt since it took almost 3 weeks for the initial charges to appear on my credit card).

Now I have to watch my statement to make sure that they don't charge me $20 more on top of what I've already paid. :crazy:

I cannot even begin to describe the contempt I feel for this incompetent company. I'd like to know who was responsible for signing the contract to do business with them. :mad:

Well I just checked my e-mail before leaving work and lo and behold, they've sent me a Prop code. Chris is the one who sent it to me.

However, I'm wondering whether it's worth $20 at all...

I am fuming, look what I just got...

As requested we referenced our list of current and active members for
verification of your status, but, unfortunately were unable to locate
any
information. As a result, at this time we are unable to provide you
with a
discount membership code. All Propaganda letters to current and active
members, whose subscriptions have not lapsed, have been mailed out.
Please
note that if your Propaganda membership had expired, you will not be
receiving a discount letter in the mail. We are sorry if your
subscription
has lapsed, but, encourage you to check out the new U2.com. For your
convenience these are your membership features you will receive once
you
join:
Guaranteed priority ticket booking for the 2005 tour
U2.com membership card in silver, red and black
An email account with an @U2.com email address
**Coming Soon** rare and archived video including clips from earlier
tours
Special downloads
On-the-road reports and diaries from the 2005 World Tour
Exclusive interviews with U2 band member including: audio and text
Zootopia Discussion area (Forum)
Digital content including: screen savers, on-line calendar, and other
great
tools
And on top of everything else you will receive 25% off on your first
purchase from the U2.com Shop.
You can check out all these benefits at www.U2.com/subscribe

Best wishes,
Chris
U2.Com Customer Service

And here is mine...

Dear Barbara,
As requested we referenced our list of current and active members for
verification of your status, but, unfortunately were unable to locate any
information. As a result, at this time we are unable to provide you with a
discount membership code. All Propaganda letters to current and active
members, whose subscriptions have not lapsed, have been mailed out. Please
note that if your Propaganda membership had expired, you will not be
receiving a discount letter in the mail. We are sorry if your subscription
has lapsed, but, encourage you to check out the new U2.com. For your
convenience these are your membership features you will receive once you
join:
Guaranteed priority ticket booking for the 2005 tour
U2.com membership card in silver, red and black
An email account with an @U2.com email address
**Coming Soon** rare and archived video including clips from earlier tours
Special downloads
On-the-road reports and diaries from the 2005 World Tour
Exclusive interviews with U2 band member including: audio and text
Zootopia Discussion area (Forum)
Digital content including: screen savers, on-line calendar, and other great
tools
And on top of everything else you will receive 25% off on your first
purchase from the U2.com Shop.
You can check out all these benefits at www.U2.com/subscribe

Best wishes,
Chris
U2.Com Customer Service

I just wrote Cecilia again and forwarded her that lovely form e-mail. I called FanFire first and was told there was nothing they could do because they were just using the information U2 had sent them.

I'd really like to know how it is possible for a subscription I got less than three years ago that was never properly fulfilled (I only got one issue of the magazine) to have lapsed.

dsmith2904 said:
I just wrote Cecilia again and forwarded her that lovely form e-mail. I called FanFire first and was told there was nothing they could do because they were just using the information U2 had sent them.

I'd really like to know how it is possible for a subscription I got less than three years ago that was never properly fulfilled (I only got one issue of the magazine) to have lapsed.

Yeah, I love that email. That's the one I got on or abouts the 15th. I wrote back (also copying the numb.ie) address and received another reply from fanfire which didn't address anything included in the email I had sent.

Last night I replied again, this time copying all of the executives listed previously in this thread from signature network. And the tone of my last email was a bit sarcastic.

I don't really think I'll get a code at this point, but I sure enjoyed sending off that email last night. In fact I enjoyed it so much I might not give up until I get some satisfaction.

I'm with you d. This is just ridiculous. I joined in 2001 and I got 2 or possibly 3 issues. I must have been on their list when they sent my magazines cuz I know they didn't send them to the entire population. What the hell happened??

Is Cecilia at info@numb.ie?

Back
Top Bottom