Some very unhappy news about the Propaganda Code letters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ramblin rose said:

What rush? We've known about this fanfire thing since at least the beginning of the year. They had months to plan, test, double check do everything possible so that the site, fanclub, and store was launched without a hitch.

:snip:

I don't want to blame U2 because I think as far as they're concerned they hired someone to do the job. The people they hired suck and should be fired. Who did fanfire think U2 was; KISS?

:snip:

For me it's not about the money, it's the principle, they (fanfire, propaganda or both) have intentionally ripped people off. And what's worse they know they will get away with it.

I wonder if PM will think differently if instead of there being fans shouting praise outside of the RNRHOF induction ceremony they find people holding picket signs? How funny would that be, seems like something Bono would do, no?

I fully agree with you. I've been a U2 fanatic for over 20 years. I don't like the feeling I have right now. I don't like feeling like I've been taken for a fool. This band means the world to me, I wouldn't have joined Prop and continued to be a fan for so long if they didn't. It feels horrible that, though WE FANS are the reason that U2 are where they are, and that the people that work for them have the jobs they have, we mean NOTHING. It makes me very angry.

U2luv said:

I fully agree with you. I've been a U2 fanatic for over 20 years. I don't like the feeling I have right now. I don't like feeling like I've been taken for a fool. This band means the world to me, I wouldn't have joined Prop and continued to be a fan for so long if they didn't. It feels horrible that, though WE FANS are the reason that U2 are where they are, and that the people that work for them have the jobs they have, we mean NOTHING. It makes me very angry.

Same here... It's a terrible feeling.

I'm in Saint Louis and paid online.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...mail some letters to PM. I sent one last week, and I'm not even having a subscript problem. I just don't like the fact that Fanfire is ripping people off and being dumb about it.

Maybe if we poke them enough, they'll do something. Works in politics...

pianorocker said:
The squeaky wheel gets the grease...mail some letters to PM. I sent one last week, and I'm not even having a subscript problem. I just don't like the fact that Fanfire is ripping people off and being dumb about it.

I googled PM to see if I could get an address but came up empty. If someone can give me the address, I'll write some letters.

pianorocker said:

Thanks for supporting us in this PianoRocker. It's appreciated. I've already mailed off a couple of letters, also emailed more than a few times to info@numb.ie

What about Signatures Network. Don't they operate Fanfire? I've found a list of contact email addresses on their website. Should I post them here?

I say you post the address of Signatures Network.

I am from Ottawa Canada and paid online (I have two receipts).

I am writing a letter to fanfire and PM. Calling radio stations is a good idea...any phone or fax numbers for PM in US?

There doesn't appear to be any pattern in this though. I've subscribed since about 1987, am based in the UK and didn't re-subscribe during Elevation, yet I've received nothing.

I've re-subscribed at $40 because if Fanfire are anything like the old Prop, it won't get sorted no matter how many times we phone/write. And with the amount of tix that the scalpers will get and flog on eBay, $40 is cheap for at least a chance to get tix at face value.

But do those that were previous prop members who sign up for u2.com get priority, in purchasing tickets, over normal u2.com members?

Last edited:
bull's eye said:
I say you post the address of Signatures Network.

I am from Ottawa Canada and paid online (I have two receipts).

I am writing a letter to fanfire and PM. Calling radio stations is a good idea...any phone or fax numbers for PM in US?

I would just post the URL of the contact page, but apparently I haven't posted enough message yet. I'm copying the relevant part of the contact page. If you want to see the whole thing go to www signaturesnetwork com / contact.html.

Signatures Network, Inc.
2 Bryant Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94105
Telephone: (415) 247-7400
Fax: (415) 247-7407

Press Inquiries
Kathy Conforti, 415/247-7400
press@signaturesnet.com

Artist Relations Information
Rick Fish 415/247-7469
rfish@signaturesnet.com

Customer Service (Consumers) 1-800-767-7160

For questions about tickets or your ticket order
tickethelp@fanfire.com

For questions about your merchandise order
orderhelp@fanfire.com

For questions about your fan club membership - webmaster@fanfire.com

I'm in Chicago and subscribed online in 2000 or 2001 and received 2 issues and that was the end. I moved across town about 11 months ago and emailed Teri of this and got a prompt response stating that my addy change had been taken care of. Then all THIS!........:madspit:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Still no responses to my many e-mails to Fanfire.

Even if I get the letter that I am owed, I am not joining to U2.com site.

I understand your feelings, and I may feel the same way. But we deserve to have that option, and we don't.

I have been screwed by Prop too. I paid for fanfire TWICE. My credit card has yet to be charged. So, once January 15th roll along and tickets start to go on sale I don't even know if Fanfire will serve as a vehicle for me to purchase tickets because they have not even charged my card!!!

I will write to Principal Management.

I had a big long response typed regarding a bunch of the recent posts but I decided against it because I think alot of you would get pissed at me. I understand the frustration and being ticked off though because I would be the same way. But I did have to say a couple things.

If any of you think that U2, Principle, Prop or even FanFire are intentionally ripping anyone off you are just flat out wrong. Come on. Someone screwed up at Prop or FanFire, but there is no way it was intentional.

All the posts about sueing, informing the media, protesting, etc.. Remember to look at the big picture here. You are talking about a $20 subscription discount. How much media attention or attorney attention do you think that is going to get? The whole things sucks but realistically this is such a small percentage of people it is effecting and there are way bigger issues and news out there over this. That would have to be the slowest news day on the planet for it to make any type of broadcast or paper.

I think writing to Principle might be a good idea. Problem is unless you can prove you had an active subscription and didnt get your code I dont think there is much they can do at this point. If you can prove it, then they should be looking into it and getting you a code for the discount.

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the comments Blue Room. :)

I don't care so much about the $20 but it's the possibililty of priority presale tickets.

Blue Room said:
I had a big long response typed regarding a bunch of the recent posts but I decided against it because I think alot of you would get pissed at me. I understand the frustration and being ticked off though because I would be the same way. But I did have to say a couple things.

Thank you. Obviously you got your "letter." Yay for you!

I'm sure it wasn't an intentional error on the part of whoever lost our subscription information. But when YOU pay for something and don't get it, do YOU just say "Oh well" and forget about it? Do you not feel "ripped off"?

What has happened here is wrong. We aren't just talking about a $20 discount. I signed up and paid for 4 issues of Propaganda and first shot at concert tickets when they go on sale. I didn't get either, but they got my money, which Bono points out at every concert is "hard earned."

msbarb, no, I never got a letter. They screwed up my address so I had to go through the BS for a week before my code was emailed to me. Thats why I say I understand the frustration. I'm not trying to belittle any of you so please dont take it that way. I just see alot wild emotional things being said about something that is obviously important to us but not a huge thing in the big scheme of things.

Honestly prior to the discount announcement I had written off Prop completely. We are talking about $20 here and I think everyone got one issue at least. So you are actually talking about $15 really at the most. I wasnt planning any protests about getting my $10 to $15 back prior to the discount announcement and I didnt see any threads about that before it??

bulls eye hit on what I think it bugging most of you about it. The priority over everyone else ticket purchase. Now that is understandable, but I think the regular subscribers are going to have almost as much chance at the tickets. The Prop memberships is such a small percentage of the members. Then spread that accross the planet. I said this before though. You guys may be laughing at those with the subscriptions because I think its going to be an even bigger mess when its time to purchase tickets through FanFire.

Blue Room:

At first I didn't think it was intentional. There was an obvious problem with the database that Fanfire received. My point is that once they realized the database was screwed up, which they must have realized as soon as they started seeing person after person with outdated information and other's not even in the database, they should have done something about it. They haven't. They basically waited for people to call, sometimes giving the code, sometimes not.

After receiving the email that I wasn't in the database, I sent them my proof of subscription and have yet to receive a response. I also don't expect to receive anything. I think they basically gave up. They realized that the problem was too big and the time too short to try to make things right.

They are stealing, they know there are many more people due the $20 discount but will not do anything further to remedy the situation.

Believe me when I say, if you knew you were a subscriber and were told you weren't you'd be pissed.

As I've said before, it's not the money, it's not even the priority ticketing since luckily I have enough money to pay a ticket broker for any good ticket I might want, in any city I decide to travel to. It's the principle.

I suggest they get their shit together for the tickets though, because if that is handled in the same way there will be many many more people that will feel they were robbed.

I think the reason a lot of us are disappointed is because Prop was always run like this for as long as we can remember. Its always been a shambles which has cost us, the fans, more than it should have done due to simple administration problems. We'd hoped the move to a new company would have sorted this out but it seems to be more of the same.

And perhaps even more annoying is the fact that emails are going unanswered so it just looks like we have to live with it.

Understood Blue Room. It's just bad business. People shouldn't take your money and then not be able to deliver, whether it's by accident or intentional... whether it's a little money or a lot. IF they screw up, they should try to make it right. What's big in the scheme of things is relative. Maybe I'm a little idealistic/naive, but I always *KNEW* that we'd be rewarded for our patience with regards to Propaganda shutting down and not knowing how it would be resolved. It's not like they need my measley few bucks. And to be honest, it's not just the money... my feelings are hurt because I was stupid enough to believe it. Pathetic and silly, I know...

ramblin, if you can prove you had an active subscription. I agree, its 100% bullshit. They should be sending you a code. Otherwise, like I said before, there isnt much they could do at this point. If they allowed everyone that sent them an email or phoned them to have the discount without being on the list or proof. Then you would have hundreds possibly thousands of people that didnt actually have active subscriptions calling saying they did so they could get the discount. That would be an even bigger disaster.

I'm expecting tickets to be a disaster. Prop was never GREAT at it either but that always worked out in the end. I think it could be worse with FanFire unfortunately. Maybe we will be suprised.

msbarb, I agree, it is bad business. I think its awful it happened and I think it does make Fanfire and Prop look like idiots. Prop was never run all that well though either, so its a continuation of that really. Its not stupid how you feel. I dont think anyone here thinks its stupid. U2 is important to most of us here, so these type things tend to bother us more than it would most.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

All the posts about sueing, informing the media, protesting, etc.. Remember to look at the big picture here. You are talking about a $20 subscription discount. How much media attention or attorney attention do you think that is going to get? The whole things sucks but realistically this is such a small percentage of people it is effecting and there are way bigger issues and news out there over this. That would have to be the slowest news day on the planet for it to make any type of broadcast or paper.

I think writing to Principle might be a good idea. Problem is unless you can prove you had an active subscription and didnt get your code I dont think there is much they can do at this point. If you can prove it, then they should be looking into it and getting you a code for the discount.

Good luck with it!

You are correct that this most likely was not intentional. BUT, the people that this is affecting got RIPPED OFF. You say it's "just a $20 discount" but think about this one. There are 32 people that have posted JUST ON THIS PARTICULAR THREAD. That's $640 right there. There are many more than that that have posted on other threads as well as on other forums who are also affected. The $20 discount may be small change to you, but to many of us, it's not. It's mainly the principle of the thing anyway, not even the money that is the big deal for me. I don't like how this is making me feel. I feel that I've been let down. I will not be joining U2.com for the very simple fact that I've given them enough money at this point. I'll put the $40 toward the cost of the tickets.
I'm also writing the letters to Principle, to Signature, to whoever I can come up with. This is NOT right. It IS possible to make this right, but nobody is willing to do so.

What do I want to see happen? We wouldn't be so angry if we were LYING about being members. All we are asking is for that discount. ALL of those who have called Fanfire, emailed them, etc, should be given that discount. THAT would make it right. Period.

BlueRoom, this is not an attack on you by any means. I'm very glad that you were able ot get this straightened out on your part. For those of us that can't, even with our Prop numbers, addresses, proof of purchases, etc., this is one way to come up with ways to get what we deserve.

Last edited:
Maybe this has been said before (sorry, I really don't have time to read through 12 pages of posts and I wouldn't be offended if no one read this post) but the problem is U2 are becoming or trying to become too big for their own good. I would have to assume this is why they have dropped Propaganda in lieu of the new electronic nightmare.

I'm sure it is/was their best intention to accomodate their ever-growing fan base but the problem lies in their PR machine. Kudos to the great PR/marketing power engine but did/do U2 really need that much?! They already are bigger than life and have been around forever.

I became a fan way back when all I had was an old "hi-fi" stereo with an 8-track player and remain a fan to this day. I guess I shouldn't be complaining. . .just being able to relate to them and their music is enough - BUT I guess I've taken for granted our relationship as fan and band and everything they've done for us in the past and now they've grown bigger than the relationship and I missed the boat. Kind of like the Titanic. . .I had a ticket (Prop subscription), hopped aboard and it hit an iceberg (Fanfire, Clear Channel -- you pick the iceberg). I guess that's where I/we stand now but there are too many passengers and not enough lifeboats.

l guess it is all that I hope for now is that when we go down with the ship there's an Atlantis at the bottom of the sea and U2 are performing.

In short, this whole new site with our promised code debacle sucks bigtime, but for the devoted, we'll be at the shows in some fashion and enjoy either way. And we'll always have each other, somewhere to share the good times. . .and hopefully always have Interference to continue sharing our thoughts, hopes and memories. Cheers to Interference for keeping up with the times and keeping us all afloat.

Acrobatic said:
**Snipped**l guess it is all that I hope for now is that when we go down with the ship there's an Atlantis at the bottom of the sea and U2 are performing.

What a great visual! :applaud:

There is an email/mailing campaign being started to voice what's been going on with Fanfire and the prop members that are not being serviced. If you wish to participate, please do so. Send emails and letters to the addresses below to "to whom it may concern". Print out the letters and include any copies of proof of your claims as well when emailing as well as mailing. Hopefully this will do something, but even if it doesn't, at least it'll make US feel better for having put a voice to it.

Thanks to Barb from Wire for compiling this list....

This is the list that has been compiled so far. If you have any other relevant email addresses or other info to add, please do!

Signatures Network Email Addresses
dfurano@signaturesnet.com Dell Furano - Chief Executive Officer
dhunt@signaturesnet.com Don Hunt -President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer
dbayless@signaturesnet.com Django Bayless - Vice President, Information Systems and Technology
rfish@signaturesnet.com Rick Fish - Senior Vice President, Artist Relations
press@signaturesnet.com

Mailing Address & Phone Numbers:

Signatures Network, Inc.
2 Bryant Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94105
Telephone: (415) 247-7400
Fax: (415) 247-7407
Customer Service (Consumers) 1-800-767-7160

Principle Management Ltd
30 Sir Rogersons Quay
Dublin 2