Some very unhappy news about the Propaganda Code letters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, if there's one thing I've gotten from this forum, it's that I'm delaying signing up for this subscription. I mailed a letter to PM today...should get there in 4-6 days if the US Postal Service works properly. I hope it helps. :)

My fear of not getting tickets got kind of obvious here. doctorwho & Blue Room are right that U2.com is just one way to get tickets. It's just that I am not lucky when it comes to purchasing good seats to U2 and the pending ticket sales has me a bit stressed.

I hate the idea of paying inflated ticket prices to scalpers because not only does that hurt the finances, but also because I want to bring my kids - so the inflated price will be x 3. U2.com is useless for that show since they only allow 2 tickets.

Also, this is the first tour that I will be trying to get to multiple shows.

pianorocker said:
Well, if there's one thing I've gotten from this forum, it's that I'm delaying signing up for this subscription. I mailed a letter to PM today...should get there in 4-6 days if the US Postal Service works properly. I hope it helps. :)

Did you mail a complaint letter to PM?

just an update to my e-mail responses to Rob at orderhelp@fanfire.com. Since his first response to my e-mail this week, I have not received any further responses from him. I have sent him a total of 5 e-mails. I am doubting Rob is even a real person.

Last edited:
I too had been patiently waiting to hear something from Propoganda and then read this thread. Being the pack rat that I am, I dug up the receipt from Prop. after subscribing in 12/01 emailed it to them and asked them basically - what's up? I'm feeling rather doubtful but what the hell? The whole thing has been handled SO badly. Go gettem Larry!:larry:

anitram said:

Oh, it's for real alright.

She also told me that she is "sorry things didn't work out" for me after I told her that I don't see why I should pay the extra $20. She's also the one who said no discount would be given if you paid $40 then got your code in the mail afterwards.
I ordered a subscription for $40 on 11/22, and then later got the letter and code. I was told that the early order was never accepted and that I should re-order online with the code, which I did for $20. I was afraid then that they'd bill me for both of the orders, but so far haven't been billed for anything...and I finally got this reply to my emails/phone call:

Thank you for your email. The only order we have on file is for the order you placed on 12/6 #1492615. We can assure you that you will not be billed for the order you placed on 11/22 #1464775.
If you have any questions, please contact us at orderhelp@fanfire.com or one
of the following numbers: 1-800-767-7160 or 1-916-939-1000.

Sincerely,
Veronica
FanFire.com Customer Service
==============================================

I have a friend who never got the Prop letter, but should have. He called fanfire and resolved the issue without much trouble...they sent him a code. I'm sorry so many others of you are having such problems. I hope things work out for you all.:( :hug:

Just like a lot of you, I got that dreaded "canned" response from "Rob" about them finding no proof of my membership. I emailed that fanfire.com address back with my original email receipt that I got from Prop after I joined in 5/01. I'm going to follow it up with another phone call today. Of course, I doubt that it's gonna do any good but who knows at this point.

Thanks to everyone here for keeping us informed on what you're doing to try to get your situations resolved. By now, they have GOT to realize there is a problem somewhere.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

Did you mail a complaint letter to PM?

Yeah, I told them what was going on with the subscripts and Fanfire's treatment, and asked them to step in and help get things fixed up. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a solid address for the office in NY, so I could only send it to the one in Ireland. I hope it works.

Same thing happened to me, had a subscription since the second issue back in the 80's, let it lapse during the zooropa/pop years, then re-subscribed in 2001, only to receive 1 back issue, then never to hear from them again- no letter/ no code/ no help from prop or fanfire-

my question/thought is- do you think the u2.com pre-sale will be much like the other ticketmaster pre-sales where you have to go onto ticketmaster.com, punch in the password and then go through the usual ticketmaster.com freeze-ups, "you have 15 seconds to fill in your entire life history"/ "sorry, your seats have been dropped" fiasco?

if, so , i agree with an earlier poster that it probably will make very little difference if you have the code or not, ticket master pre-sales are a joke to begin with, and i don't think anyone who joins is actually guaranteed seats, just an "opportunity" to purchase in a pre-sale- sometimes these pre-sales last for only an hour or so- and then it is shut down until they go on sale to the general public.

Don't hold your breath about getting tickets early.

by the way, i am usually very optimistic, but i have been through the ticketmaster hell once too often.

verte76 said:
I originally signed up in '85, and I got a letter. No worries if you signed up.

Yeah, no worries if you signed up pre2001 that is.....
Is it me or is it obvious that all or most of those who subscribed to Prop in 2001 are being told we aren't Prop subscribers?

I just got some news from a friend from Dublin. He went to PM yesterday on my behalf. Here are the results, not good....

"I'm afraid I struck out at Principe Management. I got to the gate
yesterday afternoon and I was met by a security guard. he asked me the nature of my business and without confusing him to much I told him briefly. he then buzzed an intercom and spoke to a person inside. A lady came out and I stated the case and in mid-sentence, she interupted me and said that the matter had nothing got to do with them and it was strictly the responsibility of the parties involved. I asked her if there was any chance that they could intervene and make some enquiries into thesituation as it was unacceptable, at this stage I was attempting to hand her over the paper info on the situation with all the details but she turned away, saying there's nothing we can do about it here. I am sorry, I felt like I was being spoken to like a child. They just couldn't be bothered, that's the truth. They're in the business of making money. Fan's to them aren't worth bothering about. I do hope that maybe you and the rest of those that have not got result from U2 and Fanfire may form a lobby group and maybe petition them."

Seems that PM has washed their hands of the entire situation....

That's really sad. I haven't received any response to my email to Rob and I really don't think I will.

Seems like U2 and PM have gotten too big to really care about it. I wonder who they think actually made them big?

Guinness Stout said:

my question/thought is- do you think the u2.com pre-sale will be much like the other ticketmaster pre-sales where you have to go onto ticketmaster.com, punch in the password and then go through the usual ticketmaster.com freeze-ups, "you have 15 seconds to fill in your entire life history"/ "sorry, your seats have been dropped" fiasco?

Don't hold your breath about getting tickets early.

by the way, i am usually very optimistic, but i have been through the ticketmaster hell once too often.

No, its really not a pre sale. Fanfire is going to try to reserve tickets for the number of subscribers they have. The Ticketmaster pre sales are typically they have 100 tickets for 1 show and open it up to everyone, once those are gone the pre sale is over. Fanfire is almost guaranteeing you tickets if you are subscribed. It will be more of a question of will you be able to get the specific show you want to go to (IE the first show in Boston) as there will be a huge demand for that. They will probebly substitute or give you the option of the purchasing the 2nd night instead as Prop did in the past. So if you are in a high demand area or plan to go to one of those shows I think you might want to look into getting the normal subscription anyway. You are at least increasing your odds. Other markets I think you will do just as well going through TM so I wouldnt worry about it.

I'm not surprised about the Principle thing. Fanfire is a subcontractor that they basically hired and they are telling them to handle the situation as they dont have the people to handle it. Now if they receive a number of complaints they may not use Fanfire again once the contract is expired. But basically right now its completely in Fanfire's hands unfortunately. Even the staff of the former Propaganda is no longer involved, they are handling other things for the U2 segment of Principle now.

Its quite clear that there was a screw up in the database for those that subscribed in 2001. That appears to be the people that are not on the list at all for some reason.

Blue Room said:

Its quite clear that there was a screw up in the database for those that subscribed in 2001. That appears to be the people that are not on the list at all for some reason.

Which is exactly why PM has to be involved. THEY are the ones that turned over that list to Fanfire. Yet, they refuse to even listen to the fans that there are problems or attempt to correct that situation.

U2luv said:

Which is exactly why PM has to be involved. THEY are the ones that turned over that list to Fanfire. Yet, they refuse to even listen to the fans that there are problems or attempt to correct that situation.

Well, not really. Propaganda really wasnt a part of Principle technically either. They were associated obviously but they were not the same organization. Principle would not be the ones that turned over the database, it would have been Propaganda which is now defunct. So essentially there is no one to go to now except Fanfire unfortunately. We will probebly never know whether Prop turned over the entire database and its Fanfire thats screwing up or whether it was Prop that screwed up. Either way I dont think Principle is going to be any help at this point. Fanfire was basically told that those on the database list are the only ones to get the special subscription. So they are doing what they were told. Again, it comes down to who screwed up the database.

Sure Principle could put the lean on Fanfire and maybe something would get done. But I think they are busier with album marketing and tour plans at the moment. Certainly cant hurt to try to get ahold of them or Cecilia. But it doesnt appear that they are willing or maybe not capable of doing anything about it at this point. I do agree it sucks.

Last edited:
When you add up the cost to join U2.com, the stress and hassles involved in joining U2.com and the stress of not knowing if you'll be able to get tix to the shows you want by joining, though it really makes me sick to say so, a broker may just be the route to go. I dunno, this whole fiasco has put a knot in my stomach! Fuck the suits! :madspit:

I too became a prop subscriber in 2001 but I haven't received positive responses to emails (which included my electronic receipt, etc). I've called them...those that answer are not in the know.

Is there anything that we can do as a group to put pressure on fanfire, U2, PM or what? I've worked in politics and I have some experience organizing but is anyone else interested? Is it worth it?

Maybe I'll just suck it up, pay the $40 and try to forget about it but I just feel that the band is indirectly leaving us out in the cold so to speak.

bull's eye said:
I too became a prop subscriber in 2001 but I haven't received positive responses to emails (which included my electronic receipt, etc). I've called them...those that answer are not in the know.

Is there anything that we can do as a group to put pressure on fanfire, U2, PM or what? I've worked in politics and I have some experience organizing but is anyone else interested? Is it worth it?

Maybe I'll just suck it up, pay the $40 and try to forget about it but I just feel that the band is indirectly leaving us out in the cold so to speak.

I've had the same experience. Subscribed in 2001, received a couple of Prop issues and waited, apparently, for this disappointing news. All along I just knew that U2 (or whoever) would make this up to us. I've emailed and phoned FanFire with no satisfaction whatsoever.

This situation is just wrong. We paid our money just like everyone else. I'd have been happier if Propaganda had just disappeared and said they were going to donate the unused subscription money to some worthy charity. But for some to get the "letter" and others to be ignored is just unbelievably bad business.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't even prove I had a membership. I have two Prop magazines, but they came in poly-wrap with the address labels on the poly. It never crossed my mind I should have to save them as proof that I subscribed. Who would ever expect to be ripped off by U2's fan club?

I'd like to help if there is an organized effort to bring this to light. The sooner the better. There is no way I'm throwing $40 at FanFire after the treatment I've already received.

All you need is for one media outlet (MTV, Rolling Stone, don't care who) to put out an article entitled "Fans sue U2." and you can bet your ass that we'd get our codes pronto, if not free memberships and a public apology.

Sorry, but I think a lot of you are suckers for paying the $40 even though you know you should be paying $20. I know it would really suck to miss the show, but how about standing up for your rights as a consumer and fan of the band? Show some self respect. If everyone lies down like a dog than a lot of people are going to suffer for it.

I'm sure there's a big disconnect between the band and Fanfire so I'm not advocating boycotting U2. But I'm not giving $40 because they are either disorganized or are intentionally giving people the shaft.

Besides, who knows what kind of seats will be available after the recognized Prop transfers get their crack? I'm not looking forward to paying $40 so I can get a couple of $80 seats.

This is all BS and we would be better served by not playing ball, and organizing some kind of formal protest and petition instead.

Whoever is connected or can reach the necessary parties should get workin'.

laz

anitram said:
All you need is for one media outlet (MTV, Rolling Stone, don't care who) to put out an article entitled "Fans sue U2." and you can bet your ass that we'd get our codes pronto, if not free memberships and a public apology.

You know, a friend of mine did suggest writing a "letter to the editor" or some such to a big magazine or newspaper. Preferably one that holds U2 in very high regard.

I'm sure there's a big disconnect between the band and Fanfire so I'm not advocating boycotting U2. But I'm not giving $40 because they are either disorganized or are intentionally giving people the shaft.

That's the real issue here. We fans are being ripped off and this whole fiasco is making U2 look VERY bad right now. I agree, I've decided that putting another $40 into this is not worth it to me. The money would IMO be better suited to going toward the tix that I will be working on buying.
Any ideas on what we can do would be great.

Ok...it looks like there's some interest in making this story known. Can we actually sue u2 or fanfire? Should we if we could? Maybe letters to the editor would be a good idea. Has anyone started a website or a petition about this? Perhaps bombarding PM (with faxes, calls, visits, emails) until they can't hear themselves think would yield results.

I wonder how many people are in the similar situation.

The following headline would not look good: "U2 and fanclub leave biggest fans in the cold"!

I don't know...

I have a question for those who posted here. Where are you from? Are we all from the US? How did you pay for the Prop subscription originally, online or by snailmail? I'm just wanting to find out if there is any correlation.

I'm from the Boston area and I paid for the Prop membership online.

U2luv said:
I have a question for those who posted here. Where are you from? Are we all from the US? How did you pay for the Prop subscription originally, online or by snailmail? I'm just wanting to find out if there is any correlation.

I'm from the Boston area and I paid for the Prop membership online.

Same here - Boston area and online. :wave:

ultrraviolette said:
It IS making U2 look crappy, and I think it is botched because they rushed it too much to be up for the album release.

What rush? We've known about this fanfire thing since at least the beginning of the year. They had months to plan, test, double check do everything possible so that the site, fanclub, and store was launched without a hitch.

If they had any competence not only would things have run smoothly, but it would have been ready on November 23rd.

Think about it, not only has this prop thing been a fiasco but the store is another sham. They specifically advertised these new items as "just in time for Christmas", I will be amazed if anything I ordered as soon as the site went up (meaning December 4th) will arrive in time for Christmas. Do you think I have received one email telling me "Oh by the way, sorry but these items will not ship in time" as any other reputable online store has done for me? No. On the contrary, they even had to take the "order status" page down.

I don't want to blame U2 because I think as far as they're concerned they hired someone to do the job. The people they hired suck and should be fired. Who did fanfire think U2 was; KISS?

I guess the fact that my job requires extreme efficiency makes me extremely intolerant of this whole fanfire fiasco.

And U2luv I am in the U.S. and paid for my membership online via credit card. I sent a response (with details of my membership, payment, issues received etc) to the infamous Rob, copying the numb.ie address and Terri (just for the heck of it) and have not received so much as an automated response, although none of the addresses bounced back.

For me it's not about the money, it's the principle, they (fanfire, propaganda or both) have intentionally ripped people off. And what's worse they know they will get away with it.

I wonder if PM will think differently if instead of there being fans shouting praise outside of the RNRHOF induction ceremony they find people holding picket signs? How funny would that be, seems like something Bono would do, no?

Hi BostonAnne :wave:

Another idea I just came up with.... calling all the local radio stations, especially the ones that play U2 ALOT. Telling the DJ's the story would get the news out real quick.

Back
Top Bottom